Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,394,003 times

Advertisements

Prefably rural areas in/around NL, northern alberta, northern ontario, and northern SK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:11 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,527,463 times
Depends on what your worldview is.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:22 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,546,325 times
I live in the de facto capital of Northern Ontario. Lots of people come into the city from their literal cottage houses in the middle of nowhere, anywhere from a half hour to an hour or more outside of town. I see snowmobiles plowing down the street almost daily in the winter, and ATVs doing the same during the spring, summer, and fall months.

I don't know exactly what you're looking to learn about the lifestyle, though. Most people who live out there are financially well off, working some sort of trade or natural resource job. You'd kind of have to be making good money to afford the boats and recreational vehicles most seem to be really in to.

Everyone here in Sudbury eats potatoes grown on small farms from this tiny place called Azilda 10 kilometres away.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:23 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,181,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Depends on what your worldview is.
Rather, depends on your willingness to grow and adapt.

There are always limitations to places we live in. Some we are willing to accept, and some we are not. Find that fine balance, and you'd be a happy man anywhere.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,527,463 times
If the OP is a Communist, s/he might want to consider Alberta...

Old 05-06-2015, 01:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,117,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
Prefably rural areas in/around NL, northern alberta, northern ontario, and northern SK.
How far north are you thinking of? Above or below the boreal tree line? Do you like muskeg, mosquitoes and noseeums?

Old 05-06-2015, 06:07 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,394,003 times
Mid labrador is furthest north. Regarding bugs i dont care anout them, im used to them. I dont need boats, an atv/snow mobile would be cool, not needed. All i would want is to live well in a nice rural area. Which is lacking very much so down here.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,462,436 times
Have you investigated IF you are qualified to be considered as an Immigrant to Canada ?

You can't just "decide to move to Canada ". You MUST apply and be accepted by the Government of Canada, as a potential Immigrant. Many apply, and are rejected, based on many factors. Never assume.

Being approved is based on "what actual formal education, employment skills and financial stability do you have " Furthermore, you must have at least a year's worth of savings in the bank, to support yourself, when you come here, to live and work. How is your health ? Do you have a 100 percent clean criminal conviction record, with no felonies, or drug use.

Formal education is defined as having a 4 year University degree, with three years of direct employment that related to your degree field..........OR being a State certified skilled trades person, with three years of direct employment experience. Do YOU qualify ?

Canada is looking for educated, skilled people, who can find work here, and fit into our society.

I strongly suggest that you READ this Canadian Government Immigration information website.

Make notes as you read it, and save it on your computer.

Immigrate to Canada

Jim B.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,117,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
Mid labrador is furthest north. Regarding bugs i dont care anout them, im used to them. I dont need boats, an atv/snow mobile would be cool, not needed. All i would want is to live well in a nice rural area. Which is lacking very much so down here.
I think you need to get more specific. Take a really close up look at a map of Canada and study up a bit on the geography then pick a town or two within northern Canada to ask about. There is no such thing as "rural" anywhere in the parts of northern Canada where there are no towns. Just deadly uninhabitable wilderness. If there are no towns in a given area then it means it's all inaccessible wilderness that belongs to the Crown, no roads, no services, no people, no industries, no agriculture possible, all muskeg and impossible for humans to access even on foot, let alone survive it for more than a week.

Also, do as Canadian Citizen suggested and find out first if you would qualify to live in Canada.

I read some of your posts where you asked the same question in the Alaska forum. Keep in mind that Canada isn't permitting immigrants who want to become hermits living alone off the land in the bush and not being an active participant of society contributing needed skills.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-06-2015 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada