Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Advertisements

you guys have different brands then here in B.C. were it is Dairyland and Lucerne (Safeway's in store brand )are the most common depending on where you shop never seen Lactantia or maybe I missed seeing it in the Dairy section?

Also purchase Kraft Cracker Barrel or Black Diamond cheeses generally

Last edited by GTOlover; 08-19-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
you guys have different brands then here in B.C. were it is Dairyland and Lucerne (Safeway's in store brand )are the most common depending on where you shop never seen Lactantia or maybe I missed seeing it in the Dairy section?

Also purchase Kraft Cracker Barrel or Black Diamond cheeses generally
Lactania, I've only seen butter, not milk here in B.C. Dairyland, and Lucerne as you said are the largest. Bigger pocket books may buy Avalon Organic.

As for cheese....modified milk in cheese is sort of cheating the process. That's why when buying cheddar although expensive, I splurge on Balderson's from Ontario. More flavour so I use less.

"Modified milk ingredients also called natural milk constituents are umbrella terms for a group of milk products which have an altered chemical state from that which is naturally found in milk.'

Old 08-19-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Lactania, I've only seen butter, not milk here in B.C. Dairyland, and Lucerne as you said are the largest. Bigger pocket books may buy Avalon Organic.

As for cheese....modified milk in cheese is sort of cheating the process. That's why when buying cheddar although expensive, I splurge on Balderson's from Ontario. More flavour so I use less.

"Modified milk ingredients also called natural milk constituents are umbrella terms for a group of milk products which have an altered chemical state from that which is naturally found in milk.'
hmm I use Becel Margarine instead of butter but it is almost chemically artificially close to tasting like Real butter

P.S. do not tell anyone I still use my Grandmothers old Crisco shortening recipe to make my homemade chocolate chip cookies it is my secret ingredient lots of healthy Trans-fats in that

But it is like MSG it just makes some foods just taste so much better with it then without it plus everything is allright moderation.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm I use Becel Margarine instead of butter but it is almost chemically artificially close to tasting like Real butter

P.S. do not tell anyone I still use my Grandmothers old Crisco shortening recipe to make my homemade chocolate chip cookies it is my secret ingredient lots of healthy Trans-fats in that

But it is like MSG it just makes some foods just taste so much better with it then without it plus everything is allright moderation.
I'm a child of the sixties. Glow in the dark ingredients of a mysterious origin are still in my system

I " try " to eat healthier but I'm not so strict that I don't succumb to a Joe Louis once in a while.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I'm a child of the sixties. Glow in the dark ingredients of a mysterious origin are still in my system

I " try " to eat healthier but I'm not so strict that I don't succumb to a Joe Louis once in a while.
I hear ya eating healthy all the time is not so fun unless you have cheat day or two once and a while

The best treat I find is finding a ice Cold "The Pop Shoppe" Root Beer or Cream Soda in old school Glass bottles hard to find but very Canadian and some Great tasting Soda using real cane sugar

Old 08-19-2015, 06:38 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
e.
It's called LSD.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
It's called LSD.
LOL...when I said I was a child, I really meant a child. Sugar was my drug.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I just finished off half litre of half cream from Lactantia this morning that had a bunch of additives in the ingredients. I used it to help write my OP.

From what I've noticed, skimmer milks tend to be more pure, while fattier ones get things you wouldn't expect. Maybe it's just different in BC. I'm gonna go to the supermarket tomorrow and have another investigation.

Update: I have a container of 14% fat Beatrice sour cream and it also has a bunch of not cream things in it.
Well I remembered to check the milk. I looked at Skim, 1 percent, 2 percent, 3.25 percent, half and half and whipping cream.

All just say milk or cream with an added vitamin of either A or D.

Nothing else.

The sour cream did have a few more ingredients of thickeners ( gum ) and stabilizers, but nothing that looked to odd.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:55 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Well I remembered to check the milk. I looked at Skim, 1 percent, 2 percent, 3.25 percent, half and half and whipping cream.

All just say milk or cream with an added vitamin of either A or D.

Nothing else.

The sour cream did have a few more ingredients of thickeners ( gum ) and stabilizers, but nothing that looked to odd.
I looked at Beatrice and Dairyland and the ingredients are as above - milk, cream.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:02 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I have, figuring exactly as you did. It apparently does make a difference, as you are essentially just letting cream sit at a warm temperature overnight to 'clot', and it must be fatty enough to do so without tampering. It simply won't work with whipping cream-grade cream. I've tried many times now.

At one point I did more research, and back in the UK, they typically opt for 'double cream' (~40%) for it to work best. I found some people who claim 36% to work but I couldn't get it to with 35%. I went as far as getting organic cream with no additives at all from a local food co-op, but it just won't work. I was also careful to make sure nothing I used was ultra-pasteurized, which kills the bacteria you want to stimulate the clotting.

I watch people pour the cream into a dutch oven on Youtube videos, and it is almost not even liquid. More like molasses in consistency.

True. My mom has a membership so I should hitch with her on a trip.

Also, I never thought Sudbury to be as isolated as people make it seem. Pretty close to a Michigan border, and about 350km North the Trans-Canada from the country's largest city, and the only major place between there and Thunder Bay.
I grew up on raw milk as my father was a dairy farmer and one of the Mennonite foods we ate, which probably has a correlation elsewhere under a different name, was thickened milk - in the summer we let a gallon of raw milk stand on the kitchen counter and the following morning it was thick and sour. It was then refrigerated. We ate it with salt and pepper and chopped green onions. Other people added raw sliced cucumbers to it. It tasted like buttermilk and was refreshing on hot days. It was only possible to make it with raw milk as pasteurized milk will rot, not sour when left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada