Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:45 AM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Sympathetic Canadians Have a Message for Americans: You Guys Are Great

This article, in yesterday's New York Times, heartened my continued belief in our great neighbor (often misspelled as "neighbour") to the north, Canada. This is a rare piece of good news in an otherwise depressing U.S. election that in many ways makes the U.S. a laughingstock on the world stage.

The article highlights something rarely mentioned in detail; how much having a peaceful, friendly and undefended border means. This means that at least since Canada was granted dominion status in 1867 neither country has had to waste money on defense against the other.

It also meant that two peoples could have independence and self-determination while enjoying all of the business of social and business intercourse. I have always felt that our friendship with Canada was a vital part of the mix that gave both countries prosperity and happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 07:27 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Canadians just feel good because we have a beefcake PM.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Canadians just feel good because we have a beefcake PM.
I would have taken Harper as our president any day. Trudeau, not so much.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:45 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I refuse to refer to America as anything even remotely close to 'great' at this particular time.

Donald. Trump. Is. A. Potential. President. Of. The. Country.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 AM

196 posts, read 216,842 times
Thanks for sharing that nice story.

Traveling to the USA, Americans I've talked to always seemed friendly, warm, helpful -good people. Gets overshadowed at times by the politics, but it must not be forgotten.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I refuse to refer to America as anything even remotely close to 'great' at this particular time.

Donald. Trump. Is. A. Potential. President. Of. The. Country.
Our President does not define our country any more than the malodorous likes of Mulroney and Chretien define yours. Or such GG's as Adrienne Clarkson or French citizen Michaelle Jean. We have had some lulus as President:
  1. John Tyler
  2. Millard Fillmore
  3. James Buchanan
  4. Woodrow Wilson (racist)
  5. Warren Gamieliel Harding
  6. Franklin Delano Roosevelt (lots of Jewish blood on his hands)
  7. John F. Kennedy
  8. Lyndon Johnson
  9. Richard Nixon
  10. Jimmy Carter
  11. Barack Obama
But none define our country, thank G-d. And somehow I don't think that Donald Trump becomes our next President. Do you think he will?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Thanks for sharing that nice story.

Traveling to the USA, Americans I've talked to always seemed friendly, warm, helpful -good people. Gets overshadowed at times by the politics, but it must not be forgotten.
Thanks. And I repped this post.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:18 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Thanks, Canada! Glad you're our neighbo(u)rs!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:45 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

I have always felt that our friendship with Canada was a vital part of the mix that gave both countries prosperity and happiness.
I couldn't agree more.

Nice post JBG.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Our President does not define our country any more than the malodorous likes of Mulroney and Chretien define yours. Or such GG's as Adrienne Clarkson or French citizen Michaelle Jean. We have had some lulus as President:
  1. John Tyler
  2. Millard Fillmore
  3. James Buchanan
  4. Woodrow Wilson (racist)
  5. Warren Gamieliel Harding
  6. Franklin Delano Roosevelt (lots of Jewish blood on his hands)
  7. John F. Kennedy
  8. Lyndon Johnson
  9. Richard Nixon
  10. Jimmy Carter
  11. Barack Obama
But none define our country, thank G-d. And somehow I don't think that Donald Trump becomes our next President. Do you think he will?Thanks. And I repped this post.
It is 2016, and Trump is being at least considerably democratically supported by a very concerning proportion of American citizens. So, I do believe he does represent a sort of problem with a lot of Americans' mindset.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
It is 2016, and Trump is being at least considerably democratically supported by a very concerning proportion of American citizens. So, I do believe he does represent a sort of problem with a lot of Americans' mindset.
It is also possible that he represents a sort of problem with the mindset of America's governing class, which increasingly demonstrates contempt for its citizenry, contemptuously feeding us a steady diet of dogfood, aka incompetence, endless war, and utter lack of governing foresight -- and then is appalled -- appalled -- by the possibility of a Trump presidency.

When you leave a people no palatable choice, and mock them for their impotence, do not be surprised when they lash out in seemingly incomprehensible ways, a la Brexit...

Trump is not a disease. Trump is a symptom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada