Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 05:59 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times

Advertisements

Is there any place in Canada where there is a noticeable population of Mexican immigrants or people of Mexican descent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 06:51 PM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
The population is tiny. According to the 2016 Canada Census, number of immigrants from Mexico living in Canada were:

British Columbia: 10,375
Alberta: 15,665
Saskatchewan: 1,330
Manitoba: 6,650
Ontario: 30,080 (11,390 of that in Toronto)
Quebec: 15,815
Nova Scotia: 330
New Brunswick - 160
P.E.I.: 20
Newfoundland: 90

Province or territory

Old 04-15-2018, 08:06 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
^^I wonder how many of them are Mennonites. Presumably they are included in the statistics? I always understood they were concentrated in the Winkler/Morden/south-western Red River area although there are a lot here too. In the first paragraph, this article has some statistics. http://jms.uwinnipeg.ca/index.php/jm...nload/995/994/

They have long-standing ties to Canada and immigrated from Canada to Mexico originally and there is a lot of back and forth movement of these Kanadier as the descendants of the 1874 immigration from Russia to Canada are known within the Mennoniite community (the later refugees are known as Russlaender, again, within the community/I].

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/...ing-once-more/

Old 04-15-2018, 10:58 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
^^I wonder how many of them are Mennonites. Presumably they are included in the statistics? I always understood they were concentrated in the Winkler/Morden/south-western Red River area....
They are here in Alberta too, and are often seen on the streets of southern Alberta towns and cities. I have represented them professionally before, and they are nice people and good clients; but it seems a little weird to hear them speak of their relatives back in Mexico, where they were born; when they have an unmistakable German name and German accent.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
They are here in Alberta too, and are often seen on the streets of southern Alberta towns and cities. I have represented them professionally before, and they are nice people and good clients; but it seems a little weird to hear them speak of their relatives back in Mexico, where they were born; when they have an unmistakable German name and German accent.
Do they also speak Spanish?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:55 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
^^I wonder how many of them are Mennonites. Presumably they are included in the statistics? I always understood they were concentrated in the Winkler/Morden/south-western Red River area although there are a lot here too. In the first paragraph, this article has some statistics. http://jms.uwinnipeg.ca/index.php/jm...nload/995/994/

They have long-standing ties to Canada and immigrated from Canada to Mexico originally and there is a lot of back and forth movement of these Kanadier as the descendants of the 1874 immigration from Russia to Canada are known within the Mennoniite community (the later refugees are known as Russlaender, again, within the community/I].

Mennonites in Mexico looking for new home, again - Macleans.ca
I have to drive down to Morden and Winkler every few weeks. I was surprused to see several Mexican business down there. Though I have to say I don't think many of the Mexican I met were Mennonite. The one or two Mennoites i did meet from Mexico did not speak Spanish. I met a few Mennonites from South American countries aswell. There is a lot of Mexicans and Cemtral Americans in Brandon. I rarely ever run into Mexicans or Central Americans here in Winnipeg.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 AM

In post #2 I posted a link to a provincial breakdown of immigrant population by country of birth. Statistics Canada also has a similar breakdown by city/town which is rather interesting:

Census metropolitan areas and census agglomerations

Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide data for tiny towns or rural areas.

In Manitoba, it only provides data for 6 locations. Here’s the data for immigrants born in Mexico:

Winnipeg - 805
Brandon - 90
Portage La Prairie - 10
Winkler - 2,850 (total population of Winkler is only 12,591)
Steinbach - 320
Thompson - 0

That adds up to 4,075, meaning that the other 2,575 Mexican immigrants in Manitoba are living in very small towns or rural areas.

The Statistics Canada tables, including the provincial tables, also list when the immigrants from specific countries came to Canada.

Last edited by cdnirene; 04-16-2018 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 09:24 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
In post #2 I posted a link to a provincial breakdown of immigrant population by country of birth. Statistics Canada also has a similar breakdown by city/town which is rather interesting:

Census metropolitan areas and census agglomerations

Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide data for tiny towns or rural areas.

In Manitoba, it only provides data for 6 locations. Here’s the data for immigrants born in Mexico:

Winnipeg - 805
Brandon - 90
Portage La Prairie - 10
Winkler - 2,850 (total population of Winkler is only 12,591)
Steinbach - 320
Thompson - 0

That adds up to 4,075, meaning that the other 2,575 Mexican immigrants in Manitoba are living in very small towns or rural areas.

The Statistics Canada tables, including the provincial tables, also list when the immigrants from specific countries came to Canada.
The highlighted is quite interesting.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The highlighted is quite interesting.
The second highest immigrant group in Winkler totalled 1,560 and was born in Germany. Perhaps the attraction to the area was Mennonites from Mexico, and their descendants, who spoke German? (The Statistics Canada immigrant data does not include descendants.)

Old 04-16-2018, 09:52 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have to drive down to Morden and Winkler every few weeks. I was surprused to see several Mexican business down there. Though I have to say I don't think many of the Mexican I met were Mennonite. The one or two Mennoites i did meet from Mexico did not speak Spanish. I met a few Mennonites from South American countries aswell. There is a lot of Mexicans and Cemtral Americans in Brandon. I rarely ever run into Mexicans or Central Americans here in Winnipeg.
That wouldn't necessarily be surprising. They had German schools until quite recently and i was under the impression that a lot did not speak Spanish. The language that not just the Mexican Mennonites use every day, but also the other Central and South American Mennonites is Low German not Spanish. When they immigrate here their default language is Low German. I know where they are from by their accent.

Mennonites tend to take care of their own in more ways than one. Mexican Mennonites had a reputation for being uneducated in more ways than one and if I remember correctly, about 25 years ago there was a push among the Canadian Mennonites to "do something" about it. There were a lot of Canadian Mennonites going there to promote healthier life choices, such as continuing on in school.

And just as the 1920s refugees will forever be known among Kanadier Mennonites as Russlaender, so will the descendants of Mexican Mennonite immigrants forever be known among the North American Mennonites as "Mexican."

We were in Chihuahua about 25 years ago.

Colonists in Mexico: a misunderstood people | Mennonite World Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada