Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 07:35 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,499,914 times

Advertisements

One thing that I found interesting though is that Canadians who leave comments on Yahoo Canada have a different take from this crowd. Almost anything related to Trudeau gets down voted over there. I heard some people say that they are not surprised at Trump's remarks concerning Canada being a security threat, given Trudeau's past actions.

Why such discrepancy between the two sites? I was surprised by it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 07:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It funny...that down in the states we notice how much of our industry has been taken over by Canadian companies. BUT Canadian wines still suck....I have NEVER noticed a Canadian wine reviewed in any of the wine publications.

On a serious note...Trump made a joke about the Canadians burning the White House in the War of 1812. And then Christine (Canadian foreign government representative) made a comment about the US not trusting Canada.

I was living in Canada in the fall of 1973 when the Arabs imposed the oil embargo on the US. What most people missed was that the original embargo INCLUDED Canada. Now Canada is a more mature country than they were in 1973, but Canada scrambled real fast to disassociate themselves from the United States. Eastern Canada was dependent on Arab oil. The only way to get Alberta oil to Ontario was through Chicago!!

Anyway, the Canadians did get the embargo lifted fairly quickly. BUT if the US really needed Alberta oil to continue being a world power????.....don't you think there would have been a 51st star on the star and stripes fairly soon??

Both Hawaii and Alaska became states due to the world situation in the 1950's. Would Alberta been next in 1973??

Steel and aluminum are both critical to US national security as well as oil. Trust me...you do not want to be next to a super power and have them dependent on YOU for their natural resources. Your going to be Crimea in the Ukraine.....until your not.

With all due respect to Christine...sorry I missed her last name. You want the US independent in steel, aluminum, oil, and other resources that Canada supplies that are US national security needs. That is the best bet for Canada to remain an independent country.

A couple of closing notes. Is Trudeau really the son of Mick Jagger?? In an interview in Meet the Press Today he compared Canada to a "mellow moose" laying next to an elephant. Did he grow up in Canada?? Does he know how cranky a moose is?? Is he that clueless when it comes to nature??

On a second note...you guys need to be nicer to Alberta. I would oppose union with Canada. The two countries are very different and I really don't want Canada in the US...Mexico is a better match. BUT, I notice the BC Premier dissing Alberta and the pipeline to the coast. In 1973, I was stunned at how badly Canada treated Alberta and it seems to continue to today.

Hey, I would make an exception for Alberta. They can have that 51st star on the flag.
Whenever an American complains about another country taking over it's industries, the rest of the world laughs.
Why? Oh maybe because the US has so many companies around the world itself?
Thanks for the giggle.

As for wine. You can like or not like whatever you want, but get real. First off, Canadian wine production is consumed mainly by Canadians. However we do export, just not enough to have them really well known in the world.

Which leads us to your other ridiculous assumption that they must stink because YOU have never notice a Canadian wine review. Well pay attention, they are there. I already gave a link to Decanter Magazine for you. There are many others, but obviously less than Australia, France etc, because of lower availability to readers. This is not an indication of quality.

I suggest you back and read post #70.

As for the BC Premier dissing anyone, wrong. Read Notley's remarks compared to how Horgan responds. It was Alberta that went all ballistic threatening to boycott wine, and turn off the taps etc.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
One thing that I found interesting though is that Canadians who leave comments on Yahoo Canada have a different take from this crowd. Almost anything related to Trudeau gets down voted over there. I heard some people say that they are not surprised at Trump's remarks concerning Canada being a security threat, given Trudeau's past actions.

The Russians have gotten to Yahoo first?

What possible actions has Trudeau done in their minds, to think that he has made Canada a security threat to the US? If it's that Castro comment, these people need to get a life.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:49 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:

I jumped over to the site and read the first article re: summit and the first 100 or so comments. Looks the same as here.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The Russians have gotten to Yahoo first?

What possible actions has Trudeau done in their minds, to think that he has made Canada a security threat to the US? If it's that Castro comment, these people need to get a life.
It was mostly in relation to the $10.5 million payment he made to Omar Khadr.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:

Around here, in rural right-wing, Bble belt Manitoba, people do not vote Lberal and wouldn't like Trudeau, gay marriage or abortion. And there is an element of liking the part of Trump that appeals to the lowest common denominator, imo, because rural Bible-believing people are tired of being thought ignorant/and often they are not educated and going low instead of high makes them feel better about themselves. But there are no rural people who would support Trump in this trade war. Not liking Trudeau doesn't necessarily equate to liking Trump.

Some attitudes may be regional depending on the issues. I don't think Quebeckers would be in favour of Trump considering the dairy industry there. Ontario just elected Ford, so maybe there is some other element at play there.

Not sure what you mean by Trudeau's past actions. People around here are conservative but they aren't the vocal kind of American conservative. While they might be against certain things, they aren't preoccupied by it. And that may be because, as in the example of dairy farming, farmers here are not desperate. When people see a large gap between the haves and have nots, they want to blame someone, anyone, and the good old days, when men were men and sheep were scared, to quote someone I know, start looking better.

I doubt the people leaving comments are farmers or people who have a clue about just what the agricultural issues are.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Around here, in rural right-wing, Bble belt Manitoba, people do not vote Lberal and wouldn't like Trudeau, gay marriage or abortion. And there is an element of liking the part of Trump that appeals to the lowest common denominator, imo, because rural Bible-believing people are tired of being thought ignorant/and often they are not educated and going low instead of high makes them feel better about themselves. But there are no rural people who would support Trump in this trade war. Not liking Trudeau doesn't necessarily equate to liking Trump.

Some attitudes may be regional depending on the issues. I don't think Quebeckers would be in favour of Trump considering the dairy industry there. Ontario just elected Ford, so maybe there is some other element at play there.

Not sure what you mean by Trudeau's past actions. People around here are conservative but they aren't the vocal kind of American conservative. While they might be against certain things, they aren't preoccupied by it. And that may be because, as in the example of dairy farming, farmers here are not desperate. When people see a large gap between the haves and have nots, they want to blame someone, anyone, and the good old days, when men were men and sheep were scared, to quote someone I know, start looking better.

I doubt the people leaving comments are farmers or people who have a clue about just what the agricultural issues are.
That's an excellent explanation. It wouldn't make any sense for Canadians to back Trump on this regardless of how they feel about Trudeau, given that it will have a negative impact on them.

Trudeau's past actions mostly relates to the whole Omar debacle. Not my words, as I'm just going by what I read. I don't usually go to Yahoo, but decided to pop in to have a look. Even if Trudeau's behavior was perceived as offensive, it still doesn't justify Trump punishing Canadian industry in response.

Trump isn't a rationale player. Most of his decisions are carried out by impulse. I admit to liking part of his direct approach, but on these tariffs he is firmly wrong. The US has been running a surplus with Canada.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:27 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
I was curious what Rebel Media, Canada’s equivalent to Breitbart, would have to say about the Trump/Trudeau situation. Answer: Nothing at all. I could find no article about it at all on the home page.

Regarding Yahoo, unless a poster states they are Canadian, they may not be.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:33 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
To Americans, if the price of Canadian goods goes up, American goods will get more expensive, too.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I was curious what Rebel Media, Canada’s equivalent to Breitbart, would have to say about the Trump/Trudeau situation. Answer: Nothing at all. I could find no article about it at all on the home page.

Regarding Yahoo, unless a poster states they are Canadian, they may not be.
I was on the Yahoo Canada page. Since most posters we're talking about how embarrassed they were of their current PM, I think it's safe to assume they are Canadian. Of course, since everyone is anonymous on these news articles or forums, it would be very difficult to truly now where they are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada