Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times

Advertisements

I don't always agree with Justin, but I like that he tries to convince us to listen to the better angels of our nature. He doesn't just do the most popular thing, but leads in a principled way. There have been times I disagreed with him, and with some time passing realized he was right (not in all cases of course). He has handled alot more right then he has wrong in my book, and where I disagree with him, he always has at least a well thought out, defensible position for why he is doing something. His heart is basically in the right place, and I think he cares about this country as a country. I didn't like how Harper used the word taxpayer instead of citizen and often framed Canada like a corporation that we happened to be shareholders of. Likewise, I often fear the federal NDP are overly partisan and wearing the blinders of ideology, which makes them inflexible (individuals notwithstanding). I ultimately respect and value the contributions of parliamentarians from all our parties, and there are parliamentarians I dislike in all the parties too. My vote is never a given and I could see voting for a candidate from any of the four parties in 2019, but baring a very distasteful candidate for MP in my riding, I will probably vote for the Liberal candidate again in the next federal election as they present the strongest option for good government according to my values at this time. They have governed well so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 06:52 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Fans? I don’t think Canadians view their politicians like rock stars.
Well our President is finally putting America first again. What's your P.M.'s objectives for Canada, and its occupants? For the record, most Americans don't view politicians as movie, or rock stars, although Reagan was one, but we view them as a necessary evil, as many of us view government. It is something to be minimized. I don't need, nor want to be governed.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:53 PM

295 posts, read 264,047 times
Justin "peoplekind" Trudeau? Haha

Old 02-07-2018, 07:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Justin "peoplekind" Trudeau? Haha
People are making such a big deal about this... Fact is it was probably a man who coined the term 'mankind' and it is inherently sexist if you think about it. I know even some women would say well what is the big deal and Trudeau is being over the top but it is that type of thinking that leads to inequality issues, even on a subconscious level. Does 'womankind' seem odd and offensive?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:13 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Well our President is finally putting America first again. What's your P.M.'s objectives for Canada, and its occupants? For the record, most Americans don't view politicians as movie, or rock stars, although Reagan was one, but we view them as a necessary evil, as many of us view government. It is something to be minimized. I don't need, nor want to be governed.
But that's a terrible way to view government. If it's a necessary evil then there's something wrong with society somewhere. We should strive to have great politicians, not some "less bad ones".

Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
But that's a terrible way to view government. If it's a necessary evil then there's something wrong with society somewhere. We should strive to have great politicians, not some "less bad ones".
I also question the notion that Trump is putting 'America' First again. In some ways and in the short term it may seem that way but over the long haul it can actually be the opposite. I also think someone should tell Trump that he is a human being who lives on earth and that when viewed from outer space, national boundaries are quite irrelevant so the man is in dire need of a more global perspective. Something I have no hope he will develop therefore I will wait for the next administration for any hope of some positive change in American policy.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I also question the notion that Trump is putting 'America' First again. In some ways and in the short term it may seem that way but over the long haul it can actually be the opposite. I also think someone should tell Trump that he is a human being who lives on earth and that when viewed from outer space, national boundaries are quite irrelevant so the man is in dire need of a more global perspective. Something I have no hope he will develop therefore I will wait for the next administration for any hope of some positive change in American policy.
His America First charade is at best silly. Wanting to help American workers is understandable, but not when you pull out of long standing treaties.
What was the point of leaving the Paris accords? Now the US is the only one left out of the loop.
Or the TPP for that matter?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I agree.. Canadian's are unlike Americans in that they see a leader as"Rock Star". When travelling abroad, they see he is younger/handsome and has a beautiful wife.. MOST have zero recollection of his "Father's" legacy and what ensued during that tenure.

The more I watch Justin T... The more I see his mother's traits... Us Canadians ( at my age) know full well how she was treated BACK in the late '60's!! Martial Law was viewed seriously and I among most suffered it personally!!

Justin is not perfect.. BUT he will heartily will try to do his very best to find solutions. Something far different than south of 49th > as That seems tonewise> MY WAY or the HIGHWAY 'tude!!

No leader is perfect.. however at least Justin is NOT trying to demean others.. debase other branches/Provincial inputs.. Sure he does have a temper.. BUT he sure is NOTHING (close) like what I am viewing daily ( minute by minute) .. PLUS SOUTH the Fed. Congress are actually sanctioning it!!!

It's amazing to watch.. BUT it validates Germany's comments last year>> " WE ARE ONOUR OWN.. USA cannot be counted on!! Meanwhile.. China takes advantage.. Canada makes trade deals and US will end uo losing the war in trade!!

Justin Trudeau is doing pretty well.. BUT of course previous Government ( Harper) put him behind an 8 Ball.. refusing to deal with Asian markets.. BUT he's making headway. ROCK STAR/Fans?? Only in American views!! In Canada.. Politicians are never viewed as a "FANbase!! ONLY in America LOL
Ahh so sad, can't keep America out of at least one of these threads?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
People are making such a big deal about this... Fact is it was probably a man who coined the term 'mankind' and it is inherently sexist if you think about it. I know even some women would say well what is the big deal and Trudeau is being over the top but it is that type of thinking that leads to inequality issues, even on a subconscious level. Does 'womankind' seem odd and offensive?
Seriously,

It's all over facebook and people are making dumb memes about it, yea he could of said "humankind" but who cares? at least he goes out of his way to not offend people instead of some people who try so hard to express how non-politically correct they are.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Seriously,

It's all over facebook and people are making dumb memes about it, yea he could of said "humankind" but who cares? at least he goes out of his way to not offend people instead of some people who try so hard to express how non-politically correct they are.
Everyone is missing the point. Peoplekind is over the top and when I heard I thought "what was he thinking?" Turn out IT WAS A JOKE. He was trying t be funny by being over the top. That definitely fits his personality. He is always making stupid jokes, and they often miss the mark. Like that falling down the stairs bit? Or the joke about the Russians just being mad about losing at hockey as regards Ukraine (way before the government even fell there, let alone the actual conflict with Russia breaking out)? He makes dumb jokes, he's not being serious with that, but it's fun to attack someone seen as socially progressive if you oppose that agenda by equating "peoplekind" to the rest of his fairly mainstream progressive agenda on social issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada