Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 03:27 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We're everywhere. You can't escape us.
Oh mon dieu, quelle horeur!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 03:30 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Oh mon dieu, quelle horeur!!!
C'est la vie.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:31 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
So I guess French Canadians are more common in west Canada than Italian Americans in the Mississippi Delta.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:37 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
So I guess French Canadians are more common in west Canada than Italian Americans in the Mississippi Delta.
On that I have no idea.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
See the French area in the link to bloc settlements. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_settlement

Like Acajack said - they're everywhere.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:25 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I found these stats! Pretty dated though, from the 2000 census. Said there are 40K Italian-Americans in Mississippi, or 1.4% of the state.

Italian American Populations in All 50 States | The National Italian American Foundation

Researching says that the 2012 census showed BC was 1.6% native French speakers, Alberta 2.2%, Saskatchewan was 1.9%, Manitoba 3.8%, Yukon 4.8%, and North West Territories 2.9%. So more common, but not much more. Of course, that's just actual mother tongue Francophones, not ethnically French people who have been anglicized, even if they speak French as a second language they would not be counted. These would all be much larger percentages of the population out west. These are fairly non-French areas in a Canadian context but you'd still get lots of old rural Anglo families out in places like coastal BC with names like Dagenais and Langlois.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:26 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
This looks like a nice town, which a church big enough for the whole town to attend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_g8sOtmRg

I saw on another YouTube video that the school in the old Gravelbourg convent was closed and the town got the building. Maybe the school moved to a different location.

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 03-29-2018 at 06:35 PM..

Old 03-29-2018, 06:43 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Don't forget PM Trudeau went to university in Vancouver and was once a French instructor there for several years before going into public office. And who can forget Lucille Starr (Lucille Savoie), the wonderful singer of "Quand Le Soleil Dit Bonjour Aux Montagnes" known commonly as The French Song? The song was so well known that my father kept a recording of it even though none of us could understand any of the French verses. Funny, my father thought Lucille sounded like Francois Hardy all that time!

Old 03-30-2018, 02:59 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
A colleague of mine is Franco-Ontarian, and he is married to a Montreal woman. They both live in Edmonton, and speak French between themselves. My colleague is perfectly capable of handling himself in court in French, should it become necessary--both French and English are allowed in every court in Canada.

Southeast of Edmonton is the town of Beaumont, which is predominantly French-speaking.

Mouldy, do you really believe that there are no French-speakers in western Canada? Heck, I had to go to the local Service Canada office today, and was greeted in both French and English. I spoke English with the clerk, but I have no doubt that she could have handled herself in French, should I have chosen that language.

As an aside, Mouldy, why are you so fascinated by French in Canada? Most of your questions have to do with the French language in Canada somehow, or with Quebec, where French is spoken. I'm just curious, why the interest in French and Quebec?

Old 03-30-2018, 05:48 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
A colleague of mine is Franco-Ontarian, and he is married to a Montreal woman. They both live in Edmonton, and speak French between themselves. My colleague is perfectly capable of handling himself in court in French, should it become necessary--both French and English are allowed in every court in Canada.

Southeast of Edmonton is the town of Beaumont, which is predominantly French-speaking.

Mouldy, do you really believe that there are no French-speakers in western Canada? Heck, I had to go to the local Service Canada office today, and was greeted in both French and English. I spoke English with the clerk, but I have no doubt that she could have handled herself in French, should I have chosen that language.

As an aside, Mouldy, why are you so fascinated by French in Canada? Most of your questions have to do with the French language in Canada somehow, or with Quebec, where French is spoken. I'm just curious, why the interest in French and Quebec?
He lives near Louisiana....maybe he has some french roots?

French in western Canada.....how about the town of Bienfait, Saskatchewan near Estevan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada