Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 09:50 AM

193 posts, read 217,165 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Austin, TX and now I live in Montreal but i feel like somehow Montreal just doesn't cut it for me. While, Montreal is amazing as a big city, it's relatively too busy, too fast-paced and the social interaction not as friendly.

Let's leave the big 3 out (Montreal Toronto Vancouver.

Which smaller-sized city in Canada has a significant bohemian populace, a population focused on music, art, philosophy; high education-intellectual vibe but not necessary; free-spirited; friendly; likely to identify as being spiritual; "hip", outside the box, open-minded vibe; lifestyle focused on the outdoors.

Basically, I'm looking for the Canadian version of Austin, TX or Portland, OR.

Or it could even be on the scale of towns. the Canadian version of small artsy towns such as Marfa, TX; Eugene, OR; Asheville, NC; Bisbee, AZ; Missoula, MT; Boulder, CO.

And if you have knowledge, could you add a brief description of the vibe at the place, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 12:20 PM

247 posts, read 198,248 times
The first small sized city that comes to mind is Victoria, BC. On Vancouver Island, it is liberal, open-minded and very outdoor activity focused. Hiking, kayaking, skiing, boating, camping etc are all very popular. Very LGBT friendly, many venues for all types of music and art showings. Cultural events and festivals through the year esp. during the summertime.

Local coffee culture is big, vegan and vegetarian food choices, tons of hipster pubs and bars, 420 friendly, many highly educated men and women work here. Many government positions as the Parliament is here as well as a growing tech sector.

As far as friendliness, people in Victoria are nice and considerate. However, this is the PNW, and the west coast, especially Vancouver, can be felt as unfriendly to some people. It is a respectful and reserved vibe generally but there are truly all kinds of personalities around. I love it here, just wish the city was much bigger.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post

....... a significant bohemian populace, a population focused on music, art, philosophy; high education-intellectual vibe but not necessary; free-spirited; friendly; likely to identify as being spiritual; "hip", outside the box, open-minded vibe; lifestyle focused on the outdoors.

Basically, I'm looking for the Canadian version of Austin, TX or Portland, OR.......

I doubt there is any such town in Canada that packs all of those things into one package. There are probably some touristy and resort towns that come close but still aren't the full package. Coombs, Nelson, Harrison Village and Chemainus in BC come to mind.

You might find something that has the full package in some small out of the way villages or communes, or at some private retreats that you pay a set fee to stay at for 2 or 3 weeks while taking courses they offer. I know there are some retreats like that on some of the islands on the west coast but they aren't open to the public

Old 04-08-2017, 12:40 PM

247 posts, read 198,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I doubt there is any such town in Canada that packs all of those things into one package. There are probably some touristy and resort towns that come close but still aren't the full package. Coombs, Nelson, Harrison Village and Chemainus in BC come to mind.
^ I agree, Victoria has a lot of these things but no city will check all the boxes. Nelson is definitely another place to look into although it is very small.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Yes Nelson is a small town, and Coombs, Harrison and Chemainus are even smaller. But so delightful.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCan View Post
^ I agree, Victoria has a lot of these things but no city will check all the boxes. Nelson is definitely another place to look into although it is very small.
OP is talking about Austin and Portland, you are talking about Nelson, which I have never heard of.. checked population, 10,000. It is a small town, not a small city.

Victoria is an isolated old people's town. It has no vibe, no energy, no art. Forget it. It has Canada's 3rd oldest population with almost 20% over 65 years old.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
I used to live in Austin, TX and now I live in Montreal but i feel like somehow Montreal just doesn't cut it for me. While, Montreal is amazing as a big city, it's relatively too busy, too fast-paced and the social interaction not as friendly.

Let's leave the big 3 out (Montreal Toronto Vancouver.

Which smaller-sized city in Canada has a significant bohemian populace, a population focused on music, art, philosophy; high education-intellectual vibe but not necessary; free-spirited; friendly; likely to identify as being spiritual; "hip", outside the box, open-minded vibe; lifestyle focused on the outdoors.

Basically, I'm looking for the Canadian version of Austin, TX or Portland, OR.

Or it could even be on the scale of towns. the Canadian version of small artsy towns such as Marfa, TX; Eugene, OR; Asheville, NC; Bisbee, AZ; Missoula, MT; Boulder, CO.

And if you have knowledge, could you add a brief description of the vibe at the place, please.
Don't know why you rule out Vancouver for being too big. It has the same population as Portland or Austin, and it probably suits you the best. Vancouver is not big.

Sorry, Canada only have these three cities. You can forget others. They are either too boring or too fre8king cold, or both.

Vancouver will be a great city for me if it had twice the population in the city proper and a lot more jobs.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
OP is talking about Austin and Portland, you are talking about Nelson, which I have never heard of.. checked population, 10,000. It is a small town, not a small city.

Victoria is an isolated old people's town. It has no vibe, no energy, no art. Forget it. It has Canada's 3rd oldest population with almost 20% over 65 years old.
Oh yes I remember your classification of cities.. 10000 is a small town. 1 million a town. 2.5 million is a small city. 6.5 million medium city and Shanghai just right

Old 04-08-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh yes I remember your classification of cities.. 10000 is a small town. 1 million a town. 2.5 million is a small city. 6.5 million medium city and Shanghai just right
Depends on where.

In North America, 1 million starts to look like a real city. Under that it's just a town. 5 million is somewhat big and 10 million is perfect.

In Europe, 300,000 makes a city, 1 million looks kind of big and 3 million is perfect.

10,000 is basically a rounding error and you can't expect anything urban or interesting. Applies anywhere. Shanghai is always too big. (Where did I ever say it's perfect?)

Old 04-08-2017, 04:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Victoria is probably the best choice to be honest. If not that city, then smaller centres like Squamish, Gibsons, Ganges, or Nelson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada