Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 06:58 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times

Advertisements

Flying into YQB on a Thursday in August, flying out of YUL the following Thursday...how do you recommend we spend our week? Young couple + 10 month old + one set of grandparents. Already reserved a rental car as well.

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 04:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
While i live in Montreal and know what airport YUL represents i have no idea where YQB is.
If you are spending time in Montreal a rental car maybe more hassle than its worth as public transit covers the congested downtown core effectively and with a car you will forever be looking for parking.
http://toeuropeandbeyond.com/15-thin...o-in-montreal/

Old 03-19-2016, 11:01 AM

Sorry I didnt want to write too much.

YQB = Quebec City, YUL = Montreal. Rental car is insanely cheap...my reservation is 100 USD for a compact one week, or $140 for a full size. I guess they really need people moving cars from Quebec to Montreal! Just the fact that we can use it to take it from our lodging to the airport makes it worthwhile in Montreal, even if we leave it parked the days we are there.

btw I have been to Montreal twice and love it...no need to sell me on that city. Just curious how most would divide their time out...considering Tadoussac for whales or Ottawa to visit my cousin (not super close), but neither is necessary. Could just stick to the two cities with a pit stop in Trois-Rivieres

Old 03-20-2016, 07:00 AM

565 posts, read 672,441 times
Tadoussac and the Charlevoix region that lies between Quebec City and Tadoussac are definitely worth a detour. If you go, make sure to use the coastal road between Baie-Saint-Paul (really nice small town full of restaurants, cafes and art galleries) and La Malbaie at least once. It takes longer, but the scenery is amazing.

If you go watch the whales in Tadoussac, go with the zodiac boats; they're much more fun than the bigger boats, and you get to see the whales from much closer.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post

If you go watch the whales in Tadoussac, go with the zodiac boats; they're much more fun than the bigger boats, and you get to see the whales from much closer.
Definitely do the whale watching tour from Tadoussac,you'll be amazed,however which boat you go out on Kinda depends on your preferences,these whale watching trips usually last 3 hours+ I find the Zodiacs cramped,no toilets and you have to dress in a survival suit however i guess you do get to be a few feet closer to the whales..
While the bigger boats have much deck space for viewing, toilets,coffee shop and a place to get out of the weather if its inclement .
Example of the bigger boat=
http://www.croisieresaml.com/docs/du...eau-dufour.jpg

One of the Zodiacs=
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/CWB86D/whal...ada-CWB86D.jpg

We find staying at the Hotel Tadoussac to be very convenient.it has 2 restaurants and you can book your whale watching tour from the lobby then either walk or take their shuttle bus to the boat dock
http://www.reservations.com/hotel/ha...FdgDgQod-iQN9g

Last edited by jambo101; 03-20-2016 at 09:54 AM..

Old 03-22-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the replies! Issue with the zodiacs is one of us would have to sit out and stay with the baby. I'm assuming we could probably bring him on the boat...

Sounds like Ottawa should be a low priority. Stick to Quebec and the countryside is what I'm hearing.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm assuming we could probably bring him on the boat...
Lower deck on the big boat has a coffee shop,plenty of chairs and big windows for viewing,=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...c/DSCF2376.jpg
Upper deck has more chairs.
I think with just a week you will run out of time before you get to Ottawa if Tadoussac,Quebec city and Montreal are on your agenda.
About a 3 hour drive from QC to Tadoussac then a 6+ hour straight drive from Tadoussac to Montreal.

Last edited by jambo101; 03-23-2016 at 02:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada