Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 02:52 PM

678 posts, read 875,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
People put California on a pedestal. California is the poorest, most unequal state with terrible schools, flaky and self-centered people, little public transit and a newly inhospitable hot and arid climate thanks to climate change. It's like Florida without water.

I don't think Canada is more innovative than the States, I just don't really see how it's less so considering most new products today from the US aren't original at all but are merely new versions of old products and/or cash cows or very tacky and corporate. I'm not just talking about tech, but about cultural products like music too. Given its size Canada produces better quality music than the United States, and many "American" movies have Canadians behind them.
This is very accurate.
California is overrated. If you think inventing a superficial/hollywood/materialistic/gold-digging lifestyle where people need to have the latest iphone all the time and spit on introverts and create people who are more impressed with an instragram celebrity or a crappy DJ versus a doctor who saves lives or even a social worker who helps children and literally claim living in LA is worth being around all the "famous" people than I seriously feel sorry for you.
You can't get any more basic than moving to California from somewhere else.
California will run out of water soon and will become a raisin. The air here will get worse and taste like a dry band-aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:53 PM

813 posts, read 601,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
... off topic, and I don't disagree with you, I think valsteele is being overly dismissive of US innovation and unrealistic about Canada's level of innovation - but what exactly do you think people smoke in hookah bars? Your comment implies that you may have been... greatly misinformed about what sorts of things are consumed there.
Flavored tobaccos, but I'm not sure because I have never been in one (correct me if I'm wrong). But in my uninformed mind I picture people sitting around smoking and solving world problems in hookah bars (kinda like old men drinking coffee in a donut shop) If I'm wrong let me know, I'm not an expert on hookah bars.

PS If I offended any hookh bar patrons I apologize, it was not my intent.

Last edited by raggedjim; 04-09-2015 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Apology to hookah bar patrons

Old 04-09-2015, 02:56 PM

428 posts, read 451,083 times
One of the problems with Canada is that we are too attractive to American potheads instead of brainiacs. FYI valsteele we something called "brain drain" meaning that the most highly educated and qualified Canadians have a tendency to move to the US.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:02 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
Your ignorance is astounding valsteel. For starters consider johnson & johnson, ge, medtronic
then consider intel, amd, nvidia

Old 04-09-2015, 03:22 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
One of the problems with Canada is that we are too attractive to American potheads instead of brainiacs. FYI valsteele we something called "brain drain" meaning that the most highly educated and qualified Canadians have a tendency to move to the US.
I don't see why they wouldn't move to a bigger market. It's not that conservative American policy is superior, it's that it's a larger ballpark to play in.

What has America created in 15 years that is truly innovative, aside from social networking?

Old 04-09-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I don't see why they wouldn't move to a bigger market. It's not that conservative American policy is superior, it's that it's a larger ballpark to play in.

What has America created in 15 years that is truly innovative, aside from social networking?
You mean besides revolutionary drugs medical devices and microchip technology? Where to start.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
You mean besides revolutionary drugs medical devices and microchip technology? Where to start.
Since 2000? Maybe since 1970. I just can't think of any revolutionary cultural, technological or musical movement that has come from the US since the year 2000 aside from social networking and the iPhone. The pop culture is crap.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
According to Bloomberg Canada ranks 11th globally for innovation. The U.S ranked 3rd

http://images.businessweek.com/bloom...014_011714.pdf

Old 04-09-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Since 2000? Maybe since 1970. I just can't think of any revolutionary cultural, technological or musical movement that has come from the US since the year 2000 aside from social networking and the iPhone. The pop culture is crap.
Thank hip hop for that.

A recent cultural movement from the US would be the advent of film quality television, which has now become the standard and being replicated in other countries. technological would be the shrinking of microchips and power reductions enabling mobile phones with the processing power of desktops, improvements in battery technology, improvements in computer graphics and special effects, the proliferation of drugs and medical devices etc. And what is the iphone an example of, innovation in visual design?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Thank hip hop for that.

A recent cultural movement from the US would be the advent of film quality television, which has now become the standard and being replicated in other countries. technological would be the shrinking of microchips and power reductions enabling mobile phones with the processing power of desktops, improvements in battery technology, improvements in computer graphics and special effects, the proliferation of drugs and medical devices etc. And what is the iphone an example of, innovation in visual design?
Considering the US has 300 million people it's no wonder it would have more innovation in total than other countries. But like I said, the past 15 years have seen a decline in American entrepreneurship. In fact most of the past 40 years have, and I think it's largely due to Reaganomics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada