Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 05:07 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If Australia was physically attached to America, it would be in no way different than Canada is now.
No Mags - English Canadians have been genetically programmed by aliens to display an inferiority complex and to copycat American culture. It was on Episode 6 season 25 of Ancient Aliens... I guess you missed that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 05:16 PM

261 posts, read 275,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I agree with what most people are saying on here, but somehow, the tone of this entire thread is implying that there is something intrinsically wrong and humiliating with following American culture.
It's not wrong, nor humiliating. As said, every country is interested in American culture to some extent. It's just unusual that in Canada it ends up taking even the place that local culture would occupy in other countries. (And no, in my opinion, it doesn't make Canadians more worldly than other nations.) But that's okay, if it's what Canadians want.

However, it does fall into a pattern of Canadian identity being somewhat vague and hard to identify, which (for example) might make it difficult for immigrants to integrate, since they don't know what they would integrate into. On the other hand, other immigrants enjoy Canadian identity being not very well defined, since they can make it their own. Really, it's a matter of personal preference.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:26 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Quote:
If Australia was physically attached to America, it would be in no way different than Canada is now.

I do not agree at all...being physically attached does not facilitate more culture transfer especially in modern times.

Austria has a visible cultural difference from Germany.....

So countries in Latin America can have relevant cultural differences between them.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:28 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
It's not wrong, nor humiliating. As said, every country is interested in American culture to some extent. It's just unusual that in Canada it ends up taking even the place that local culture would occupy in other countries. (And no, in my opinion, it doesn't make Canadians more worldly than other nations.) But that's okay, if it's what Canadians want.

However, it does fall into a pattern of Canadian identity being somewhat vague and hard to identify, which (for example) might make it difficult for immigrants to integrate, since they don't know what they would integrate into. On the other hand, other immigrants enjoy Canadian identity being not very well defined, since they can make it their own. Really, it's a matter of personal preference.
As an immigrant to Canada myself, along with my parents who are living in Vancouver now, we didn't exactly move to Canada because of its awesome culture lol. We moved here because of its relative stability, good living standards and physical environment, and a functional democratic government with a high degree of freedom and rule of law. Mutual respect, tolerance, and decency towards your fellow citizens. Look around the world today, and tell me that's not something to be proud of, not something to deeply cherish?

If we wanted culture, we would've just stayed put in China. The city where I was born happens to be the oldest city in East Asia, with 4500 years of proud history and the former capital of 13 imperial dynasties. But in many countries around the world, those with "unique identities" or "proud histories/cultures" don't necessarily translate into high quality of life for its citizens, and that culture tends to be singularly defined by an established ethnic majority that has little tolerance for minority or descenting cultures.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I took a trip from central Illinois thru Thunder Bay around the lakes and returned through Michigan. I loved Canada then I still do. I am no longer young.

I've traveled in Mexico and Canada and over most of the US, so I like to think I have a clue -- especially as I still get radio from Yellowknife Canada. When I had my big dish I listened to Canadian Parliament in two languages, I watched some amazing television programming from Canada, and I viewed the latest US News being beamed from Canada.

Now I still get programing from Canada on HGTV and FOOD channel including Real Estate, Home Repair, and Cooking shows. I see mystery on PBS from BBC; I still miss David Suchet's character, Poirot, and the comedy "Are You Been Served?"

Sameness aside there is a decided difference in culture which trickles down to politics, The US Secretary of State changes frequently whilst your Head of State has seen her Jubilee year. Stability is what you have that we do not. You know when she retires her son or grandson will take her place. We do not have that luxury. One does reach an age where chaos is no long fun or just boring.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:48 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I do not agree at all...being physically attached does not facilitate more culture transfer especially in modern times.

Modern times? I'm not saying pick it up and plop it down. If Australia had the behemoth called America attached to it, cut from the same cloth, and went through the same history as Canada and America did together, I can almost guarantee it would be the same thing, and your post I replied to would have said "In my opinion even Canadians......"

Old 09-30-2015, 05:51 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
Modern times? I'm not saying pick it up and plop it down. If Australia had the behemoth called America attached to it, cut from the same cloth, and went through the same history as Canada and America did together, I can almost guarantee it would be the same thing, and your post I replied to would have said "In my opinion even Canadians......"
Lol. "being physically attached does not facilitate more culture transfer especially in modern times." Makes it sound like some indisputable scientific law.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:56 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Quote:
Lol. "being physically attached does not facilitate more culture transfer especially in modern times." Makes it sound like some indisputable scientific law.

Is not an indisputable physical law but it is true....

Quote:
I can almost guarantee it would be the same thing

You cannot because we can not test it But I did bring you the example of Austria and Germany and Latin American countries.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Stating something in that manner is supposed leave you in factual awe; just as stating Canada does not have a unique culture from the U.S. is supposed to be taken as fact. It's actually a load of codswallop.

Any number of things from our belief in Universal Healthcare, firearm policies, far less pervasive religiosity and parliamentary system to name just a few, clearly set us apart CULTURALLY.

A culture is not solely defined by what entertainment it is inundated with.
Culture | Definition of culture by Merriam-Webster

Old 09-30-2015, 06:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Stating something in that manner is supposed leave you in factual awe; just as stating Canada does not have a unique culture from the U.S. is supposed to be taken as fact. It's actually a load of codswallop.

Any number of things from our belief in Universal Healthcare, firearm policies, far less pervasive religiosity and parliamentary system to name just a few, clearly set us apart CULTURALLY.

A culture is not solely defined by what entertainment it is inundated with.
Culture | Definition of culture by Merriam-Webster
Ahh I see what you did there - good job!.. While so many were focussed almost laser like on the faulty landing gear indicator, they didn't notice that the aircraft was losing altitude and and going to crash. Point being there is more that deserves our collective attention than just one thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada