Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:38 PM

225 posts, read 203,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think the title twists the context of the information Ex. It may not be their first choice because it is far from their homeland and they likely do not know much about Canada. Everywhere I have travelled I get that a lot (some people have literally expressed to me that they assume it is exactly the same as the US or they do not really know anything about Canada). However... I am thinking after last night and the huge welcome recieved that things might change. Great PR move Justin... Canada made headlines across many countries today!
I love it... while ****boys in other countries who talk bellicose rhetoric and claim they're so "brave" slam their borders shut to desperate people because they're so scared of "terrorism" (you're more likely to be struck by lightning on the same say you won the lottery, than get killed in a terrorist attack, and even then, most terrorists in the west are right-wing extremists... aka angry white men), Justin just grabs a Syrian refugee baby at the terminal at Pearson and is like "Come here little Arab baby!" *mwaaaaa!* big kiss. The baby was probably like "eew... politician slobber!"

Could you imagine Stephen Harper kissing a Middle Eastern baby? LOL. He'd probably hide from the kid, like Chris Christie who is afraid of 5 year old Syrian orphans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:29 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
If I was in Syria and I had a bunch of options on a continent practically attached to my own, I wouldn't be thinking of moving to Canada, either. It's way more of a hassle.

Also, legitimately, very few people outside of Canada know anything about what's in Canada.
You - and some others - are missing the biggest selling point of going to someEuropean country - the generous "allowances" that refugees get. I forgot if this was in Sweden or Germany but it was to the tune of €800 a month per person + free rent.

There's a reason why they demand and sometimes riot to be sent to Germany or Scandinavian countries.

By comparison, Canada and US would seem unwelcoming.

And remember, once they are in Turkey they are safe and fed. Their going to Europe is economic mass migration, nothing else.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:09 AM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You would hear people in Boston area joking about how cold and snowy it is in Toronto (true story).

Old 12-18-2015, 11:29 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default Who wants food and shelter alone ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
You - and some others - are missing the biggest selling point of going to someEuropean country - the generous "allowances" that refugees get. I forgot if this was in Sweden or Germany but it was to the tune of €800 a month per person + free rent.

There's a reason why they demand and sometimes riot to be sent to Germany or Scandinavian countries.

By comparison, Canada and US would seem unwelcoming.

And remember, once they are in Turkey they are safe and fed. Their going to Europe is economic mass migration, nothing else.
I think this is a common misunderstanding. People are assuming all these refuges were poor and destitute while in there country. They left to escape death and likely would want to be back in their own country if the risk for being killed as still not there. If they were ambitious successful people before why would they just want to settle for a life no better than a North American pet (ex food, water and shelter) here of anywhere else. I think people are failing to remember that we are also absorbing a lot of highly educated and skilled people with the wave of refugees were are accepting. These people had normal lives like the rest of us before the ISIS crisis started. When someone comes to a new place they do not want to feel marginalized .. ex. you want to be successful, but not too successful as we need them to be the lower class that we can dominate over. For me this is a huge problem felt by many immigrants and refuges in Europe. From the ones I have spoke to they feel that sentiment. The system wants to keep them down and they feel like second class citizens with no hope of ever feeling like an equal. No one ever wants to feel like they are stuck at the bottom of a barrel with no hope of getting out. We are not perfect regarding this in Canada either. Ex Too many immagrant professionals doing unskilled work because they cannot get in to their professions in Canada.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:41 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default Read in more depth ..

Two of these articles are about the family 1 family and the other is also a small about on people... place in a forest area with bears and wolves... hello .. what the hell. As someone from a city that sounds pretty scary too. I totally think these articles about a small handful of people are being blown out of propertion to make people loose interest in helping these refuges.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:23 PM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Most people I know who haven't been to Canada would know the country as "kind of like the US but smaller and colder." And that includes our southern neighbour. You would hear people in Boston area joking about how cold and snowy it is in Toronto (true story).
I got so many comments before I moved here that were just ridiculous. I swear some people in Boston think there's snow in Toronto in July.

Now that I'm here, I keep getting asked if I'm ready to deal with the winter. I tell them I came from Boston and they assure me I'll be just fine

Old 12-18-2015, 09:39 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post

Could you imagine Stephen Harper kissing a Middle Eastern baby? LOL. He'd probably hide from the kid, like Chris Christie who is afraid of 5 year old Syrian orphans.
Not sure what Chris Christie has to do with a discussion about refugees coming to Canada.

A little off-topic, but are Canadians able to discuss any issue without reflexively bringing the US into it somehow? You see this all the time in social media, too: Canadian friends posting memes or angry, passionate (and often naive) comments on American current events and cultural matters they've doubtfully experienced in Morden, Nova Scotia or Regina, SK.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

.... A little off-topic, but are Canadians able to discuss any issue without reflexively bringing the US into it somehow? .....
No.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:13 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No.

Long time ago, I was flying from Europe on a Canadian airline (why are the tickets from Toronto half the price of US tickets ?!) One of the female flight attendants who was behaving like a real *****, made a snide remark to someone in the next row. A French Canadian guy sitting next to me turns and says, "you should take your pistol and shoot her !" I go, "why do you think I have a pistol" ? - "Well, isn't everyone armed in America ?" And he was only half joking.

I love Canada but Canadians sometimes do have that attitude of a prudish high school chick who is secretly jealous of her more popular girlfriend and believes that all men are idiots because they don't appreciate her higher moral standards .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada