Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Tipping is 600 years old and it did not originate in North America. The custom originated in England in the 1400's and started with the tipping of household servants and other public service people. The British brought the custom with them to other countries that they visited or colonized and the tipping culture evolved from then on to what it is today.

Here is the history of tipping (gratuities given) plus information about which cultures today do it and which do not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity

I'll tip anyone who provides me with caring, personal service. The better and more considerate and caring the personal service, the higher the tip. It could be a waiter, the chef, my hairdresser, my accountant, the lady that works at the laundromat or the boy who carefully bags my groceries and helps me out to the parking lot with them and loads them into the car. I don't care who it is.

If I get careless or impersonal service they don't get a tip.

It's an old practice that most of the world has moved beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 01:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, I'm old and set in my ways. I always have and still do believe in showing my appreciation for good personal service rendered to me. Most of the world has moved beyond showing appreciation. Just because the rest of the world is going that way doesn't mean I have to be like that too. We reap what we sow.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:27 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
It should be the employer's responsibility to ensure that employees are paid a decent wage. The customer should not be expected to cover what the employer should.

Tipping should be an independent choice, rather than a choice primarily influenced by cultural pressure.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 01-11-2017 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 02:05 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I tip because it is common practice here. I am not a fan of the tipping culture in Canada at all. I think if someone goes above and beyond that is one thing.... but getting a tip just for doing what you are paid for (even when you are not that good at it) is comical. The bottom line is 99% of the time I am eating out I am hungry ... I dont want to talk to anyone and make BS converstaions or get some sales pitches about what is on the menu as I can read for myself. I would actually be totally okay with just typing in what I want ... then walking up to the counter and getting it myself. This is one of the many stupid things we do.
I always tip at full service restaurants but I get a kick out of the tip jars I see at coffee shops and fast food places. You aren't a tipped employee so why should everyone give you one?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I always tip at full service restaurants but I get a kick out of the tip jars I see at coffee shops and fast food places. You aren't a tipped employee so why should everyone give you one?
I do not tip if I do not get service. Those jars are just like pan handling to me. You do nothing ... you get nothing. A while back I was at a restaurant in Toronto with a freind. You actually had to get up to and go to the counter to order your food and then you had to pick it up at the counter when it was done. On top of that you had to go to the counter to get and pay the bill. When it came to pay there was a prompt of the machine suggesting I should tip. In that case I did not tip as I had no reason to tip.... I did not get any service. I reality in until I pay off my mortgage I DONT technically have any spare change ! Maybe I should have a cup with a note on my desk asking for tips lol .

Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, I'm old and set in my ways. I always have and still do believe in showing my appreciation for good personal service rendered to me. Most of the world has moved beyond showing appreciation. Just because the rest of the world is going that way doesn't mean I have to be like that too. We reap what we sow.

Thanks, Zoisite. You said it for me.

In addition, I tip because I worked in service positions MANY, MANY years ago (my wage was $1 an hour) and tips kept me alive. I was very good at my job though - and I earned a lot more in tips than I did in wages. Not all other servers where I worked did as well, even if they had better 'sections' to service on any given night - so it was also a helpful boost to my ego and my motivation. That job is not an easy one.

I don't tip as well when the service is not good however but I do not blame the server when the cook/kitchen messes up .. many people think that if their meal is delayed or not well cooked, that is always the server's fault. In the first case, it could be but one can usually tell just by watching how busy the restaurant/server is and whether they seem to be continually working (not texting, staring around aimlessly or chatting or having a drink in the corner).

I am also less eager to tip if I don't feel the tip is going to the person I wanted to tip (and that is becoming more of an issue these days it seems, in places where tips are split but the customer is not told with whom and even that it is happening).

I also tip at some places where not only is the owner, the cook, but it is a take out place. If that owner/cook is always pleasant, if I know them well and they remember me when I come in and try to accommodate my desires/needs, if they give me good and quick service, they deserve 'appreciation' as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Aery11; 01-11-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 03:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
because Canada does pretty much everything Americans do, even the pounds and feet don't die entirely.

For those proud Canadians who don't agree with my explanation: imagine the US gets rid of the tipping practice this year, what are the chances Canada will stick to it next year? Very slim.

I deeply hate the tipping culture. And there is no evidence that it produces better service either. It is just stupid and illogical. A waitor who brings you a $50 steak deserves 10 times the compensation than a waitor who brings a $5 salad, making any sense?
Then you must hate France. Tips " Service Compris " is added in most cafes and restaurants. You also tip washroom attendants ( notice the little tip dish? )
You tip Taxi, hotel maids, porters at trains stations and airports etc.

In Italy it's even worse. In Restaurants not only will you see the tip added, but added charges for service, meaning the use of cutlery and plates.

Just like your ignorant rant about supermarkets, of which you were TOTALLY incorrect about their origins, you are also incorrect in stating that tipping is a North American thing, and Canadians are just copying.

Here a litte ETIQUETTE link for you. I'm just concerned that next time, a waiter might recognize you and spit in your food.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/20...-tipping-guide

Old 01-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not quite . In a lot of places it's on the bill.

Etiquette 101: Your Guide to Tipping Around the World - Condé Nast Traveler

Old 01-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
As an Aussie, I have a friend who is Canadian, I got the impression that Canadians were alot like Aussie, I heard they have Universal health care, have unemployment benefits and a minimum wage like Aussies did, so why do they tip on top of their minimum wage, Aussies get a "high" minimum wage ($17 Aussie) by world standards but people don't recognise (which is why i did inverted commas around the high word) is that the cost of living is higher too, but why tip, whats the reason behind tipping if one gets a living wage? what are the reasons, just customary?
If you work in a nice restaurant in Canada, you will make more than an Australian waiter who may not get any tips.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:04 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I do not tip if I do not get service. Those jars are just like pan handling to me. You do nothing ... you get nothing. A while back I was at a restaurant in Toronto with a freind. You actually had to get up to and go to the counter to order your food and then you had to pick it up at the counter when it was done. On top of that you had to go to the counter to get and pay the bill. When it came to pay there was a prompt of the machine suggesting I should tip. In that case I did not tip as I had no reason to tip.... I did not get any service. I reality in until I pay off my mortgage I DONT technically have any spare change ! Maybe I should have a cup with a note on my desk asking for tips lol .
What's wrong with dropping your spare change in the jar for some people who aren't making much more than minimum wage? If everybody did it, their lives might just be a touch better and it costs very little to the giver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada