Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times

Advertisements

Like ... none?

Maayyyyybbeee Toronto and that's stretching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 10:01 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Default There is no equivalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
*Sigh* Within a few hundered years, someone's gonna try to match a Martian city to an 'equivalent' American city...
You'd have to have a Canadian city with over fifty percent speaking Spanish as a first language and Asians without money. Canada does have Latin "elites" coming up to Vancouver and Toronto as there are no questions up here on where the dinero came from. Asians up here have money i.e. Mandarin, Taiwanese.

There is no Canadian city with freeways except maybe Toronto. We took Arthur Ericksons advice and tried to avoid the whole "freeway" thing and it looks good.

Toronto has immigrant communities mainly from Africa, and a lot of them are actually Christian.
Canada just recently started requiring a Visa from Mexico and Czechslovakia as we were getting a "wave" of people coming in and then applying permanently, jumping the line.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:31 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
You'd have to have a Canadian city with over fifty percent speaking Spanish as a first language and Asians without money. Canada does have Latin "elites" coming up to Vancouver and Toronto as there are no questions up here on where the dinero came from. Asians up here have money i.e. Mandarin, Taiwanese.

There is no Canadian city with freeways except maybe Toronto. We took Arthur Ericksons advice and tried to avoid the whole "freeway" thing and it looks good.

Toronto has immigrant communities mainly from Africa, and a lot of them are actually Christian.
Canada just recently started requiring a Visa from Mexico and Czechslovakia as we were getting a "wave" of people coming in and then applying permanently, jumping the line.
Even though you are from Canada, it doesn't sound like you know that much about our cities. Montreal has lots of highways, and so do cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec City, Hamilton etc. It's not just Toronto! Moreover, there are plenty of Asian immigrants in Vancouver that aren't from wealthy families. Yes there are wealthy asian people in Vancouver, but there are large numbers of working class and middle class Asian-Canadians and immigrants from Asian countries as well. Really, Vancouver is one of the few major cities in Canada that isn't too significantly built around highways.

Categorizing Toronto as mostly having Christian African Immigrants is particularly strange. South Asians are one of the most visible groups in the country, there is a very prominent Chinese community, and most black people in the city are from the Carribean communities, not African ones.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:48 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Even though you are from Canada, it doesn't sound like you know that much about our cities. Montreal has lots of highways, and so do cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec City, Hamilton etc. It's not just Toronto! Moreover, there are plenty of Asian immigrants in Vancouver that aren't from wealthy families. Yes there are wealthy asian people in Vancouver, but there are large numbers of working class and middle class Asian-Canadians and immigrants from Asian countries as well. Really, Vancouver is one of the few major cities in Canada that isn't too significantly built around highways.

Categorizing Toronto as mostly having Christian African Immigrants is particularly strange. South Asians are one of the most visible groups in the country, there is a very prominent Chinese community, and most black people in the city are from the Carribean communities, not African ones.
Totally agree. The majority of Asian people in Vancouver are just your average working type. Growing up in Vancouver a lot of my friends are of Chinese extraction. Some born here, some from Hong Kong and China, some from Taiwan and a couple from South Africa. All just " working Joe's ".

Old 09-01-2015, 11:30 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Totally agree. The majority of Asian people in Vancouver are just your average working type. Growing up in Vancouver a lot of my friends are of Chinese extraction. Some born here, some from Hong Kong and China, some from Taiwan and a couple from South Africa. All just " working Joe's ".
Yeah, my mom is Tawainese and I grew up in Vancouver. The Chinese Canadian kids I grew up with ranged from working class to upper middle class, but they weren't the new stereotypical uber-wealthy mainland Chinese expats that people now imagine constitute the Chinese population here. The second-generation kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s are pretty assimilated now at this point as it is, to say nothing of the third-generation.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Umm this is 2015... I thought Czechoslovakia ceased to be a country since like 1993?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:27 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:

I don't know why people keep claiming all Asians living in Vancouver have money. I know 4 Chinese who live in Vancouver:

A: my old classmate. yes, from a wealthy family, almost independently wealthy - she didn't need to work but she did. After getting her citizenship, she returned to Shanghai right away.

B: a mother with her 8 year old son. Her Husband provides for them while working in Japan. He has a fine job and nowhere near "wealthy". They bought a townhouse for less than 500,000.

C: B's friend, working as a librarian. Not rich by any stretch. Married a Canadian.

D: A girl who went to Vancouver because she happened to find a job there through a recruiter. Again, not rich and rents an apartment.

All this wealthy Chinese occupying Vancouver thing has really been blown out of proportion. Rich Chinese like other cities too, London, Toronto, NYC, LA, Tokyo, Hong Kong are all their preferred destinations. Vancouver is just one of them. I am sure there are way more rich Asians in LA than Vancouver, but I don't see people complain as much.

RE freeway: I am glad Vancouver doesn't have a freeway, but it is a small city with only 2 million people. I don't think the same can perfectly apply to much larger cities such as LA (12 million), or elsewhere. I don't like freeway any more than you do, but for some cities, not having any may not be an option.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You're reading too much into it.

There is no equivalent of LA in Canada.

You want a match to Chicago, no problem, Toronto. Denver is a toss up with Calgary. Seattle, Portland and Vancouver are essentially one big metroplex (yes Natnasci, I know Van is different ) but we can't match LA.
Well no L.A is a megacity - Toronto won't meet that criteria until the 2030's.. With that said, Toronto's suburban density as I mentioned actually exceeds L.A's but it doesn't sprawl out nearly as much as a contiguous urban area.. Aside from that no there isn't really an L.A equiv in Canada and that is ok - for a megacity the size of L.A - it has a particularly disappointing DT urban core.. Chicago Toronto, Montreal and maybe even Vancouver have more meaty cores than L.A. as do a host of other Canamerican cities with far less population.

Why I mention Toronto though - its the only city in Canada that has significant and dense suburban and exurban sprawl so i'd say if we are talking suburban density and sprawl only Toronto would be the closest match though it ends about there.

Quote from link below:

"The Urban Area
The Toronto urban area (called “population centre” by Statistics Canada) had a population of approximately 5.1 million according to the 2011 census. With a land area of 675 square miles (1,750 square kilometers), Toronto’s population density is 7,590 per square mile (2,930 per square kilometer). Toronto is the only major urban area in the New World (Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States) that is more dense than Los Angeles, which had 7,000 residents per square mile (2,700 per square kilometer), according to the 2010 census (Note on extended urban areas)."

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...n-form-toronto

Last edited by fusion2; 09-01-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well no L.A is a megacity - Toronto won't meet that criteria until the 2030's.. With that said, Toronto's suburban density as I mentioned actually exceeds L.A's but it doesn't sprawl out nearly as much as a contiguous urban area.. Aside from that no there isn't really an L.A equiv in Canada and that is ok - for a megacity the size of L.A - it has a particularly disappointing DT urban core.. Chicago Toronto, Montreal and maybe even Vancouver have more meaty cores than L.A. as do a host of other Canamerican cities with far less population.

Why I mention Toronto though - its the only city in Canada that has significant and dense suburban and exurban sprawl so i'd say if we are talking suburban density and sprawl only Toronto would be the closest match though it ends about there.

Quote from link below:

"The Urban Area
The Toronto urban area (called “population centre” by Statistics Canada) had a population of approximately 5.1 million according to the 2011 census. With a land area of 675 square miles (1,750 square kilometers), Toronto’s population density is 7,590 per square mile (2,930 per square kilometer). Toronto is the only major urban area in the New World (Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States) that is more dense than Los Angeles, which had 7,000 residents per square mile (2,700 per square kilometer), according to the 2010 census (Note on extended urban areas)."

The Evolving Urban Form: Toronto | Newgeography.com
As much as the data suggests, LA sets a pretty low bar for city comparison... so having a "higher suburban density than LA" is like saying a 4th grader is more educated than a 3rd grader...

Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't know why people keep claiming all Asians living in Vancouver have money. I know 4 Chinese who live in Vancouver:

A: my old classmate. yes, from a wealthy family, almost independently wealthy - she didn't need to work but she did. After getting her citizenship, she returned to Shanghai right away.

B: a mother with her 8 year old son. Her Husband provides for them while working in Japan. He has a fine job and nowhere near "wealthy". They bought a townhouse for less than 500,000.

C: B's friend, working as a librarian. Not rich by any stretch. Married a Canadian.

D: A girl who went to Vancouver because she happened to find a job there through a recruiter. Again, not rich and rents an apartment.

All this wealthy Chinese occupying Vancouver thing has really been blown out of proportion. Rich Chinese like other cities too, London, Toronto, NYC, LA, Tokyo, Hong Kong are all their preferred destinations. Vancouver is just one of them. I am sure there are way more rich Asians in LA than Vancouver, but I don't see people complain as much.

RE freeway: I am glad Vancouver doesn't have a freeway, but it is a small city with only 2 million people. I don't think the same can perfectly apply to much larger cities such as LA (12 million), or elsewhere. I don't like freeway any more than you do, but for some cities, not having any may not be an option.
It's the media. The only thing people who don't live in Vancouver hear about is how the wealthy Chinese are buying property etc.
Very little or no mention of ordinary folk OR how the Asian community and Asian individuals have contributed in a good way to Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada