Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 21,398 times

Advertisements

Hi guys , I am new to this forum and this is the first time me posting here. I am seriously interested in moving to alberta ( Edmonton or Calgary ) from Toronto. I'd appreciate if I can have all sort of basic info. ( Rent, salaries, local traveling, ) regarding moving from somebody who is living in one of these two places.
I'll appreciate all the replies.
Thanks & have a good day !!!
Rajuuu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 07:45 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Perhaps if you could refine your question by mentioning a specific area of Alberta? It's a big place, after all.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 PM

19 posts, read 132,168 times
Don't. Why come here?

The promises of more money are not real, and the inflation in Calgary is obscene. Some pubs can charge as much as 8 dollars for a beer. There are lots of crap jobs in construction and tim hortons is hiring, but otherwise you'll have to grind your way in at some jeans-wearing hick Calgary outfit. Its a cold winter-warzone for a lot of the year, housing prices are inflated heavily and it's SO uncultured you'll go crazy. From what you are probably used to in the Toronto metro area, you will definitely be disappointed with Calgary, a town that is trying so desperately hard to be cosmo and still not quite there yet. The police are everywhere, it feels like a military communist state, and the traffic is horrendous. Obviously, I don't recommend it.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 PM

39 posts, read 287,971 times
I've never lived in Calgary, but I can give you a little info about Edmonton. Rents are an issue here, because with the oil boom, rent increases are becoming a little ridiculous. There's been talk of rent protection, but the conservative gov't is unlikely to go there. We moved here two years ago and live in a nice downtown 2 bedroom apartment. Our rent has increased twice since arriving and is now 40% higher than it was last year. Having said that - if you're accustomed to Toronto rents, you'll probably not be as shocked as the rest of us. Salaries in white collar fields tend to be similar to Ontario. The oil boys make a killing...my brother takes home $11,000/month roughnecking (but it's a filthy, dangerous, never-home kind of job, so more power to him). As the poster above mentioned - the winter is freezing and lasts forever, and there is not nearly as much to do as some other places. I find Edmonton far from everywhere in terms of travel - Calgary is 3 hours away, the rockies are 4-5 hours away, and in all other directions are straight roads leading to more prairies. Having said all of that, Edmonton is not nearly as redneck as people are led to believe, the people are friendly, the city is beautiful through the summer and fall and the economy is on fire.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:15 PM

215 posts, read 1,660,161 times
I've actually heard of people doing the opposite - leaving Alberta.

You asked about Rent and Sallary. The reality is that the two are the same as in Toronto when done in a ratio
(huh?)
for example. Lets make this an easy comparison. Rent is done monthly and jobs usually hourly. Lets do all of this monthly. Lets say that you'd make $2500 at a certain job in Toronto and pay $1000 rent at a certain room. That same job could get you $3000 in Calgary, but renting the same room might be $1500. Therefore even if you are literally making more money, it's all being eaten up by your rent. The only thing you actually get out of your higher cash flow is the oppertunity to pay more taxes.

That's not to say there is no oppertunity in Alberta. There are certain jobs that WILL pay you more then what the rent will eat up - but these are jobs in the oil field. If your willing to physically work hard (as one person put it - to make your body hurt) then you will rake it in.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 PM

21 posts, read 121,742 times
OK one question - WHY???

Old 04-05-2008, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 21,398 times
Thanxs guys, after reading I feel not to move. Probably I'm good where I am.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 9,774 times
Hello I wanna move to Alberta from Toronto. I want an advice. How is the job market over there? whoever live there can u help me on that?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veenu View Post
Hello I wanna move to Alberta from Toronto. I want an advice. How is the job market over there? whoever live there can u help me on that?
The job market in Alberta is falling fast. The boom is done and the costs are very high. Think $5 for 4 apples at the grocery as an example...

Don't come here unless you have family with money or a business here already.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:12 PM

136 posts, read 893,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Think $5 for 4 apples at the grocery as an example...
I just bought a 5 pound bag of really good red delicious apples at Safeway yesterday for $4.99. Don't believe everything you read in the paper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada