Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I am voting for this person!
Stephen Harper, Conservative Party 15 31.25%
Tom Mulcair, NDP 10 20.83%
Elizabeth May, Green Party 3 6.25%
Gilles Duceppe, Bloc Quebecois 6 12.50%
Justin Trudeau, Liberal Party 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:55 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,145 times

Advertisements

I am actually voting for Elizabeth May, since she is my MP. Since I agree with some policies of both the NDP and the Liberals (and perhaps can understand one or two conservative policies) I'd be happy with a government led by either the Liberals or NDP, and supported by the other. I think the differences and debate among the parties will make for better government, given that we've set up very powerful party leaders who can totally get their way if we have another majority government. I'd also love to see electoral reform implemented by the next government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:37 AM

430 posts, read 835,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
I think the differences and debate among the parties will make for better government, given that we've set up very powerful party leaders who can totally get their way if we have another majority government. I'd also love to see electoral reform implemented by the next government.
What kind of electoral reforms are you looking for? Here in the States, the gerrymandered Republican Congress gets in the way of nearly anything a Democratic President tries to do. At the very least, they water it down considerably or add a bunch of corporate welfare (as in Obamacare). I think it works much, much better to have a PM who is actually able to implement major parts of what he ran on.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 AM

542 posts, read 503,458 times
Bloc Quebecois with so many votes...pffft. I will cross my fingers that Mr. Trudeau can steer this country in a direction that is currently best for Quebec. Yvanung, ViveleQuebeclibre, Bonjour185, Etienne Gauthier, No Manners, and the others who are voting for the Bloc Quebecois, let me say that you would be better off to wait about 20 years for when we are in a better position for independence. And for when Canadian union is not as desirable for us anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Good point Zoi, not sure why the op made the poll results public,however i've always been a Liberal in federal elections and dont really care if people know it.
I was under the impression that you are for the bloc. Based on your strong vocal support for Quebec independence.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
What kind of electoral reforms are you looking for? Here in the States, the gerrymandered Republican Congress gets in the way of nearly anything a Democratic President tries to do. At the very least, they water it down considerably or add a bunch of corporate welfare (as in Obamacare). I think it works much, much better to have a PM who is actually able to implement major parts of what he ran on.
The electoral reforms being discussed in Canada at the moment are not modeled on the United States. Both the NDP and Liberals have proposed alternatives to our current first past the post single member plurality voting system. The NDP have proposed a mixed member proportional representation system ad the Liberals seem to favour a ranked ballot system. The current impartial system for assigning riding boundaries which prevents gerrymandering would not be affected, and neither would the way parliament works. Here's an article:

Is the sun setting on Canada’s first-past-the-post electoral system? | National Newswatch

Old 09-27-2015, 10:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post

I was under the impression that you are for the bloc. Based on your strong vocal support for Quebec independence.
Your impressions are wrong,we are voting for leadership of Canada not Quebec therefore voting for a credible federal party is more important than voting for an irrelevant party like the bloc,a party that can never bring about Quebec independence .

Old 09-27-2015, 11:56 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
I'm voting for my local liberal candidate James Maloney. I've been keeping an eye on who has the best chance of kicking the incumbent conservative M.P Bernard Trottier to the curb and its the liberal candidate who is actually polling in the lead 40 percent to 33 for Trottier. If it were the NDP candidate with the best chance i'd vote for him but since he's only polling at 24 percent i'll vote strategically to ensure the Con doesn't get in. I got my election card in the mail this passed Friday

Old 09-27-2015, 12:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm voting for my local liberal candidate James Maloney. I've been keeping an eye on who has the best chance of kicking the incumbent conservative M.P Bernard Trottier to the curb and its the liberal candidate who is actually polling in the lead 40 percent to 33 for Trottier. If it were the NDP candidate with the best chance i'd vote for him but since he's only polling at 24 percent i'll vote strategically to ensure the Con doesn't get in. I got my election card in the mail this passed Friday
A lot of people I know are voting strategically as well. It's going to be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A lot of people I know are voting strategically as well. It's going to be interesting to see how this all turns out.
I'm so fed up of the Conservative government can't take my chances! The last thing I want is it to be a 30 percent NDP, 33 percent Liberal, 35 percent Con (everyone else shares what's left) and Trottier the Con gets in....!! NOOOOO lol...

Old 09-27-2015, 12:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm so fed up of the Conservative government can't take my chances! The last thing I want is it to be a 30 percent NDP, 33 percent Liberal, 35 percent Con (everyone else shares what's left) and Trottier the Con gets in....!! NOOOOO lol...
They are a failure on all fronts.

I was at a party last night, talking to an old friend who used to work for an MP up until 2 years ago. She was telling me how much Canada has lost since Harper took power. Not even invited to certain talks etc. Things that go on internationally that don't make the news and most people are unaware of. Things that we used to participate in, but no more.
This article tells it best.

Canada falls flat on the world stage | Toronto Star

Old 09-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
They are a failure on all fronts.

I was at a party last night, talking to an old friend who used to work for an MP up until 2 years ago. She was telling me how much Canada has lost since Harper took power. Not even invited to certain talks etc. Things that go on internationally that don't make the news and most people are unaware of. Things that we used to participate in, but no more.
This article tells it best.

Canada falls flat on the world stage | Toronto Star
These things do not surprise me at all and it is something that he has been chiselling away at insidiously over the last decade... I'm very eager to see this come to an end very very soon.

Thanks for the article!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada