Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:19 AM

225 posts, read 203,278 times

Advertisements

This is a dead cat thrown in the table (to use Stephen Harper's own campaign manager, Lynton Crosby's own words) to distract Canadian voters and win votes for the Conservatives. Because their record on everything else sucks.

Very few women even wear the niqab, and the PM spend $230000 of OUR TAXPAYER MONEY, to fight the court because of ONE WOMAN! It's ridiculous and immoral. How many poor children could have been fed with that money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 08:24 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
This is a dead cat thrown in the table (to use Stephen Harper's own campaign manager, Lynton Crosby's own words) to distract Canadian voters and win votes for the Conservatives. Because their record on everything else sucks.

Very few women even wear the niqab, and the PM spend $230000 of OUR TAXPAYER MONEY, to fight the court because of ONE WOMAN! It's ridiculous and immoral. How many poor children could have been fed with that money?
I think we are talking about two women here.. I like how Trudeau came back on Harper about there being a lot more pro life conservative M.P's than the number of women wanting to wear a Niqab at a citizenship ceremony.

With that said, if Canadian voters are that distracted by this and so gullible than we deserve whatever government we get! If Stephen Harper is PM again after this election, we deserve Stephen Harper!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
IMO it's entirely fair game to view this late 20th/early 21st century resurgence of the burqa as a big step backwards for women's rights in a large part of the world.
It depends on context.

Has it been used to oppress women in many parts of the world? Absolutely!

HOWEVER, it's more nuanced than that. Many women, yes, CHOOSE to wear it. And there is nothing more of a step backwards for women's rights than to legislate what a woman can or cannot wear.

Telling a woman to not wear a burqa is the same as telling a woman not to wear a short skirt. Legislation on them is just as sexist as school dress codes that ban certain clothing on the grounds that it "distracts boys".

Women should be able to wear whatever the hell they want. Burqa, bikini, whatever.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 AM

Even a Bikini at a Citizenship Ceremony lol..

Old 10-03-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think we are talking about two women here.. I like how Trudeau came back on Harper about there being a lot more pro life conservative M.P's than the number of women wanting to wear a Niqab at a citizenship ceremony.
Oh yes, I loved that. I wasn't sure who to vote for, I might go Lib.

Quote:
With that said, if Canadian voters are that distracted by this and so gullible than we deserve whatever government we get! If Stephen Harper is PM again after this election, we deserve Stephen Harper!
Stephen Harper is playing to base brains, you gotta use your logical brains. No, we don't deserve Stephen Harper and if he wins, the GG will allow the other parties to challenge. We could easily go to the polls again in another month.

https://www.hilltimes.com/news/news/...d-franks/43518

Do I not like the niqab? No, I don't. But it's a knee-jerk reaction and I realize that.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Even a Bikini at a Citizenship Ceremony lol..
If it wasn't so damn cold, sure. Why not?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:37 AM

Politicians seem to like dead cats in this election, though.

Stephen Harper: I'm gonna ban the niqab during citizenship ceremonies!

Justin Trudeau: I'm gonna legalize weed as soon as possible!

Poor kitties.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I like how Trudeau came back on Harper about there being a lot more pro life conservative M.P's than the number of women wanting to wear a Niqab at a citizenship ceremony.
To revisit this. I had a good laugh last night when Justin Trudeau compared debating Gilles Duceppe to arguing with his wife.

It's safe to say, somebody slept on the couch last night. lol

Old 10-03-2015, 09:55 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
It depends on context.

Has it been used to oppress women in many parts of the world? Absolutely!

HOWEVER, it's more nuanced than that. Many women, yes, CHOOSE to wear it. And there is nothing more of a step backwards for women's rights than to legislate what a woman can or cannot wear.

Telling a woman to not wear a burqa is the same as telling a woman not to wear a short skirt. Legislation on them is just as sexist as school dress codes that ban certain clothing on the grounds that it "distracts boys".

Women should be able to wear whatever the hell they want. Burqa, bikini, whatever.
Face concealment and wearing a skirt are mutually exclusive. Women and men can wear whatever they want, however, concealing one's face when swearing an oath prevents everyone from knowing whether the person with the concealed face is actually swearing the oath, or condemning the country.

Even Egypt requires everyone to reveal their face to communicate clearly.

"The recent decision to ban all female staff from wearing the full face veil aims to put an end to student complaints of "poor communication" in class, the head of Egypt's Cairo University said Friday.

... Islamic clerics and students have denounced the move as discriminatory, but Nassar said he has the backing of the Grand Mufti, Egypt's top religious authority."

Egypt's Cairo university has banned teachers from wearing full face veil, sparking complaints | CTV News

Old 10-03-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, I loved that. I wasn't sure who to vote for, I might go Lib.

Stephen Harper is playing to base brains, you gotta use your logical brains. No, we don't deserve Stephen Harper and if he wins, the GG will allow the other parties to challenge. We could easily go to the polls again in another month.

https://www.hilltimes.com/news/news/...d-franks/43518

Do I not like the niqab? No, I don't. But it's a knee-jerk reaction and I realize that.
Oh definitely he is playing to his base and his base is solidly behind him.. 25-30 percent of Canadians will vote conservative period.. Where the Niqab thing comes in for him is to sway the 10 percent that are centrists who will as easily vote for blue as they would orange or red.. This 10 percent maybe a bit more will decide the election as long as we have more than two major parties.

Just reading your points and I must say on this particular issue (and even though I do agree with you Harper is definitely using this to his advantage), I actually do agree with his stance. Not so much about 'core' Canadian values nonsense - but simply because to me it makes practical sense. Just like it makes sense when you get a passport photo, go through customs, stopped by the police or in court.

Marijuana is another topic - but I do think it is an important issue and one about fundamental rights and freedoms we should have. I think this is simply another prohibition and i'm definitely in the legalize it camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada