Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 PM

800 posts, read 731,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sorry another mathematical error - its late. 16.2 X 9 is 144 trillion so the U.S would need a GDP of over 140 trillion to have 9X the success rate as you say.

To your point I think you need to look at prosperity from the perspective of population and not just absolutes. Sure the U.S has 10X the GDP of Canada (a bit more not much) but it also has 9X the population so you have to account for that.. Now if you delve further and look at things from the perspective of how much the ultra wealthy skew GDP per capita well than you may actually make a stronger point for your argument whereby it may have 2X the success rate for the ultra wealthy. I'm not sure you'd have to do some research.

Canada typically is a more egalitarian society. The GDP per cap in the U.S is greater than in Canada yet median family incomes are about the same which points to the fact that there are more representative examples of people with wealth than in Canada.. 9X hardly but certainly I would say if you want to be wealthy it is a better environment. With that said, does that negate the Canadian environment for successor potential - of course not. That is why i'm taking you to task - you are being dismissive.
You are trying to hard.

My point is successful entrepreneurs from canada get rich in america. All this math you are spewing doesn't mean anything to go against what I originally stated. I don't know why you are trying so hard. No where did I discuss GDP. I stated people who got rich did it in usa. You brought out 9 x population in America so there are 9X the rich people. So i said it should be 9X easier using that type of logic. Then you want to break down GDP so you can prove me wrong fine have it. That doesn't change that you need to go to America to get millions/billions if you are an entrepreneur. As Forbes has noted. That is already what the young successful entrepreneurs from canada do. Congratulations to those who did it.

Never mind you did say it is easier to get Wealthy in america. Land of opportunity ...... to the chosen few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,903,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
You are trying to hard.

My point is successful entrepreneurs from canada get rich in america. All this math you are spewing doesn't mean anything to go against what I originally stated. I don't know why you are trying so hard. No where did I discuss GDP. I stated people who got rich did it in usa. You brought out 9 x population in America so there are 9X the rich people. So i said it should be 9X easier using that type of logic. Then you want to break down GDP so you can prove me wrong fine have it. That doesn't change that you need to go to America to get millions/billions if you are an entrepreneur. As Forbes has noted. That is already what the young successful entrepreneurs from canada do. Congratulations to those who did it.

Never mind you did say it is easier to get Wealthy in america. Land of opportunity ...... to the chosen few.
Well you are quick to point out facts as you see them but when faced with more detailed facts you balk and state that your challenger is trying too hard. GDP is an important measure - it is a general measure of the success of a given population.. For the average joe I prefer median income but for an overall idea of the prosperity of a nation GDP per cap is very useful.

Reading your comments I see you still don't understand the difference between absolute and relative because you still said it is 9X easier to accumulate wealth in the U.S vs Canada.. No it isn't because there are 9X more people.. I don't know why its so difficult for you to understand this and I went to great length to explain and you still don't.

Even this comment that you NEED to go to America to get millions/billions.. Try telling that to the 118K millionaires in Toronto. A city ranked 15th in the world for number of millionaires. Change your attitude and perspective and maybe you'll become one!

Toronto ranks 15th on global list of millionaires per city | Toronto Star

Old 11-29-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Well you are quick to point out facts as you see them but when faced with more detailed facts you balk and state that your challenger is trying too hard. GDP is an important measure - it is a general measure of the success of a given population.. For the average joe I prefer median income but for an overall idea of the prosperity of a nation GDP per cap is very useful.

Reading your comments I see you still don't understand the difference between absolute and relative because you still said it is 9X easier to accumulate wealth in the U.S vs Canada.. No it isn't because there are 9X more people.. I don't know why its so difficult for you to understand this and I went to great length to explain and you still don't.

Even this comment that you NEED to go to America to get millions/billions.. Try telling that to the 118K millionaires in Toronto. A city ranked 15th in the world for number of millionaires. Change your attitude and perspective and maybe you'll become one!

Toronto ranks 15th on global list of millionaires per city | Toronto Star
Ok I get it canada can do no wrong. All those canadian transplants that had to go elsewhere to be rich must have had the wrong attitude in canada.

BTW your listing is net assets. A few of my family members are millionaires then.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Ok I get it canada can do no wrong. All those canadian transplants that had to go elsewhere to be rich must have had the wrong attitude in canada.
OMG matic really? I'm not saying Canada can do no wrong i'm just pointing out that there are certainly examples of affluence in Canada and in relative terms it isn't as disparate as you are making it out to be. In some industries absolutely it is better for Canadians to go to the U.S.. With that said, the overall number of transplants is still very small when looking at the whole and more pronounced in some very visible industries than others. Sure Drake is worth 60 million USD and made it 'big' in the U.S but there are thousands upon thousands of Canadians - particularly in business and industry you've never heard of that make Drake look like a welfare case and many of them in the Six.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
OMG matic really? I'm not saying Canada can do no wrong i'm just pointing out that there are certainly examples of affluence in Canada and in relative terms it isn't as disparate as you are making it out to be. In some industries absolutely it is better for Canadians to go to the U.S.. With that said, the overall number of transplants is still very small when looking at the whole and more pronounced in some very visible industries than others. Sure Drake is worth 60 million USD and made it 'big' in the U.S but there are thousands upon thousands of Canadians - particularly in business and industry you've never heard of that make Drake look like a welfare case.
Did they need the us to help them with revenue? Or was it entirely canadian?

And drake is torontos greatest citizen according to toronto life. He changed the world. Lol. What an amazing person. Modern day da Vinci. Its mind boggling how he never broke through in Canada with his awe aspiring talents. It took him going to the us. Likely vegas. To show the world how talented he truly was. How legendary.

Last edited by Karassmatic; 11-29-2015 at 11:32 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Did they need the us to help them with revenue? Or was it entirely canadian?
Go to the U.S - no.. Some yes but most no. In a global economy i'm sure some of their wealth is tied to not just the Canadian market but also the global one including the U.S. Brookfield is a Canadian company but i'm sure there are quite a bit of assets linked to its U.S and other international investments.. This is a good thing.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Go to the U.S - no.. Some yes but most no. In a global economy i'm sure some of their wealth is tied to not just the Canadian market but also the global one including the U.S. Brookfield is a Canadian company but i'm sure there are quite a bit of assets linked to its U.S and other international investments.. This is a good thing.
Well it is a dumb thing just to rely on canada. We'll not dumb. More delusional.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:49 AM

299 posts, read 316,812 times
Quote:

The difference is in the attitude. In US it's " you're doing great but you can do better"; in Canada it's "you've done the best you could, we won't expect more from you or push you harder". I think if you're super ambitious and have big dreams America is the place to go. If you wanna do ok and be left alone stay in Canada.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:09 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I often get the feeling that there is a group of francophones hoping for their own nation, who somehow think they will get closer to their dream by denigrating the rest of Canada. Another kind of inferiority complex it seems to me.
You and others may not get that impression but the segment of the population in Quebec that denigrates the rest of Canada is very small. Yes, people in Quebec are often dismissive of Anglo-Canada ("they're exactly like Americans") but these days it's mostly in an aloof, indifferent way. It's not really hostile like it was before (60s-90s).

Old 11-30-2015, 09:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,105,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanAnna View Post
Botti is not Canadian tho, right? And I hate hockey, Tim Hortons and cottaging. I like football, Starbucks and beach holidays
I feel the same way, although I do enjoy getting out to the woods for the deer hunt every November. I don't hate cottaging, but given the choice between driving north for 2 or 3 hours to spend a week at a crowded cottage v. getting on a plant to spend a week in Manhattan or Varadero, I'd choose to get on a plane every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada