Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 12:47 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times

Advertisements

MSN's "news" site has suspended comments and is currently reviewing it's methods. Interestingly, as there we few comments worth reading, and lots, I mean lots, of nut comments. It got so bad I just looked for the same names, the "faux" facebook profiles, and moved quickly on.

So what's going to be the new standard? EVEN THOUGH City-Data uses profiles we get few of the whack job comments I see on MSN Canada and other Canadian News sites. CBC closes comments almost immediatlely on certain hot topics. I have to wonder what they're concerned about.

Any ideas on cleaning clock on the whack job commentary??? It appears the news outlets of concerned but not sure of solutions!!

Last edited by thedwightguy; 07-19-2017 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 PM

almost 100 views and not one comment??? A new rodeo record! Congrats, Canadians!!! THIMK!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Most comment sections are full of drivel anyways. Not just with MSN but pretty much every news source. The only way to have proper discussions is through message boards as there are far more stringent rules in place to keep things in check.
Message boards over comment sections any day.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:28 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
THIMK!
I'm thimking, I'm thimking!

Seriously, I've noticed a lot of MSM sites are shutting down their commentary functions, and I can guess why: because they're being inundated with "Woot! I agree!" comments; or "The author sucks" comments; neither of which do much to add to the discussion. Heck, as for that, there seems to be very little discussion about the issue at hand--it's just insults hurled at the other side. Why bother paying for comment hosting, when there are no comments, no real discussion, and just insults?

There was a day when, if you wished to comment, you had to take pen (or typewriter) to paper, write a coherent letter, put it in an envelope with a stamp, and mail it to the media outlet of your choice. If the editor liked your comment, it would be published; but if he didn't, it would not. Those days may be gone, but it doesn't mean that today's media outlet has to entertain your online-comment ideas, any more than it did in the old days. Far easier to just shut down online commentary.

You are free to still give your commentary to the media. "Letters to the Editor" can be made online; and you can still e-mail (or Twitter, or whatever) print/TV/radio media outlets. If you cannot comment via an online commentary function, you are not being shut up--you are simply being made to follow the protocols we "Letters to the Editor" writers had to follow, forty years ago.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:09 AM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Comment sections are sometimes more interesting than the articles themselves. Also they can prevent editors from promoting their political agenda. No wonder comment sections and forums are so popular.

Personally, I prefer to read articles / websites having comment sections vs sites not having one. Most of my friends do the same.

At the end of the day, MSN just shoots in the foot.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 AM

Canada specific, I've also noticed the speed the CBC shuts down commentary particularly on hot topics. Seems the usual agenda isn't always agreed with, but it seems to be a uniquely Canadian approach.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
MSN in the U.S. has also shut down their comments section.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:31 AM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Quote:
Canada specific, I've also noticed the speed the CBC shuts down commentary particularly on hot topics. Seems the usual agenda isn't always agreed with, but it seems to be a uniquely Canadian approach.
Actually, it is not only in Canada. I regularly read ynet.co.il (Israeli news portal in hebrew), they have very strong agenda and use to shut down comment sections for some of the articles. They had a facebook comment section before, but permanently shut it down (I think it is more difficult to post fake comments from facebook accounts).

Old 07-25-2017, 11:30 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:

...... Any ideas on cleaning clock on the whack job commentary??? It appears the news outlets of concerned but not sure of solutions!!

I think shutting down the comments sections IS the best solution and I approve of it. Providing the comments sections was a generous gesture but it was never a necessary thing. I'm sure the media outlets that provided comments sections never did it anticipating they might eventually be invaded and taken over by thousands of ignorant trolls who have nothing important or intelligent to say and just want to see their own drivel in print online. Even discussion forums like this one can be taken over and brought down by trolls if there aren't strict monitoring, censorship and posting protocols put in place.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'm thimking, I'm thimking!

Seriously, I've noticed a lot of MSM sites are shutting down their commentary functions, and I can guess why: because they're being inundated with "Woot! I agree!" comments; or "The author sucks" comments; neither of which do much to add to the discussion. Heck, as for that, there seems to be very little discussion about the issue at hand--it's just insults hurled at the other side. Why bother paying for comment hosting, when there are no comments, no real discussion, and just insults?

There was a day when, if you wished to comment, you had to take pen (or typewriter) to paper, write a coherent letter, put it in an envelope with a stamp, and mail it to the media outlet of your choice. If the editor liked your comment, it would be published; but if he didn't, it would not. Those days may be gone, but it doesn't mean that today's media outlet has to entertain your online-comment ideas, any more than it did in the old days. Far easier to just shut down online commentary.

You are free to still give your commentary to the media. "Letters to the Editor" can be made online; and you can still e-mail (or Twitter, or whatever) print/TV/radio media outlets. If you cannot comment via an online commentary function, you are not being shut up--you are simply being made to follow the protocols we "Letters to the Editor" writers had to follow, forty years ago.
Yes, yes, yes,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think shutting down the comments sections IS the best solution and I approve of it. Providing the comments sections was a generous gesture but it was never a necessary thing. I'm sure the media outlets that provided comments sections never did it anticipating they might eventually be invaded and taken over by thousands of ignorant trolls who have nothing important or intelligent to say and just want to see their own drivel in print online. Even discussion forums like this one can be taken over and brought down by trolls if there aren't strict monitoring, censorship and posting protocols put in place.

and more yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada