Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

"Before a pupil is allowed to graduate from a public high school in this state, the principal or head teacher of the school shall verify in writing that the pupil has recited the following oath:

"I, _________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; so help me God."

This is the Oath of Enlistment that I swore when I joined the Air Force..... look familiar?

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
U.S. Armed Forces Oath of Enlistment

That's House Bill 2467, sponsored by Republican state Representatives Bob Thorpe, Sonny Borrelli, Carl Seel, T.J. Shope, and Steve Smith.

Legislators Propose Forcing High School Students to Swear to Defend Constitution in Order to Graduate - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever

Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM

217 posts, read 360,921 times
Yes, it's a joke. Obama will never allow this.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,756,497 times
Wow.....unbelievable.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Hey... that's ..like ..pretty much word for word the enlistment Oath for officers. .... ..except their oath doesn't last forever.

The Oath of Office (for officers):

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

Before you raise your right hand, make sure you understand what you are swearing or attesting to. The oath of enlistment should not be taken lightly, you will be bound by it for the next 4 to 6 years at a minimum

Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Arizona - why am I not surprised? Apart from the obvious (to anyone not an Arizona Republican) problem with legal immigrants, it's freakin'' stupid.

How can you make graduation dependent on an oath, and then throw in the words "I take this obligation freely"? It's underpants-on-head grade crazy. Oh - Arizona Republican. Guess that answers it.

There's a worthwhile lesson for Arizona's youth here, though. When faced with an official insisting on an oath in return for something that's rightfully yours, just lie. As he clearly has no respect for your word, you do not owe him even basic honesty.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Arizona - why am I not surprised?
It must have something to do with the heat. Years from now when they slice the little pea brains of Arizona Republicans they will find that heat kills brain cells like traumatic brain injury.

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
It figures a state that ranks amongst the worst nationally in education is more interested in publicity stunts, than improvement.

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Hey... that's ..like ..pretty much word for word the enlistment Oath for officers. .... ..except their oath doesn't last forever.

The Oath of Office (for officers):

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

Before you raise your right hand, make sure you understand what you are swearing or attesting to. The oath of enlistment should not be taken lightly, you will be bound by it for the next 4 to 6 years at a minimum
The oath is just that, an oath. And it doesn't come with an expiration date. If you can't take that oath and mean it, don't take the paycheck.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM

742 posts, read 678,678 times
I'd be honored to sign that. What's the problem? Sad to see that the Constitution has become a four letter word.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
"Before a pupil is allowed to graduate from a public high school in this state, the principal or head teacher of the school shall verify in writing that the pupil has recited the following oath

Because a loyalty oath to a rotting corpse is infinitely better than a living principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies