Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 PM

86 posts, read 126,861 times

Advertisements

I do like how it is posited that the Canadians in question were guilty first. Knowing and having experienced American tourists first hand, this post seems speculative.

Perhaps the question should more likely be, "When did Americans stop being *******s?". Cause a perfectly innocent American in another country on the receiving end of mistreatment is not usually how the narrative goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 03:45 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, Laurier is on the $5, Macdonald is on the $10, King is on the $50, and Borden is on the $100. They're all dead. I think Terry Fox made it onto a quarter one year also.
Canada is about 140 years old ... and there are no notable characters in that 140 years (other than the Trudeau Queen pirouette) ... so which dead people are on Canadian currency? Do I need bigger currency to see the picture?

Last edited by Lieneke; 05-31-2015 at 03:54 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
I do like how it is posited that the Canadians in question were guilty first. Knowing and having experienced American tourists first hand, this post seems speculative.

Perhaps the question should more likely be, "When did Americans stop being *******s?". Cause a perfectly innocent American in another country on the receiving end of mistreatment is not usually how the narrative goes.
The Canadians are not guilty. A couple of bozos from Michigan drove to the country in the North with a bunch of friends and belly-ached because they could not be pigs ... that is, they expected that they had special rights in a foreign country because they are US foreigners.

Everyone knows that US foreigners can be pigs in foreign countries ... that's why US youth attach Canadian flags to their backpacks ... hiding from the pig culture.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
lol - ummm yeah they are most certainly all dead - many many years have gone by since they passed... The Queen actually was pretty when King passed though she wasn't quite Queen yet..
Does that mean that we should replace the polar bear and loonie with dead guys? Sheesh. That's really weird, eh.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:27 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Just got back from camping in Ontario...first trip to Canada in 2 years
used to be impressed with how nice/friendly Canadians were

this time...jeezus...people were rude, obnoxious...didn't want to do exchange rate and INSISTED we were at par which is total bs...looked at the American dollar like it was dog poop

And the Ontario Park Police or whatever the park cop wannabees are called were complete douche bags

We were NOT in an alcohol free park...we were walking back from the beach (at the Pinery in Sarnia) when one of the Ontario Rent a cops pulls up, whips out his flash light and barks "what are you doing"

We told him, and he shined his light on the beer my friend had and asked "where are you from"
we told him "Michigan" and the DB replied "I though people in Michigan carried their booze in brown paper bags" and his db partner cop wannabee laughed...then he said "dump that...NOW...in front of me"...then got back in his "squad car" and sped off into the night...I wanted to tell him "don't you know back in the states cops get killed for no reason" but thought it best to keep quiet

This is just one incident...there was just a rudeness I was not expecting in Canada...did we do something to **** off the Canadians?? We wont be back next year...

also...do you think the Pinery Provincial Park could actually level off the camp sites they assign to 35 foot travel trailers?? You cant possibly level your trailer in half these sites...

If you live in Michigan you should know that the stores up there also accept Canadian currency but at their exchange rate. Stores are not banks, you should not expect them to exchange your money for basically free regardless of what side of the border they are on. Use a credit card, then no problems with the exchange rates.

As far as the beer in the provincial park, well those type of rules are not uncommon. I live in Tennessee and some of our state parks don't allow alcohol either, so your experience would have been similar here. Too many people get drunk and stupid in campgrounds so you end up with strict rules regarding drinking. Going to Canada and dishing out attitude while talking up your status as an American just makes all of us look bad. I wont even comment on your statement about cops getting killed. Not funny at all. I am pretty sure your behavior would not be considered acceptable here in Tennessee either. Maybe in Michigan it is. Ive never had major issues in Canada, never met rude people over there. However if more folks like the OP visit that may change in the near future. There is only so much defecation they are going to willing to take from our finest citizens when they visit the land of hockey and maple syrup.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 AM

Being Canadian et al, it's not so bad after all.

What if the country to the South was the US. In the US the country to the South is Mexico, and far be it for US people to recognize that they are the country to the South.

The Great White North, eh.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Gee, I have an idea: why doesn't someone in Canada focus instead on 8th grade CANADIANS? I would think that would be far more relevant to Canadians and viewers of the CBC. Conduct a study to determine what, if anything, 8th graders know about Canada outside of their home provinces. Betcha any money the results wouldn't be anything to brag about.

I'm not ASSUMING that the average Canadian has little first-hand knowledge of other provinces. I know it. I'm Canadian. But, as usual, Canadians want to focus on the shortcomings of their neighbors. Doesn't that become boring after a while?
And still with Canadians not knowing much about Canada...

Lieneke on this thread has said there are no dead guys on Canada's money!!!!

Sorry to pick on you Lieneke but that is a prime example of the stuff you hear all the time from Canadians!

Old 05-31-2015, 07:12 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Well, to be fair, my dog was rather gassy this afternoon, and that too was better than anything Alanis Morrisette ever said, as well.

So, there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What a hag. Canada has to deal with her the same way that we have to deal with ... you name em....
What is with all this hating on Alanis?

Old 05-31-2015, 08:13 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
^^ She stinks.

lol

Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The Canadians are not guilty. A couple of bozos from Michigan drove to the country in the North with a bunch of friends and belly-ached because they could not be pigs ... that is, they expected that they had special rights in a foreign country because they are US foreigners.

Everyone knows that US foreigners can be pigs in foreign countries ... that's why US youth attach Canadian flags to their backpacks ... hiding from the pig culture.
I guess you must be an example of the iconic "Kinder, Gentler Canadian."

The OP sounds like he needs a major attitude adjustment, no question.

But do you honestly believe that it's only US tourists who can be "pigs"? I'm sorry, Lieneke, but it sounds to me like you've lived a sheltered life, and that you've rarely been outside your own local environment. Have you seen Americans posing as Canadians when you've traveled overseas? (I've heard about this phenomenon often enough to know that it must happen, but I've never seen it or heard about any Americans doing it. And I know just a few Americans, most of whom are at least reasonably well travelled)

Tourists from many countries can be jerks. And that includes - you might wanna sit down for this - Canadians. I've seen many obnoxious, entitled Canadian tourists in Florida who seem to honestly believe that the state is their own back yard in which they should be able to do whatever they want. And to stay as long as they want. I wonder how Canadians would react to hundreds of thousands of Americans descending on, say, Vancouver Island AND staying for 6 months EVERY single year.

Years ago, I worked as a sales rep and tour guide at a large Niagara winery. We received tourists by the hundreds (and thousands, depending on the season) every week. Busloads of 'em. At least half were Americans, mostly from the Midwest and Northeast, but we got a fair share of Europeans and Japanese visitors, as well (the Japanese LOVE Canadian ice wines and purchased cases of them. $$ ).

We had the very occasional jerk, including the stereotypical American who expected to be able to pay in US currency with the best exchange rate, of course. They irritated me to no end. We got lots of locals in, who could be rude and demanding, as customers anywhere can be. They annoyed me. We received Canadians from other provinces, like BC, who were cynical about Ontario's rapidly expanding wine industry and award-winning wines, and made sure we knew what they thought. I dealt with several people from BC who felt the need to immediately begin arguing during tours that BC's VQAs were as good, if not better!, than Ontario's, you know. They got on my wick, big time. One group of European visitors we served loudly and dramatically spat out the wine in front of other tourists, and, speaking German, condescendingly referred to Canadian wines as "pi $$" (one of the other tour guides spoke fluent German).

The overwhelming majority of our visitors though, including about 98% of those from the US, were lovely and a pleasure to serve. Other than sometimes having to cut them off of any more tastings because they were partaking just a little too much (the senior citizens were often the most guilty ), they were courtous, humble, inquisitive and appreciative of anything we did for them.

And, FWIW, it was the American tourists who, at least back then, supported the Canadian wine industry better than did Canadians. They were far more likely to buy more expensive varietals and limited edition wines than were Canadians, and complained far less about price.

I loved that job, and if we hadn't moved to the US, I might very well still work for the Ontario wine industry, albeit in another capacity.

Support the Canadian wine industry, people!!

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-31-2015 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada