Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 05:21 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wow, where do you live in Canada that has a July avg high of 33C?
My hometown isn't in Canada. I was just trying to describe a city with four distinct seasons yet without Canada's horribly cold and long winter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:26 PM

800 posts, read 730,253 times
No I don't. You can't help a country's climate. You can change perceptions and attitudes.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:52 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
Canada should have tried harder to lure Turks and Caicos to join Canada apparently.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:55 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Canada should have tried harder to lure Turks and Caicos to join Canada apparently.
At the end of the day - you'd still have to fly there in the winter, pay for hotel/resort so it probably would be no cheaper and I imagine more expensive than simply going to Cuba or the D.R..

Its the same thing if you live in NYC, Boston or Chicago and you want to get away during the winter - you still have to fly $omewhere or drive a long distance to get some nice weather..

Old 09-21-2015, 06:02 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
It's not too late.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
If Turks and Caicos did eventually join Canada, I wonder how many snowbirds in particular would move there permanently year round

Old 09-21-2015, 06:24 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If Turks and Caicos did eventually join Canada, I wonder how many snowbirds in particular would move there permanently year round
It really depends on how much it would cost.. From what I know of Turks and Caicos - it ain't a cheap place but sure if someone could afford it and live out a Canadian winter there i'm sure there would be a lot of people making the move and that would be Canadian retirees who could afford it.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-21-2015 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 10:14 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Add me to those who like four distinct seasons.

Winter is hard, it is true, but it is not impossible. It is not nearly as brutal as non-Canadians think, if those of my friends who have come from warmer climes were surprised to admit. Yes, cold snaps occur, and snowstorms occur, but we all somehow muddle through; while skiers and snowboarders have a blast. And there is nothing like an evening walk in the winter, with the snow sparkling, and the quiet afforded by a blanket of snow.

Spring brings hope for a renewal, with early crocuses braving their way through the snow. Other plants, and trees, reawaken, and show their leaves and buds. Backyard gardeners plan for a riot of flowers; or, for those of us who prefer otherwise, a plot of edibles: tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, and so on. A homegrown tomato beats a store-bought any day, and I do enjoy the tomatoes from my garden.

Summers are hot. Maybe not as hot as they would be in the tropics, but hot nonetheless. It's time for T-shirts and shorts and sandals, and grilling on the back deck, and plenty of friends with whom to enjoy the outdoors: golfing, hiking, playing a pickup game of softball. It's time to turn on the air conditioning, and chill the beer, because that yard will be overgrown if you don't look after it, and a cold beer goes well after a Saturday afternoon of yardwork.

Autumn is a time for change. The leaves turn, and fall, and need raking; and the tomatoes die, and the earth goes to sleep. But there are bright days that display the trees in a riot of colour, and warm days that are all the more valuable, because winter lies ahead. As does spring, summer, and again, fall.

To paraphrase the US President in the movie, "Being There": "We welcome the seasons of nature." I certainly do, and I am glad that I live in a place that lets me experience all of them.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Add me to those who like four distinct seasons.

Winter is hard, it is true, but it is not impossible. It is not nearly as brutal as non-Canadians think, if those of my friends who have come from warmer climes were surprised to admit. Yes, cold snaps occur, and snowstorms occur, but we all somehow muddle through; while skiers and snowboarders have a blast. And there is nothing like an evening walk in the winter, with the snow sparkling, and the quiet afforded by a blanket of snow.

Spring brings hope for a renewal, with early crocuses braving their way through the snow. Other plants, and trees, reawaken, and show their leaves and buds. Backyard gardeners plan for a riot of flowers; or, for those of us who prefer otherwise, a plot of edibles: tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, and so on. A homegrown tomato beats a store-bought any day, and I do enjoy the tomatoes from my garden.

Summers are hot. Maybe not as hot as they would be in the tropics, but hot nonetheless. It's time for T-shirts and shorts and sandals, and grilling on the back deck, and plenty of friends with whom to enjoy the outdoors: golfing, hiking, playing a pickup game of softball. It's time to turn on the air conditioning, and chill the beer, because that yard will be overgrown if you don't look after it, and a cold beer goes well after a Saturday afternoon of yardwork.

Autumn is a time for change. The leaves turn, and fall, and need raking; and the tomatoes die, and the earth goes to sleep. But there are bright days that display the trees in a riot of colour, and warm days that are all the more valuable, because winter lies ahead. As does spring, summer, and again, fall.

To paraphrase the US President in the movie, "Being There": "We welcome the seasons of nature." I certainly do, and I am glad that I live in a place that lets me experience all of them.
Very nicely stated Chevy.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:00 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I've been thinking a lot about the fact that Canadians get the short-end of the stick when it comes to range of climates compared to almost all other developed nations and we're actually quite pitiful in that regard considering we are the 2nd largest country in the world. If you look at almost all other developed countries, all their citizens have the ability to live or move to somewhere of the climate of their choice.

For example:

-The USA has Florida or Hawaii for heat lovers and Alaska and Minnesota for cold lovers
-The EU has the Schengen Agreement with the rest of the EU. How many Brits now live in Spain these days due to warm weather? Spaniards can move to Scandinavia if they want to also.
-Australia and New Zealand has an agreement whereby citizens of each country can live in the other one for hot or cold/cool climates
-Japan has Okinawa which is subtropical and Hokkaido for cold climate lovers

So it seems that Canadians only have cold climates to choose from and Vancouver where I live is not exactly a warm climate on a global scale If we want to move to a subtropical or tropical climate permanently at least during our working years, it's not really possible without jumping through all kinds of immigration hoops
You're whining because of the cold climate when you live in Vancouver??? Really? I could understand your complaint if you lived in Toronto or Montreal but Vancouver? Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada