Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2023, 04:48 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Maybe not banned legally but this should be quite strongly reproved. And yet so far these marches have been completely shameless.
How would you do that?

Old 10-12-2023, 04:52 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I remember this playing out after 9/11. There are a lot of things I find morally objectionable but do we want to go down the route the Americans took after 9/11 when suddenly we couldn't cross the border without passports and they had Homeland Security and a war that they never could have won and never did? Is the world safer now or is the world angrier?

I'm totally in favour of upping police presence to make sure things don't get out of hand. I suspect if Canada were to ban pro-Palestinian protests illegal protests would break out with a greater chance of violence.

There was a large pro-Palestinian protest in Paris today in spite of the ban.

Old 10-12-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
How would you do that?
I don't have a magic wand unfortunately.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
I don't have a magic wand unfortunately.
I would never encourage anyone to go to a pro-Palestinian protest and if I knew of such a person I suspect my true feelings would show on my face. I might even say something.

But for one thing if a protest is not illegal, what would the police do about a report of someone attending? I would assume nothing unless that person was already on their watch list for some other reason, in which case I would assume they already had their eyes on that person.

I have Jewish cousins and Jewish nieces, fwiw.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:25 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Quote:
Maybe not banned legally but this should be quite strongly reproved. And yet so far these marches have been completely shameless.
Is there much pro-Palestinian sentiment among the Québécois?

Old 10-12-2023, 05:28 PM

1,226 posts, read 501,182 times
Quote:
I would never encourage anyone to go to a pro-Palestinian protest and if I knew of such a person I suspect my true feelings would show on my face. I might even say something.

But for one thing if a protest is not illegal, what would the police do about a report of someone attending? I would assume nothing unless that person was already on their watch list for some other reason, in which case I would assume they already had their eyes on that person.

The problem Netwit is not that some one might be pro-palestinian. There are plenty of palestinians that want peace and do not agree with the actions of hamas. The issue is hamas is a terrorist organization, and they are the ones that made the call to protest tomorrow. Anyone attending these protest tomorrow is bascially openly supporting terrorism.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:32 PM

I think most fair-minded people including many Jews feel that Palestinians should probably have their own country. It's the details that are hard to work out.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I was talking more about our leaders, institutions and civil society condemning pro-Hamas marches.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is there much pro-Palestinian sentiment among the Québécois?
Pro-Palestinian to some degree but not pro-Hamas. These events have definitely moved the neede towards the Israeli side.

Historically Québécois were Pro-Palestine and anti-Israel so this is a shift.

It's really only the far left that support Hamas/Palestine right now.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:43 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Quote:
Pro-Palestinian to some degree but not pro-Hamas. These events have definitely moved the neede towards the Israeli side.

Historically Québécois were Pro-Palestine and anti-Israel so this is a shift.

It's really only the far left that support Hamas/Palestine right now.
I knew there was sympathy toward the Palestine cause in Quebec back when the separatist fever was running high. I thought it might have cooled off since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada