Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:00 PM

11 posts, read 112,472 times

Advertisements

I'm currently attending university in the Maritimes and I'm toying with the idea of moving to either Vancouver or Montreal upon graduation. I've spent a week in Montreal and absolutely loved it, I've never been to Vancouver but is also seems really cool.

From what I understand Vancouver has a lot of hippie, health conscious, outdoorsy types, and Montreal has has artsy, chain smoking bohemian types. Both of these sound appealing, though I probably lean more toward the former category.

I was hoping to get a little more input. What kind of person would enjoy living in Vancouver, and what kind of person would enjoy Montreal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:52 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,618 times
I was born and raised in Vancouver. My boyfriend of 4 years was born and raised in Montreal. I've been to Montreal 3 separate times.

To generalize, Montrealers are night owls. Vancouverites are morning people. Montrealers embrace the arts. Vancouverites embrace outdoor activities. There is, of course, a lot of overlap.

Somebody who's into large scale nightclubs, historic architecture, romanticism, a wide availability of French pastries, Middle Eastern food and Jewish delicacies (smoked meat! fresh bagels!), attending endless summer festivals, the French language and bilingualism and the Quebec politics that go with it, doing long weekend getaways to New York or to a nearby lake, wearing classic Italian clothing or wearing completely eccentric clothing, visiting sleazy strips, or attending all-nighter parties would enjoy Montreal's scene.

Somebody who's into hanging out at the beach or playing beach volleyball after work/class, walking through temperate rainforests in the city parks, going boating in the ocean in the summer, going for hikes up to mountain viewtops a short drive from downtown, being able to go skiing within a half hour drive all winter, going to house parties, taking weekend getaways to local islands or winery regions, eating cheap sushi, fresh seafood, and all kinds of Asian food in general, and enjoys wearing casual California-inspired clothing would enjoy Vancouver.

Last edited by Robynator; 02-21-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 01:00 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,854 times
And isn't Vancouver a much newer city than Montreal? Vancouver has pretty much all new architecture. You summed it up well Robyn.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:37 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Somebody who's into hanging out at the beach or playing beach volleyball after work/class, walking through temperate rainforests in the city parks, going boating in the ocean in the summer, going for hikes up to mountain viewtops a short drive from downtown, being able to go skiing within a half hour drive all winter, going to house parties, taking weekend getaways to local islands or winery regions, eating cheap sushi, fresh seafood, and all kinds of Asian food in general, and enjoys wearing casual California-inspired clothing would enjoy Vancouver.
Vancouver would be a close match for my personality...

If only Vancouver was 10 Celcuis warmer.

I'm talking instead of a January high of 6 C and July high of 24 C,
I'd like to see a January average high of 16 C and July average high of 34 C!

Instead of a January average low of -1 C, an average low of 9 C.
Instead of a July average low of 13 C, a "tropical" average low of 23 C.

All-time record highs, record lows, even Pacific sea surface temps ... and 10 Celcius to them too.

I'd probably move there in a heartbeat if it was like that.
What do you think, Robynator?

Old 02-21-2008, 04:56 PM

323 posts, read 1,391,091 times
I don't know what kind of person would enjoy Vancouver but if like most students you are on a limited budget than Montreal would be the better of the two. Plus you would be closer
to the Maritimes if you wanted to go back and visit? I think Vancouver would be really nice though too for it's beauty. I get the impression it is rather expensive though. I heard even a trip to the coffee shop is higher priced than in Montreal. Hard decision to make.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Well ColdCanadian, if you move to Vancouver, I'll treat you to lunch at the Gogo Tea Cafe

gogoteacafe

No wait... it would have to by Kitanoya Guu with Otokomae!!

guu-izakaya.com

Last edited by Robynator; 02-21-2008 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
And isn't Vancouver a much newer city than Montreal? Vancouver has pretty much all new architecture. You summed it up well Robyn.
Thanks Lilietta!

Yeah, Vancouver was founded in 1886. A few short years before then it was merely a lumber mill.

Montreal was founded in 1642!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Well ColdCanadian, if you move to Vancouver, I'll treat you to lunch at the Gogo Tea Cafe

gogoteacafe

No wait... it would have to by Kitanoya Guu with Otokomae!!

–k‚Ì‰Æ GUU -Kitanoya GUU- Izakaya,Japanese Tapas in Vancouver

Neat!....

Old 03-23-2008, 07:53 AM

12 posts, read 70,254 times
Smile Go to Montreal not Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearf View Post
I'm currently attending university in the Maritimes and I'm toying with the idea of moving to either Vancouver or Montreal upon graduation. I've spent a week in Montreal and absolutely loved it, I've never been to Vancouver but is also seems really cool.

From what I understand Vancouver has a lot of hippie, health conscious, outdoorsy types, and Montreal has has artsy, chain smoking bohemian types. Both of these sound appealing, though I probably lean more toward the former category.

I was hoping to get a little more input. What kind of person would enjoy living in Vancouver, and what kind of person would enjoy Montreal?
If you want rain and gloomy skies then go to Vancouver. It has a really big problem with street crime, homelessness and one of the poorest ratings on the education level (ie; illiteracy).Montreal can offer you excellent jazz clubs, good food, good conversation and lots of creativity. The cost of living in Vancouver is crazy, compared to in Montreal where you can get some really good deals. Montreal can offer the change in 4 seasons and all the nice things that come with that. lorri.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 16,794 times
Default Moving On

I've lived in Vancouver for a number of years, and every time I go visit Montreal, I fall in love with the city again. So much so, that I'm finally moving this year to MTL.
Vancouver is a geographically beautiful place to live. But there's really not much to do here. If you want to retire and relax, this is your city, but like most singles I've met, Montreal is the city to go.
One of my comparison points were in professional sports; check the number of teams both cities have. Amusement Parks; PlayLand vs La Ronde. Car Racing Circuits; Van doesn't have a F1 Circuit (nevermind there is no GP for 2009).
General Entertainment; how many bands or artists go to Montreal, that never show up in Vancouver. When you go to these concerts or events, and half of the venue is empty, makes you understand what people in this city appreciates.
Vancouver is great for mountain biking, skying, hiking, kayaking, etc.
Population and proximity to other cities; Vancouver has Seattle and that is it. From Montreal you are so close to Boston, Toronto, New York, even Chicago.
Jobs and industries; Vancouver is outstanding for Mining, Forestry, Grains, and such. The East in general, Manufacturing, Finance, Technology.
My 2 cents. ;-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada