Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:35 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,345,340 times

Advertisements

Frivolous post for the holidays. When I was at the hair salon, my hairdresser commented that she would like to have a real Christmas tree "for the experience." I had never thought of real Christmas trees as exotic so who still puts up a real Christmas tree? What kind? Post a photo, if you like.

I have had real trees all my life and in recent years, the Fraser fir has been my favourite because I like the more classic shape. I can't post a photo because my tree is not yet up and it is not yet up because I have been foolish enough to get involved in kitchen renovations that aren't yet completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 09:58 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,735,843 times
Default Use too

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Frivolous post for the holidays. When I was at the hair salon, my hairdresser commented that she would like to have a real Christmas tree "for the experience." I had never thought of real Christmas trees as exotic so who still puts up a real Christmas tree? What kind? Post a photo, if you like.

I have had real trees all my life and in recent years, the Fraser fir has been my favourite because I like the more classic shape. I can't post a photo because my tree is not yet up and it is not yet up because I have been foolish enough to get involved in kitchen renovations that aren't yet completed.
My parents always have a real tree. My mother would settle for no less. Great smell. Really messy (needles everywhere as time goes by).

Old 12-14-2015, 10:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 3,422,676 times
We always did when I was a child. A Scotch Pine or a Balsam Fir. Smelled wonderful, but always messy. And a target for the kitten my sister received one Christmas--the scared kitten climbed to the top of the tree, upset its balance, and Kitten and the tree came crashing down. Kitten came to no harm, and was a cherished member of our family for the next 16 years. The ornaments however....

When I married, my wife and I lived in an apartment, and had a nice artificial tree. But now I'm divorced, and can't be bothered putting up the artificial tree. The gifts I get are put under a house plant. But it works just as well. Hey, who says a Benjamina ficus can't be a Christmas tree?

Old 12-14-2015, 10:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,908,645 times
We've been so busy and lazy this year we haven't even put up a tree.. Growing up my parents have always done those fake trees but I think it would be more in the spirit to have a real one. Anyway - its too late this year but next I think we'll experiment with a real one. If anything just for the great smell KLM alludes to and since i'm allergic to cats shouldn't have Chevy's kitten problems.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:41 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,345,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
We always did when I was a child. A Scotch Pine or a Balsam Fir. Smelled wonderful, but always messy. And a target for the kitten my sister received one Christmas--the scared kitten climbed to the top of the tree, upset its balance, and Kitten and the tree came crashing down. Kitten came to no harm, and was a cherished member of our family for the next 16 years. The ornaments however....

When I married, my wife and I lived in an apartment, and had a nice artificial tree. But now I'm divorced, and can't be bothered putting up the artificial tree. The gifts I get are put under a house plant. But it works just as well. Hey, who says a Benjamina ficus can't be a Christmas tree?
I have dogs and 1 cat. The cat isn't a problem but one year a sister gave me gingerbread men to hang on the tree and in the middle of the night one of the dogs figured no one would know if she helped herself to a snack but of course the tree crashed down and I caught the horrified guilty party. And during my male German shepherd dog's first Christmas, he thought we finally had indoor plumbing. The shouts as he lifted his leg told him otherwise and he hasn't done it since.

Of course a fiscus can be a Christmas tree!

Don't tell anyone but I had real candles on the tree until about 5 years ago.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,083,028 times
Up until about 20 years ago we used to put up either a cut tree, or a largish live tree in a container that could be planted outside after New Year. Blue Spruce was alway a favourite just because of the nice blue colour and almost perfect cone shape for hanging ornaments. And Blue Spruces look really good planted outside as a privacy hedge.

Now I'm in a smaller residence living on my own I use a beautiful, bushy little Norfolk Pine tree that lives indoors in front of a window year round. I've had it for 20 years and I keep it pruned back to just under 5 feet tall. It has permanent tree jewellery that I made for it and keep on it year round, they are sparkling little brilliant cut real quartz crystals on shepherds hooks that look like glittering drops of rain water in the light, and at Christmas time I add some extra Christmas decorations and tinsel and small, cool lights to the tree.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:38 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
I've never had the opportunity to put up a real tree. My parents had an artificial tree (that I have many happy memories of) because they considered real trees wasteful and too much of a mess, and I have a small artificial tree today because a real tree would be too large in my small apartment. Maybe someday I'll buy a real tree for the experience.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:56 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,735,843 times
Default Things to do instead of a tree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
We've been so busy and lazy this year we haven't even put up a tree.. Growing up my parents have always done those fake trees but I think it would be more in the spirit to have a real one. Anyway - its too late this year but next I think we'll experiment with a real one. If anything just for the great smell KLM alludes to and since i'm allergic to cats shouldn't have Chevy's kitten problems.
As I am in a inter-faith relationship (...theme of my life lol). I do not actually put a Christmas tree up anymore. I usually get a table top mini one or make switch tree like thing with branches that are hang some decorations from. Frankly I am not really home that much, my house has been under renovation for 4 years and by the time I put up the actually trees in the box under the stairs up it will be time to put it away again. All my family gifts get shipped off to my parents house as soon as their wrapped because I go there for Christmas anyways. I also really hate Christmas Decorations up past boxing day. I will probably due a table top arrangement with branches and decorations again. I went nuts on the weekend and started a reno that is going to take forever to complete and have stuff all over the place so Christmas decorations don't seem like that biggest deal right now lol.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Artificial in our house=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psxcslx4xv.jpg
However in the kitchen i did trim my Rosemary bush to reflect the Christmas spirit=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psrjmejsae.jpg

Old 12-15-2015, 09:49 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,587,798 times
Growing up we always had a real tree. As those who had/have real trees know, the smell is wonderful. Our cat loved it as well.

When I moved out, many, many years ago, I didn't bother with a tree, for a long time. Mostly because some apartment building didn't allow real trees, too messy, and I worked a lot during the holidays and wasn't around enough to enjoy a tree.

Now I have a fake one. It's about ten years old, and looks great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada