Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Apples and oranges. Compare Vancouver to new World cities, the category it belongs in. What is the point of comparing Vancouver against cities that have 1000 years or more of history? That is simply insane.

Vancouver is 129 years old. Why not compare Vancouver to Paris etc when they were 129 years old? It makes about as much sense.

You also ignore what Vancouver has done with it's setting. Compare what Seattle has done, then we start to get somewhere on beauty and charm.
People who visit these cities don't care about this. It is the current status that matters. I wouldn't call that apples and oranges.

I am not saying Vancouver is an ugly city, but I wouldn't call it a beautiful city. Its layout is fine, but the architecture, public space of the city etc. are simply not "beautiful".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Who says TO doesn't have nature? The city is doing quite a bit to put up little pots of plants around the city. That's nature enough for me.
I remember John Street is supposed to have a big deal "revitalization plan" (or even "extreme makeover"), with new pavement, wide sidewalk, trees, public art etc.

6 years later, what they did was to put some planters in the middle of John st. Instantly revitalized and beautified! How easy is that!
Attached Thumbnails
Are most canadians pro or anti mass immigration-image.jpg  

Old 04-21-2015, 01:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
People who visit these cities don't care about this. It is the current status that matters. I wouldn't call that apples and oranges.

I am not saying Vancouver is an ugly city, but I wouldn't call it a beautiful city. Its layout is fine, but the architecture, public space of the city etc. are simply not "beautiful".
Well as the cliche goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll never convince you or you me of what is beautiful. If the world did, some of us would never get a date.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Well as the cliche goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll never convince you or you me of what is beautiful. If the world did, some of us would never get a date.
that's true.
I don't find San Francisco a particularly beautiful city for the some reason.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Who says TO doesn't have nature? The city is doing quite a bit to put up little pots of plants around the city. That's nature enough for me.
Ok modification to May 1st - explore Toronto's Ravine System lol... J/K but seriously there are some awesome ravines/parks in the city if one is into that thing..

Old 04-21-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
^ Downtown Vancouver looks very much like CityPlace Toronto, I mean, if you ignore the nature part of it.

I will never say Vancouver is a beautiful city, in the same sense I say Barcelona or Paris are beautiful cities. I can only say where Vancouver is located is beautiful, because the human made part of Vancouver is really average looking and bears little charm.
I'm not as anti glass condo I suppose as some.. For some reason Vancouvers Condo's and the layout of the city doesn't bother me as much as Cityplace. I think Cityplace just needs some more time to mature and become more connected with the city - particularly to King West/lib villiage. With that said, a few of Cityplace's condo's aren't hideous - Montage kind of grew on me as does that all white one they just built.. The final two projects look actually really impressive imo.. They are listed on one of my top ten lists in the Toronto section. Hopefully the turn out as good as the renders.

The human made part of most residential highrise projects in the world looks pretty average to me.. They don't make em like they used to. I don't mind a glass condo but some variation in materials/colours/textures would be nice.. Even all one height gets a bit boring...

Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not as anti glass condo I suppose as some.. For some reason Vancouvers Condo's and the layout of the city doesn't bother me as much as Cityplace. I think Cityplace just needs some more time to mature and become more connected with the city - particularly to King West/lib villiage. With that said, a few of Cityplace's condo's aren't hideous - Montage kind of grew on me as does that all white one they just built.. The final two projects look actually really impressive imo.. They are listed on one of my top ten lists in the Toronto section. Hopefully the turn out as good as the renders.

The human made part of most residential highrise projects in the world looks pretty average to me.. They don't make em like they used to. I don't mind a glass condo but some variation in materials/colours/textures would be nice.. Even all one height gets a bit boring...
The difference between Cityplace and Vancouver's neighbourhood where most of the glass condo's exist, is that Yaletown is very much connected to the rest of the downtown. It is a seamless transition. Whereas CityPlace feels disconnected a bit.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
The difference between Cityplace and Vancouver's neighbourhood where most of the glass condo's exist, is that Yaletown is very much connected to the rest of the downtown. It is a seamless transition. Whereas CityPlace feels disconnected a bit.
A big part of that is because the entire area around it has been largely undeveloped.. 12 years ago it was barren railyards... With that said, almost by the day Cityplace is becoming more connected with Liberty villiage to the west and Southcore to the East, not to mention the Queens Quay revitalization going on.. Another decade and that what is somewhat disconnected will be very connected - the trees planted will be further along in growth and they will be more amenities in the area so it'll become a better neighbourhood imo.. Its still a work in progress.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-22-2015 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada