Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:15 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,822,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Over the 4th of July weekend I saw a shocking amount of them along the Jersey shore, it was rather surprising for a state that is considered pretty blue for presidential elections (though even the bluest and reddest states have their areas that don't fit the state criteria). I don't even see as many in the rural parts of Western PA which is unfortunately very pro-Trump. It's quite a fall (as a liberal IMO) after being one of the few areas of the US to Reagan didn't win in his elections.
The Jersey Shore is the most Republican part of the state:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 01:16 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,009 times
I actually can't tell you. I went to Africa, Europe, South America and other countries in North America before I ever travelled to Canada. I have friends who have been to Rome, Cape Town, Hong Kong, London, ect. yet they have never steped foot in Canada.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:47 AM

136 posts, read 129,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I actually can't tell you. I went to Africa, Europe, South America and other countries in North America before I ever travelled to Canada. I have friends who have been to Rome, Cape Town, Hong Kong, London, ect. yet they have never steped foot in Canada.
It's not that hard to figure out why Americans go everywhere on the planet before they set foot in Canada:

GOING TO A SMALL INCAN TOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BOLIVIAN ANDES, WHERE YOU CAN HIKE UP THE VOLCANO ALLEY AND THEN TAKE A TOUR OF THE FLOATING TOWNS OF LAKE TITICACA, AND HEAR THE ANCIENT QUECHUA LANGUAGE AND THEN OFF TO MACCHU PICHU

VERSUS

GOING TO CALGARY TO SEE AMERICAN STYLE HOCKEY STADIUMS, SUBURBIAS AND SHOPPING MALLS AND SEE PEOPLE THAT LOOK NO DIFFERENT FROM THE PEOPLE YOU SEE BACK IN NEBRASKA!!!

Normal American youngsters are obviously going to pick Bolivia!!!

Old 08-30-2016, 10:33 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
It's not that hard to figure out why Americans go everywhere on the planet before they set foot in Canada:

GOING TO A SMALL INCAN TOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BOLIVIAN ANDES, WHERE YOU CAN HIKE UP THE VOLCANO ALLEY AND THEN TAKE A TOUR OF THE FLOATING TOWNS OF LAKE TITICACA, AND HEAR THE ANCIENT QUECHUA LANGUAGE AND THEN OFF TO MACCHU PICHU

VERSUS

GOING TO CALGARY TO SEE AMERICAN STYLE HOCKEY STADIUMS, SUBURBIAS AND SHOPPING MALLS AND SEE PEOPLE THAT LOOK NO DIFFERENT FROM THE PEOPLE YOU SEE BACK IN NEBRASKA!!!

Or you know, the Rockies. The place that everyone else in the world comes to see.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:03 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Or you know, the Rockies. The place that everyone else in the world comes to see.
Yeah, but then again, Americans have Colorado... Not AS pretty, but still...

Old 08-30-2016, 01:36 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah, but then again, Americans have Colorado... Not AS pretty, but still...
Agreed, but to the other point, they could go to any one of dozens of Native American settlements across Oklahoma, Montana, Washington, Alaska, etc. and learn a local dying language and then hit up Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly and the other ruins there.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post

VERSUS

Lol. I did everything you listed this year lol. Went to Cusco, took the Inca Rail to Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo before taking a bus through the Peruvian Andes to Puno, where I toured Lake Titicaca and saw the Uros Islands made of reed and full of tribes. Then I took a bus to Copacabana, crossed Lake Titicaca on a boat and visited La Paz.

Americans might have no interest in Alberta, but I think there's some niche tourism to places like Quebec and Ottawa and Victoria where there's a 'European' ambience. A lot of Americans here visit DC because it's the easiest way they can experience Europe on the cheap (due to the neo-classical buildings, the Library of Congress, the memorials, the Art galleries full of Renoirs and Manets), etc. So I think Montreal, Quebec City and maybe Victoria and Ottawa can carve out niche tourist nodes. Ottawa probably not since most Americans will be content with visiting just DC, which offers 10x as much as Ottawa for 1/5th the airfare. Victoria is a good bet though since it doesn't have a 'historical' rival in the Pacific Northwest. You can get Victoria in New England or Virginia or Maryland, but for people in Oregon or Washington State, they might as well head to Victoria since it's cheaper.

Places like Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Toronto will always struggle to get lots of U.S. tourist attention. They don't, as you say, offer anything that Americans can't find in their own cities.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but to the other point, they could go to any one of dozens of Native American settlements across Oklahoma, Montana, Washington, Alaska, etc. and learn a local dying language and then hit up Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly and the other ruins there.
A lot of Americans are doing just this:

Fly into Las Vegas
Valley of Fire
Hoover Dam
Grand Canyon
Sedona
Rainbow Bridge
Canyon de Chelly
Four Corners
Mesa Verde
Moab and visit Canyonlands
Capitol Reef
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Return to Las Vegas

Old 08-30-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Americans have Yosemite and Yellowstone/Grand Teton. Those are the competitors to Banff and Jasper.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 PM

800 posts, read 730,748 times
I guess they see canada as america light. Their is really nothing canada does better than america other than hockey, health care and low crime. I figure Americans would he as willing to come to Canada as much as they want to see Minneapolis or Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada