Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 06:24 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
I agree, for the elite, things are looking good. For the bottom 80%, not so much.
I am an accountant and tax preparer here in the US, dealing with primarily small businesses. The sense of hope and excitement is palpable among the people I deal with on a daily basis.

There is a sense that they don't know quite how things are going to work out but, anything will be better than the previous eight years, and that is among my black clients, as well as, the whites, Asians and Hispanics.

People seem upbeat, invigorated and I love it. It looks like there will be lots of changes or attempts at change and hopefully, all will benefit. There are people up there who know how to solve problems.

Two different slants on New York City, the skating rink in Central Park and Donald Trump.

Forbes Welcome

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/f...mp-s-candidacy

I think the Forbes one is the most fair. This story illustrates why a lot of people are upbeat about the future, middle class workers and small business owners, the forgotten Americans that want to work, be self sufficient and cut loose from all this PC nonsense.

I had a Canadian working for me for years. He went back and forth every six months. He liked America and Canada. He came down and played golf and worked for me for six months then went back to Canada and worked his 6 months up there. A good guy.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:29 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Those Democratic states above have 96,716,379 people. They would contribute nearly 3/4ths of this "new country's" GDP, would have more than 4/5ths of the Global 2000 companies, would have 9/10ths of the best universities, the best weather (forests, palm trees, beaches, mountains, deserts), higher GDP per capita and lower household debt (and no housing bubble on the horizon). What do they get by joining Canada, a country with high debt, bad weather, high cost of living, and a housing bubble on the horizon?

Not to mention they'd have to adopt the Queen as their Head of State, a woman whose sole claim to power is being gifted extreme wealth. Americans value meritocracy not aristocratic heredity. We value picking oneself up by the bootstraps, not worshipping a family of inbred royals with overbites.

Canada's a definite upgrade over Mississippi and Alabama. But joining with Canada is still an economic downgrade over those Blue States going it alone.

Why not just break away from the USA and form your own country if Americas west coast is so great,whats the need of Canada?

Old 12-19-2016, 06:40 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Okay. Most, then.
Silly boy.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:04 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,825,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why not just break away from the USA and form your own country if Americas west coast is so great,whats the need of Canada?
There is no need. That's precisely my point. Thank you. Taking in Canada would be an economic albatross for the Blue States. Canada doesn't produce things people want to buy. Canada doesn't have a single well-known multinational that's not a bank. Blackberry was the big thing for a while but failed. Bombardier is failing as well. So what does Canada bring to the table?

What is the Canadian equivalent of Apple, Google, Facebook, Netflix, Verizon, Visa, Oracle, Microsoft, Disney, Gilead Sciences, Tesla Motors, IBM, Pepsi, America Express, Costco, Amazon, Starbucks, Hewlett-Packard, etc etc? There is none.

Again, Canada's better than Mississippi or Alabama. But it's not better than going in alone. Canada has a nominal GDP per capita (according to the IMF) of $43,413. California is at $61,924. Washington is at $62,213. Massachusetts is at $69,705. Connecticut is at $72,331. New York is at $72,965.

Canada's GDP per capita of $43,413 is closer to Alabama's $42,663 and even lower than Oklahoma's $46,298 than it is to the Blue States.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:08 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,825,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Silly boy.
I don't know why you're so proudly Canadian when the rest of Canada really doesn't give two ****s about Quebec. Two of my Canadian friends from grad school (one from Victoria, one from Toronto) both had an arsenal of Quebec jokes ready to fire off. It's very disturbing that the people of Quebec continue to tolerate the abuse from Anglo-Canadians. Especially considering that Quebec is by far the best province in the whole country (followed far behind by BC) and then the rest are 10 miles away.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:45 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,293,413 times
You forgot Minnesota.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I don't know why you're so proudly Canadian when the rest of Canada really doesn't give two ****s about Quebec. Two of my Canadian friends from grad school (one from Victoria, one from Toronto) both had an arsenal of Quebec jokes ready to fire off. It's very disturbing that the people of Quebec continue to tolerate the abuse from Anglo-Canadians. Especially considering that Quebec is by far the best province in the whole country (followed far behind by BC) and then the rest are 10 miles away.
What gives you the impression that I am a rah-rah-rah Canadian?

Old 12-19-2016, 08:05 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You and your husband sound like lovely people. Unfortunately we older folks are not wanted in most countries as new immigrants....I wonder....maybe get your kids ( if you have some )to immigrate and then have them sponsor mum and dad to join them.
I tried to thank you but it looks like I have repped you too much already.

Although Nova Scotia has long been a dream of mine and we would still be somewhat close to family who are in the US, we are taking a good look at retiring to the UK. Hubby is English so we could get in!

(I've just got to get up to the Canadian border before I go--lots of genealogy to do there.)

Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Silly boy.
Pourquoi?

Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Pourquoi?
Parce que I don't think que c'est accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada