Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 05:05 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times

Advertisements

I think what concerns me the most about Trump is how frequently he lies if it is to his advantage to do so. During the campaign most of those lies could be exposed by fact checking. Now Trump has access to classified information and what he says can no long be verified independently.

I think of George Bush and his false claim of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and how so many Americans I argued with online believed Bush and supported the war as a result.

I wonder how many people will die because of Trump's lies, not just Americans but citizens of other countries as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 05:06 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Default U.S. electoral systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
People will vote how they like, your vote doesn't make you more or less educated or ignorant.. everyone has their own reasons for why they vote and yes im sure many ignorant and non educated people voted but this is just democracy at work and this is what the people want guys, sorry not everything goes our way sometimes.
For practical purposes it is a choice between two political parties. And you may not care much for the politics of either party.

Yet there seems to be an assumption that everybody is voting for something. (And if you don't agree with that something there must be something wrong with those voters).

But how often are people voting against something. What if their choices are based on what is (perceived as) the lesser of two evils?

Old 11-09-2016, 05:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I think what concerns me the most about Trump is how frequently he lies if it is to his advantage to do so. During the campaign most of those lies could be exposed by fact checking. Now Trump has access to classified information and what he says can no long be verified independently.

I think of George Bush and his false claim of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and how so many Americans I argued with online believed Bush and supported the war as a result.

I wonder how many people will die because of Trump's lies, not just Americans but citizens of other countries as well.
How people can vote for a man who is a serial liar troubles me. Before anyone says " all politicians " lie, there is a difference in making campaign promises that aren't kept, and actual proven falsehoods in the quantity that comes out of Trump's mouth.

I don't care for David Frum's politics, but he got one thing right about this election. Trump's presidency will be one crisis after another.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:24 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
How people can vote for a man who is a serial liar troubles me. Before anyone says " all politicians " lie, there is a difference in making campaign promises that aren't kept, and actual proven falsehoods in the quantity that comes out of Trump's mouth.

I don't care for David Frum's politics, but he got one thing right about this election. Trump's presidency will be one crisis after another.
Poorly educated voters don't care about facts. They simply vote for whoever says the things they want to hear.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL Neither do developed liberal nations in Europe.
They are getting there.....ever visited certain areas of Paris or Rome??

Old 11-09-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Predicting the future is a fool's errand...we have't learned that lesson yet and probably we never will....

Old 11-09-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
but there is a reason Canadian cities get ranked as some of the best in the world in which to live.

...usually in totally arbitrary criterias...people do not longer believe in these "studies"....and for a good reason....

Old 11-09-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Predicting the future is a fool's errand...we have't learned that lesson yet and probably we never will....
You're right. His behaviour so far has shown us how great a president he will be.

Once he walks through the magic doors of the White House, he will become someone all can look up to.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...usually in totally arbitrary criterias...people do not longer believe in these "studies"....and for a good reason....
Nah, things like access to healthcare, safety, and education are pretty easily measured. Besides, I'd rather live in a country that doesn't
need this on the door to a Starbucks.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:06 PM

48 posts, read 46,534 times
Quote:
Nah, things like access to healthcare, safety, and education are pretty easily measured.
I don't think Americans believe we get healthcare at all. They are convinced we die on waiting lists. In terms of the safety and education I am almost positive they will argue against that too. I do think most Americans believe their country does these three things exceptionally already despite statistics (that they won't listen to) stating otherwise. It's called American exceptionalism and it is almost its own ideology.

It doesn't matter what you say, they won't listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada