Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I am pro-life and VERY pro birth control. It should be handed out like candy.

In the early 70's I was in a Physiology class that had a fetus in a jar....for every week in the pregnancy. There were about 40 jars in the classroom. The US Supreme Court, in their wisdom, picked 20 weeks. I suspect when they made their decision they were not looking at jars in a Physiology classroom.

That was enough to make me pro-life.

It is a difficult decision....15 years later after two miss-carriages due to genetic defects we were faced with the decision doing genetic testing and aborting if necessary. Me, as pro-life, was ready to do the testing and abort. My wife, pro-choice, absolutely refused to do the testing or even consider aborting.

When it came to making a decision....we switched sides. It is a horrible decision to face. Abortion stays with you for life. Those what if decisions always come back to haunt you.

It is not a decision about "ideology and other distractive propaganda" but one that cuts to the core of human values. That is what makes it so difficult.

The alternative to abortion is birth control. There are very few people that object to birth control. Instead of focusing on abortion it should be much more productive to focus on birth control.

That is the alternative to abortion. I would make it free and easily available. Maybe the debate needs to be shifted to birth control and its availability.
I think you are confusing pro-life for your own body/baby and pro-life for other women's body/baby.

In general, pro-life is about the latter - in that it deprives women of the right to make their own choices when it comes to such difficult decision.

If it is your own decision, no one cares. Do what your feel comfortable with.

Also I don't think it cuts to the core of human values - not so dramatic. One a woman becomes pregnant, she is NOT carrying another human being. This fetus has no feeling, not even the five senses. It just has the potential to develop into a human being. So no need to be so melodramatic.

Nobody denies birth control is far better than abortion, EVERYONE, so there is no point in arguing that. Which women would say, "I don't care getting pregnant, I could just have an abortion later since it is like brushin the teeth anway". When women have to choose whether to abort, obviously pills are not an option any more, are they?

The question is should a 20 year old girl in still in colleg should have the right to have abortion from stupidly getting pregnant. For me, the answer is a resounding YES. The "pro-life" people like you seem to think just because it is related to some "core value of human beings", just because you hate those tramatizing jars with bloody fetus, then you get to decision what others can or cannot do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 07:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
It should be mentioned that just because any given society promotes a pro-life agenda in its laws or public/institutional policy does not mean abortions will not take place. They will just go on in the closet and underground where the life of the woman is often compromised either by getting it done by a 'dirty' doctor or even self abortion techniques. I for one would rather it be done with the support of a Medical Doctor/Professionals at a recognised institution that will ensure the utmost of care.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
The definition of a human, or more importantly a person in this case, is a job best left to people, or moral and ethical systems, not to science. Science tell us what is and can inform the argument, but it can't give us our philosophies about the world. It says nothing of right and wrong, good and evil. That comes from our interpretation of what it tells us.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The definition of a human, or more importantly a person in this case, is a job best left to people, or moral and ethical systems, not to science. Science tell us what is and can inform the argument, but it can't give us our philosophies about the world. It says nothing of right and wrong, good and evil. That comes from our interpretation of what it tells us.
the problem is people have vastly different definition. I wouldn't consider a 7 month unborn child "human" with this and that right, let alone a 2 months fetus.

But you are right. Those who consider fetus humans can choose to do so and not abort, while those who don't subscribe the same view may choose to have abortation when they want. Neither should force their own interpretation upon others.

However, the reality is those "pro-life" guys are forcing their views on "pro-choice" ones, and never the other way around.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornpinkk View Post
There is no abortion law in Canada and there doesn't need to be. You have no right to tell a woman what to do with her body and it is none of your business. That was a deplorable thing for that flag to have been flown. This is not something I'd ever expect living here in 2017 Ontario. Something WAS going on in Ottawa that day, something absolutely crazy.

I have had three abortions in my life time and have no regrets. It was just like a routine procedure for me -nothing more. I did not care, it was like having a benign tumour taken out of me. I felt nothing, nothing for the fetus. I was on various forms of birth control but what you forget is that it and all it's other means and devices can fail from time to time. It's also hard to tolerate the side effects of birth control pills for me as they aggravate my migraine disorder.

I am 27 years old and NEVER want to have children. Ever.
Obviously nothing Is going to change regarding a woman's right to choose in this country and if she does choose she will receive the right support from our HC system. However, we can't just say everyone here is pro-choice and feels the same as we do. We do have conservative elements in this country and a sizable enough chunk of people who are every bit as conservative you would find in other western nations.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Obviously nothing Is going to change regarding a woman's right to choose in this country and if she does choose she will receive the right support from our HC system. However, we can't just say everyone here is pro-choice and feels the same as we do. We do have conservative elements in this country and a sizable enough chunk of people who are every bit as conservative you would find in other western nations.
may I repeat it is totally fine to feel different. One can feel as conservative as she wants, but she should apply this moral standard only to herself, and not use it to restrict other people's choices. That's the whole point.

A fetus is not a Canadian citizen so it should have no legal "rights". Its bearer (the mother) can choose to keep it or abort.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
may I repeat it is totally fine to feel different. One can feel as conservative as she wants, but she should apply this moral standard only to herself, and not use it to restrict other people's choices. That's the whole point.

A fetus is not a Canadian citizen so it should have no legal "rights". Its bearer (the mother) can choose to keep it or abort.
Yes of course - this is a public health concern and not about personal morality or values. No woman should be forced to have an abortion if it does not align with her values, even if the pregnancy threatens her life, it is her decision.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:16 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't think even the ost irresponsible young people will consider abortion as the primary birth control methods. I am a guy but I can still imagine the physical pain associated with an abortion, plus the emotional ones you just mentioned. Who would want it if it can be avoided? It is not exactly a spa treatment, and there may be risks and complications too.

Women get abortion because they are not ready to have this child, simple as that. And we should not force people to have children they didn't want.

And who the "rabid pro-choice" people? No one forces others to get an abortion. Even a rape-victim can choose the keep the unexpected baby if she wants. Pro-choice is about giving women the choice of having this baby or not. It is never about "you have to get an abortion". It is 100% up to the women to decide. It is about legally allowing the woman to do so, and not being morally judged as if she did something sinful.
There's no physical pain associated with abortion, and emotional pain only exists for those who were unsure of their decision.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:25 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
There's no physical pain associated with abortion, and emotional pain only exists for those who were unsure of their decision.
You're speaking on behalf of every female who has ever had an abortion? Have you had an abortion yourself?

Old 05-22-2017, 06:46 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
You're speaking on behalf of every female who has ever had an abortion? Have you had an abortion yourself?
Just the facts based on early pregnancy testing, and early abortion decision. I can't speak for people who wait 5-6 months to decide to abort - that's something altogether different. There's no physical pain because drugs are an option (short duration general anaesthetic), and obviously there's no emotional pain if the decision is sound. There's no post-abortion physical pain either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada