Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:17 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

I will be driving to Dawson from Mississippi.

I have lots of experience traveling, but I have never been up to that neck of the woods. Don't really know what to expect.

The route guide has me going straight up through Minnesota to Manitoba and then NW through the provinces to Yukon.
I have the truck outfitted so that I can live in it for a couple of days at a time, so finding lodging isn't a big issue - if I don't find anything, that's fine. But it's just a pickup with a cap. A couple of days is long enough for me.

Anyone made a trip through that area, and can you tell me what to expect. Just your general thoughts would be helpful.
I'm retired and have no particular reason for going. Just something I want to do. Might push on to take my picture at the arctic circle if I feel confident.

FYI: 1990 4X4 GMC truck, but it's not modified in any way. Just stock.

Thanks...

Last edited by Listener2307; 03-27-2018 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Extra gas, extra tires, a couple of extra belts, a camping container of drinking water just in case, and a sense of adventure.

It depends if you're going the Alaska Highway or the Stewart/Cassiar as to how "prepared" you should be. Alaska highway is shorter, and more improved from Fort Nelson.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:36 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Wow!!! Good luck and have fun! That sounds like an amazing trip!

Take lots of beer with you LOL.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:43 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Hopefully you're are doing this in summer?

You can check historical weather for Dawson here, if you haven't already done so.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...-city/historic

My second thought is will you have any firearms, such as a hunting rifle? If so you should read this about bringing it legally into Canada. Note this link is about firearms that aren't restricted, so no handguns.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Also at the border, customs and immigration guards don't like people without concrete plans. I wouldn't say ' oh, I just plan on driving around making my way to Dawson City, see what I find etc ". Have some idea of where you plan to stop, even roughly, in case they ask. Know how long you plan on being in Canada, within a few days etc.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:22 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Also at the border, customs and immigration guards don't like people without concrete plans. I wouldn't say ' oh, I just plan on driving around making my way to Dawson City, see what I find etc ". Have some idea of where you plan to stop, even roughly, in case they ask. Know how long you plan on being in Canada, within a few days etc.
Good advice. When I drive across to visit family or friends, I am always bombarded with questions such as addresses... I don't know any of their addresses off hand, and it normally leads to prolonged questioning, which is a nuisance. Better to have a concrete plan, even if part of it is made up.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:42 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I have driven the highway from Whitehorse to Inuvik a couple of years ago. The road from Whitehorse to Dawson is paved with several small towns to get gas and snacks every 200 km or so. It is about a 6-7 hour drive in total. It will definitely be more isolated than you are used to but in the summer sees a reasonable amount of traffic. If you are properly prepared with an emergency kit (blanket, flashlight, batteries, food, water, first aid kit) and a spare tire or two, mosquito repellant and bear spray and you should be fine. Cell coverage only works in the towns and immediate surrounding so don't count on that if you break down. Beautiful drive though and you should enjoy yourself

Old 03-28-2018, 11:05 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I will be driving to Dawson from Mississippi.

I have lots of experience traveling, but I have never been up to that neck of the woods. Don't really know what to expect.

The route guide has me going straight up through Minnesota to Manitoba and then NW through the provinces to Yukon.
I have the truck outfitted so that I can live in it for a couple of days at a time, so finding lodging isn't a big issue - if I don't find anything, that's fine. But it's just a pickup with a cap. A couple of days is long enough for me.

You didn't say what time of year you're planning on making this trip. This is really very important.

Pretend you are going to be roughing it in the woods for a few days anyway and bring appropriate clothing and equipment for that for just in case you need it.

Bring:
-bear repellent spray, the strong stuff for big bears, not dogs (remember you can not bring your guns into Canada)
-lots of mosquito/black fly/tick repellant - both lotion and spray type
-first aid kit
-extra blankets besides a sleeping bag
-extra water for yourself and in case you need it for the radiator and especially the windshield
- a little camp stove if you have one for just in case you need it to boil water or heat food

-If you'll be keeping any non-canned food in the truck make sure it's locked up as tight as can be and cannot be smelled by any bears within 5 - 10 miles of your parked vehicle. Yes, 5 - 10 miles is the olfactory range for black bears, 10 - 20 for brown bears, and 20 - 40 miles for polar bears.

- do not approach any moose or other wildlife you may see by the road or elsewhere. They will attack you or your vehicle if you approach.

-Be aware of alternative routes in the event you need to evacuate a given area or route because of a sudden wildfire flaring up. Familiarize yourself with wildfire protocols and preventions before you enter Canada.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:32 PM

Several helpful comments. Thanks

In general:
*I don't carry any sort of firearm with me.
*I carry freeze dried camper type food with me as well as a back-packer type stove to heat it up. I sleep in the CamperCap, but I do have an SUV tent for when I want to stay more than overnight. Gives me a place to change clothes and wash up.
*I carry 5 gallons of water.
*5 gallon gas can for extra gas.
*Winter??!! No thanks. This is a trip for July, August. But I had forgotten about the legendary mosquitoes. Thanks.
* Most of my remote wandering has been in the SW desert. This is kind of a new thing for me. AK is the only state I have not been to; I have visited both coasts of Canada, but not the interior.
*Tires. I have a spare, of course. But I also have a repair kit. The only time I used my repair kit I was able to repair the tire without even removing it. I use AT tires.
* I had forgotten that about moose charging! I drove a truck for a while and one trip up to Canada one of the Canadian drivers warned me, "For God's sake don't blow your horn at them!"

* It's about 4000 miles for me. I'll be going up through Minnesota, and probably return through Bellingham; the distance is almost the same. I don't drive fast, so it'll be 10 days up, a couple days for turnaround, and 10 days back. A little longer if I want to brave that road up to the arctic circle. Truth is, I might enjoy visiting in Dawson and not go further north; I'm kind of a history buff.
Wife might fly up and catch me in Whitehorse.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:37 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Don't forget to kiss the toe when you're in Dawson.

Sounds like you're pretty set. I'd recommend one of those mosquito net hats for your head/neck. It's not just mosquitos, but the blackflies, and those suckers hurt. Plus then you don't have to smell that super deet repellent all the time too.

http://www.militaryclothing.com/boon...ad=10410813794

Old 03-28-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Don't forget to kiss the toe when you're in Dawson.

Sounds like you're pretty set. I'd recommend one of those mosquito net hats for your head/neck. It's not just mosquitos, but the blackflies, and those suckers hurt. Plus then you don't have to smell that super deet repellent all the time too.

http://www.militaryclothing.com/boon...ad=10410813794
I absolutely WILL NOT! (I don't think) I actually had to look it up to see what you are talking about.
I usually drink Chivas Regal. If someone puts a toe in it I will probably pass.
But I do like to have fun, so ya never know................

'Preciate the comment about blackflies. I would have overlooked that, too. It's funny what travelers miss.
But then if you were visiting down here, I'd have to teach you all about avoiding rattlesnakes and alligators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada