Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 01:39 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times

Advertisements

Just starting this thread to see where it leads and to hear some other ideas and thoughts around this topic.

The "C" word ... you know cancer . Is it me or every day do I meet someone who has or had cancer. In the last few months I have had 2 aunts and 1 co-worker diagnosed with cancer. All different type of cancer.

I only worked in the area of oncology for a short time along time ago. I am really curious to hear people's experiences that have had to deal with the Canadian health care system and cancer treatment ex what is covered or not covered. The quality and timeliness of the care provided. Also the views regarding traditional treatments vs the incorporation of alternative therapies.

I know as someone trained in traditional western health care way of thinking alternative therapies are often looked at skeptically. I currently know of someone who was advised to undergo chemotherapy or radiation therapy who is pretty young and decline thinking she could cure her cancer by drinking some lemon drink alternative therapy . In my head I want to grab her by the shoulders a shake her screaming ....." are F****** nuts!!!! This is not a joke!!! You have a small window of time to try and fight back!! You are going to DIE if you play games like this!!!! ( but she does not know I know and has some other people trying to discourage her from doing this instead of other treatment).

How do you guys feel we are doing as a country managing Cancer treatment?

I honestly feel as cancer is so common I think all Canadians should have a basic understanding about what cancer is, treatments, screening suggestions and what to expect when they or someone they know is informed they have cancer.

P.S. Feel free to take this thread in any direction it needs to go to make your point as I think it will enrich the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 07:44 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
I know quite a few people that have died from cancer over the past few years, including a 37 year old relative that had a two year old. It was very sad. I know of another high school buddy that died a a few years back, he was only 35. To me it seems like an epidemic.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:36 PM

Too many people are going through this and what to do factor is just not clear.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:19 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times
Sharks are immune to cancer. Bastards.

On a positive note, and one every male on here should read:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/03...00-in-recovery

Old 02-05-2017, 05:40 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Sharks are immune to cancer. Bastards.

On a positive note, and one every male on here should read:

Bret 'The Hitman' Hart beats down cancer, says he's 100% in recovery | Wrestling
Regarding the sharks ... that is pretty interesting.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:54 PM

242 posts, read 300,679 times
I think everyone has been touched by cancer in some way or another. If they haven't been a patient then someone they love has had the disease. I have had several relatives get it with the most recent being my uncle, who had a recurrence of prostate cancer last year. The first time around he had surgery and when it recurred they gave him radiotherapy. There was a small delay in him starting treatment both times but for the most part the healthcare system came through when he needed it to.

Researchers have made some significant advancements in cancer research and in doing so have helped further our understanding of the problem. Unfortunately, cancer is a very complex issue and, thus, finding treatments isn't so simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada