Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 02:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I think you are just pathologically wired to prove that your point is always right and others are wrong. When others' statements don't conform to your narrow world view, then you call them "excuses". Really quite pathetic and petty.

An assessment I totally commiserate with.

Someone cannot possibly hold all of these negative opinions about such puerile stuff without being the most unhappy person in reality. Cripes; so young and so beeeetchy.

I consider myself a curmudgeon but this guy has a head start and by my age will likely be a total recluse screaming at the world from his 18th floor 24" square balcony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 02:34 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm going to feel stupid if you know this but it's sometimes hard to tell on the internet, but in case you don't know, Ach du lieber is a common German exclamation, not an endearment, mein Schatz...
I don't speak German, but I do know a few expressions. That one I knew, or at least I recognized it as a kind of OMG thing in German.

I also know mein Schatz...

Old 09-29-2015, 02:35 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think you beat me to this. The reporter is based in New York and has been working there since 2005. Der Spiegel didn't fly him from Berlin or Munich just to report a possible snowstorm, something CTV did.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcpitzke
CTV did? So you happen to know CTV's staffing model, without having worked a day in the media industry? Also, Berlin to NYC is a 7 hour flight. Even if CTV flew someone to NYC, that's just a short 1 hour hop from Billy Bishop to JFK and a round trip ticket that costs less than $300 CAD. Nice try.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:36 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
CTV did? So you happen to know CTV's staffing model, without having worked a day in the media industry? Also, Berlin to NYC is a 7 hour flight. Even if CTV flew someone to NYC, that's just a short 1 hour hop from Billy Bishop to JFK and a round trip ticket that costs less than $300 CAD. Nice try.
And yet many Canadian news stories go uncovered each day for lack of reporters...

Old 09-29-2015, 02:38 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And yet many Canadian news stories go uncovered each day for lack of reporters...
In all honesty, Canada doesn't have that many headline-grabbing news stories to begin with. It's a more peaceful country with a tiny population. The media is just that, they are out there trying to make money and generate viewership, so they'll go wherever in order to achieve that objective.

Like yourself, I also listen and watch CBC more because it provides more balanced content that isn't entirely influenced by commercial interest. Though CBC does have a partisan tendency to openly slam Conservative politicians (yesterday on CBC Radio One, Carol Off pretty much ripped apart Defense Minister Jason Kenney with her questions, to the point where Kenney just decided to hang up near the end of the interview).

Old 09-29-2015, 03:33 PM

678 posts, read 875,927 times
Dang that is some magical chicken right there...

Old 09-29-2015, 03:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Good post.

I'm a Canadian representative of a particular demographic that might () be slightly more nationalistic than the average. I would be the first to acknowledge that I'm very interested in your current election process for what I think are concerns felt across the planet.

The U.S. 'burps' and all those sitting at the world table are going to experience an immediate change of appetite.

No one living today can ignore the reality of bad mortgage practices dictated by Washington bureaucrats ultimately derailing the worlds economic train.

No one can ignore the election of a particular personality resulting in a sea-change of foreign policy that might lead to some military incursion or other affecting us all for a decade or more.

Our economies are so intertwined that what happens in the worlds largest economy that is the major player we do business with must be considered by us, we have no choice until our trade is no longer of majority American, if and when that ever changes.

No one can ignore whether, for an obvious example, electing someone like a McCain with his expressed disdain for Canada and all things Canadian, would lead to an even more stringent border security protocol for the 49th parallel while the boob ignored illegal immigration for decades rampaging through his home state to commit all kinds of crimes in his country. The man never forgave us for accepting and sheltering draft-dodgers while he languished in the Hanoi Hilton.

All those clustering around the TV in the cold in Switzerland were interested because they knew the outcome would ultimately affect them in some way.

News articles coming out of the U.S. are reported because they are "news". The duckboat accident got the same exposure as a multi death accident in Ontario due to it being our neighbour with similar value-for-life tendencies. We also saw news reports of a crane collapse in Mecca and now news of a stampede killing hundreds at Medina. It's the news, and citizens of Canada, 20% or more comprised of immigrants from everywhere would chastise our media for ignoring it while citizens of the U.S. would quite probably not even care about a roll-over in Canada, were it even reported.

The realists among us maintain rational cognizance while being accused of irrational obsession or suffering from an inferiority complex. Silliness, when one considers your military might very well be called upon to contribute to a U.N. action precipitated by intractable American influence that ends up costing you millions upon millions with NO dog in the hunt at all other than the suggested humanitarian aspect which has now backfired beyond all comprehension.

Keeping abreast of what goes on in America patterns our decision making process in a myriad of ways like managing to get rid of my Nortel before the bathwater covered my nose.

Summation: We show interest in American goings-on because we're interested in what will almost certainly have some affect on our daily lives.

Spot on. Just think for a moment if we elect a certain bellicose, narcissistic resort building businessman. Read up on his foreign policy. This country just gets crazier and crazier every day.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
In all honesty, Canada doesn't have that many headline-grabbing news stories to begin with. It's a more peaceful country with a tiny population. The media is just that, they are out there trying to make money and generate viewership, so they'll go wherever in order to achieve that objective.

Like yourself, I also listen and watch CBC more because it provides more balanced content that isn't entirely influenced by commercial interest. Though CBC does have a partisan tendency to openly slam Conservative politicians (yesterday on CBC Radio One, Carol Off pretty much ripped apart Defense Minister Jason Kenney with her questions, to the point where Kenney just decided to hang up near the end of the interview).
I think the media are really, really frustrated with the Conservatives. The lack of access, the run around , the vetted questions etc, that I'm surprised more of them don't lose it.

Again, today on a radio show about pipelines, they had the NDP, Liberal and Green party candidates. No Conservative. His office said he was busy. They offered to do a pre-taped piece on his opinion of the Kinder Morgan pipeline in Burnaby. No, wouldn't do that either. No access, once again.

Even the voters don't have access. You can count on one hand how many Con candidates have shown up at all candidates meetings.

For me, it simply thumbing your nose at our democratic process, which INCLUDES communication through the press and being able to stand there and take questions from the people who put you power.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:07 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Spot on. Just think for a moment if we elect a certain bellicose, narcissistic resort building businessman. Read up on his foreign policy. This country just gets crazier and crazier every day.

I wasn't aware he had more foreign policy beyond "I'll be better at it than anyone". lol

Either way, I've been sharpening up my cross cut saw, just in case. You're welcome to join us, tom, but you have to help paddle this country across the Atlantic, or into the south Pacific.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 09-29-2015 at 04:26 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 04:17 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
They love to be like "Boom! We beat you".

Maybe some of us like that.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada