Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 02:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Of course it does. We're "provincial". We haven't been competing at a high enough level, and there aren't enough high level critics in the country or that visit the country. When they do, and have an open mind, amazing things happen. When they don't they expect maple everything, salmon and beaver tails, can find it, and it satisfies their little stereotype.

Best advice is enjoy the fantastic places we know are out there, and revel in the fact that for the most part they're still affordable, and not filled for months ahead with the instagramming foodie populace who sucks the fun out of everything.
True. People have access to " affordable " high end restaurants that would be double of triple the prices elsewhere.

You're right. It's kind of like making a deal with the devil. Be recognized and pay for it !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 12:09 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Not to derail your thread, but I'm curious as to why Michelin stars matter so much to people? My favourite restaurant in all of Canada and possibly even the world is a place called Nazareth in Toronto that doesn't sell anything on its 9 or 10 item menu for more than $10.95. When I think of Michelin Stars, I just think of people pumping air into egg yolks with a syringe and the feudal system.
I agree. It is about boasting rights and vanity. Do people really know why the Michelin restaurants are good? No. They just need some star system to convince them they are good.

Yesterday I had a three course meal in Lyon. One of my best dining experience for about 16 euros (or $24). it would have cost at least twice as much in Toronto, where a boring chicken pasta may easily cost as much including tax and tip. The menu include stuff like salad with poultry liver, pork feet, duck chin and tongues, blood sausages, all outside most white anglophone Canadians' comfort zone, who are always about beef steak, chicken breast and salmon (of all kinds of fish). So don't blame anyone for lack of great restaurants. Peoples' palate is generally boring and conservative.

Wha about lamb face as a dish? Yeah, I thought so.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I agree. It is about boasting rights and vanity. Do people really know why the Michelin restaurants are good? No. They just need some star system to convince them they are good.

Yesterday I had a three course meal in Lyon. One of my best dining experience for about 16 euros (or $24). it would have cost at least twice as much in Toronto, where a boring chicken pasta may easily cost as much including tax and tip. The menu include stuff like salad with poultry liver, pork feet, duck chin and tongues, blood sausages, all outside most white anglophone Canadians' comfort zone, who are always about beef steak, chicken breast and salmon (of all kinds of fish). So don't blame anyone for lack of great restaurants. Peoples' palate is generally boring and conservative.

Wha about lamb face as a dish? Yeah, I thought so.
You mean lamb cheeks? I've seen them on many a menu in Canada.

I agree though that " nose to tail " eating, although it exists in Canada, is not hugely popular.

Lyon! One of my fave cities. A friend who lives in Lyon took me to a few restaurants that were amazing and inexpensive because they were up and coming. We had meals that he said in a few months would cost 3 times more because the chef was a rising star.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:10 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
The beauty of a city getting a Michelin guide is that it is accompanied by the Big Gorumand guide which features moderately priced restaurants to balance with the typically pricy Michelin starred restaurants.

The best meal of my life was probably at a 1 star in Barcelona names Cinc Sentitis. Just an amazing meal start to finish that really was the entire package top to bottom.

I know it is popular to rag on the Michelin guide but there is not a city on that list that does not have excellent low cost places to eat as well. In London for example there is no reason why you can't enjoy a 10 course tasting menu at Gordon Ramsey one night, eat at a mid priced gastropub like Bull and Last the next night then follow it up with a dirt cheap Punjabi meal at Needoo Grill.
It's not by chance that the places with Michelin guides are some of the best cities to eat in the world.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:46 AM

579 posts, read 664,862 times
And given these considerations, we can all agree that, for each Michelin-starred restaurant, there are probably dozens or hundreds of restaurants that can compare food-wise, and equally many fine options for fine dining, and said restaurants have menus across a wide range of cuisines and budgets.

Toronto is a heaven for ethnic cuisine (especially if one is a Chinese food buff, which is one of Toronto's primary claims to fame in the restaurant world) whereas Montreal has one glaring weakness: Mexican food, while being strong for a number of things.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post

Toronto is a heaven for ethnic cuisine (especially if one is a Chinese food buff, which is one of Toronto's primary claims to fame in the restaurant world) whereas Montreal has one glaring weakness: Mexican food, while being strong for a number of things.
You're right about that. When I lived there up until 2008, there were no real good Mexican restaurants, a few have opened up since I left, but still it is weird there are not more.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
And given these considerations, we can all agree that, for each Michelin-starred restaurant, there are probably dozens or hundreds of restaurants that can compare food-wise, and equally many fine options for fine dining, and said restaurants have menus across a wide range of cuisines and budgets.

Mexican food in Vancouver was always of the Tex-Mex variety. However in the last few years some real Mexican places have opened that serve much more authentic food.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Mexican food in Vancouver was always of the Tex-Mex variety. However in the last few years some real Mexican places have opened that serve much more authentic food.
What are some good Mexican places to check out in Vancouver?

Old 09-23-2016, 02:06 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:

Montreal's status as a great food city has never really been about having all of the world's cuisines done well in the same city. It's *missing* a number of cuisines when you compare it to Toronto, for example.

What sets Montreal apart is the originality of its own local cuisine.

Not that it has the second-best Abyssinian outside of Addis Abeba or something...

Old 09-23-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal's status as a great food city has never really been about having all of the world's cuisines done well in the same city. It's *missing* a number of cuisines when you compare it to Toronto, for example.

What sets Montreal apart is the originality of its own local cuisine.

That's true, even things like its famous smoked meat and the Montreal bagel set it apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada