Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gre...mbia-1.4739459https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gre...mbia-1.4739459

It looks like all routes in Alberta are cancelled, in Sask and MB, but not in N. BC.
Apparently Greyhound lobbied provincial governments for funding to stay operating but got nothing. Now smaller off-main-road communities are stuck. The bus is a crucial lifeline to many residents going to and from small towns and villages and linking them with opportunities in the larger centers and life between small ones. Where there is no airport courier service is limited.
In my business career I used Greyhound courier to ship goods to small towns. Very reliable and cost effective.
I use the route between Edmonton and Grande Prairie as alt to taking $300+/one way airfares for the same trip. There are brief stops in several communities along the way when cargo is unloaded/loaded and passengers debark/embark.

What can we do from here? How can people travel if they don't have this service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
It won't be running in northern BC, or elsewhere in BC either, not counting a corner of the lower mainland. The only route in BC is going to be the short USA-run cross border service that runs to and from Vancouver BC and Seattle WA.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 1,531 times
I used to take Greyhound at least 4 times a year to visit my family when I lived down south. Like those junior hockey players, I have a lot of memories of riding the bus. It's ironic that I'm reading Atlas Shrugged right now, which is basically about a crumbling transportation company.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:43 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Some are saying that Greyhound isn't losing money at all, it's just that their not making ENOUGH profit. No idea if this is true.

If so, then perhaps Wilson's or Pacific Coach may see an opportunity...then again, I think we would of heard some rumblings by now.

https://www.pacificcoach.com

Wilsons Transportation | Charter Bus Company Victoria BC

Old 07-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Interesting call in show on CBC radio yesterday. BC Today talked about this issue, and how it affect many who have health issues and need to travel for appointments. This has thrown them into almost panic mode.

Did read though, that some other bus companies might fill in the gaps. Also a lot of callers supported the idea of having a bus company run by the province, like BC Ferries.

Personally I would LOVE to see more rail and buses.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Perhaps they never fully recovered ridership since that shocking
gruesome stabbing and beheading of passenger Tim McLean by Vince Li
almost exactly ten years ago on a Greyhound Bus near Portage Laprairie, Manitoba.

Made me think twice about riding the bus.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme Mann View Post
They haven't made a dime in 10 years. Buses run with 10 people on them, they cancelled as many runs as they can but they have agreements with provincial gvts that actually force them to keep certain ones. That's what is killing them..TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT
To the best of my knowledge there are NO agreements between Greyhound and any provincial government.

If there was, then they wouldn't be able to cut all service in several provinces at the same time. It would be staggered according to each provincial agreement.

As for buses being empty, not on any of the routes that I've had to book for family members. Quite often they are full.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
This is what taking the bus in Canada is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sasEATpeguw

Old 07-14-2018, 06:40 PM

565 posts, read 672,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
To the best of my knowledge there are NO agreements between Greyhound and any provincial government.

If there was, then they wouldn't be able to cut all service in several provinces at the same time. It would be staggered according to each provincial agreement.

As for buses being empty, not on any of the routes that I've had to book for family members. Quite often they are full.
The Quebec government subsidizes Intercar, Orléans Express, Galland and other regional companies so that they can maintain service on unprofitable long-distance lines.

La crise de l'autocar n'épargne pas le Québec.

Each MRC (regional association of municipalities) is also responsible for transit and para-transit. This is also subsidized by the government. Some MRC's have city-like transit: the Laurentians, for example, have a main trunk from St-Jérôme to Mont-Tremblant, with 10 departures per day, per direction, and multiple les frequent lines and taxibuses (taxis that work like buses, with a schedule and small fares), linking pretty much every village in the region over a 200km distance. See L'inter des Laurentides. Other regions rely solely on taxibuses and spare seats on school buses. But pretty much all regions have some kind of coverage - subsidized by both the municipalities and the Quebec government.

This could be an option for Western Canada too.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:22 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme Mann View Post
yup 2008 and the culprit has already been freed by our spineless Liberal gvt.
Really?

Parole Board of Canada: An independent administrative tribunal, the Board has the exclusive authority under the Corrections and Conditional Release Act to grant, deny, cancel, terminate or revoke day parole and full parole. In addition, the Board is responsible for making decisions to grant, deny and revoke pardons under the Criminal Records Act and the Criminal Code.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parole_Board_of_Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada