Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I haven't, but my father was in some sort of reserves when he was younger. My maternal grandfather served in the Second World War and in Korea.

My paternal great uncles served in the First World War. In fact my aunt was talking about them the other day, saying that they were in the trenches, and never talked about it when they got home.
That was characteristic of most Canadian veterans of both the WW's. My older brother, retired CWO1 (old designation: Chief Petty Officer 1st Class, before Hellyer screwed things up) RCN and I were only told of our father's exploits after we'd both attained middle age and had served ourselves.

Some of his experiences as a Troop Sgt Armoured Corp (the real deal senior sgt. Brad Pitt - Fury commander of a group of tanks role) raised the hair on the backs of our necks. He survived N. Afrika, up through the Liri valley of Italy, The liberation of Holland, action in Belgium, France and later Germany. Wounded twice, returned to action twice. Eventually came home, hugged his wife and son and, I think, immediately got busy creating me.

His reluctance to relate his experiences were centered around his belief that so many young men had died and everyone who lost someone suffered so much, he thought it disrespectful to their memory to simply tell the tales like they were some sort of glorious escapade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 03:43 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Not me, but friends and relatives.

My uncle was in the RCN during WWII, and received the Atlantic Star. My great-uncle was in WWI (21st Bn. CEF). A friend of my Dad's was at Dunkirk with the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment (a.k.a. the Hasty Pees). Later, he went up the boot of Italy.

Ever seen "The Devil's Brigade"? Cliff Robertson plays one of my relatives.

My own friends who joined the military participated in UN peacekeeping in Cyprus and Vietnam; and one did maintenance on aircraft at RCAF bases here at home.

Friends' grandchildren are currently in Army Cadets, and they love it. One, at least, is thinking about a military career.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 09-20-2018 at 03:53 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Not me, but friends and relatives.

My uncle was in the RCN during WWII, and received the Atlantic Star. My great-uncle was in WWI (21st Bn. CEF). A friend of my Dad's was at Dunkirk with the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment (a.k.a. the Hasty Pees). Later, he went up the boot of Italy.

Ever seen "The Devil's Brigade"? Cliff Robertson plays one of my relatives.

My own friends who joined the military participated in UN peacekeeping in Cyprus and Vietnam; and one did maintenance on aircraft at RCAF bases here at home.

Friends' grandchildren are currently in Army Cadets, and they love it. One, at least, is thinking about a military career.
Chevy; had no idea some areas in Canada still had that program going.

High school in my home town of Aurora, Ont. involved us being issued with WWII khaki itchy wool serge kit complete with boots, beret and gators that had to be spit shined for parade. We square bash drilled with the old Lee Enfield MK IV training issue .22's under the history teacher drill instructor, an ex 48th Highlander veteran (a very loud man) and had to range qualify as part of that program.

The various high schools in Ontario of the day used to have parade ground drill and range shooting competitions.

Very happy to hear it's still running somewhere.

Dang, those are good memories!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Army and Navy (ironically) cadets are very active in Calgary.

Both Strathconas and Highlanders have very active corps. HMCS Calgary has a Sea Cadets Corps as well. It was a real loss when the PPCLI moved to Edmonton.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Chevy; had no idea some areas in Canada still had that program going.........
There are currently 52,890 Cadets across Canada. Total Number of Sea Cadets in Canada: 8, 490. Total Number of Army Cadets in Canada: 18, 920. Total Number of Air Cadets in Canada: 25, 890.

http://cadets.ca/en/about/cadets-faq.page

In July this year there were 1500 Army, Sea and Air cadets met in Vernon, BC for doing 6 weeks of summer training.

Article and video: https://globalnews.ca/news/4329042/c...ing-in-vernon/

Here in Maple Ridge there are busy programs for Air and Army cadets and we often see them around town being involved in community volunteer activities and in drumming up donations for their programs or for various charitable purposes. I don't know if we have a Sea cadets program here, if we do I've not seen them, but I'm pretty sure they are in Richmond and Vancouver. But the cadets here are often in parades and they're especially busy around the community prior to and during Remembrance Day. Great kids, they look so sharp and they're so polite.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-20-2018 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Oh, I was wrong, we do have the Sea Cadets in my town too, I just discovered on this map where all the Cadet Corps are all located across Canada: Cadet Corps and Squadron Directory

Old 09-20-2018, 12:53 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Who remembers this sad incident at CFB Valcartier in 1974?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KSN-gtCA9_k

Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There are currently 52,890 Cadets across Canada. Total Number of Sea Cadets in Canada: 8, 490. Total Number of Army Cadets in Canada: 18, 920. Total Number of Air Cadets in Canada: 25, 890.

Frequently Asked Questions Cadets Canada

In July this year there were 1500 Army, Sea and Air cadets met in Vernon, BC for doing 6 weeks of summer training.

Article and video: https://globalnews.ca/news/4329042/c...ing-in-vernon/

Here in Maple Ridge there are busy programs for Air and Army cadets and we often see them around town being involved in community volunteer activities and in drumming up donations for their programs or for various charitable purposes. I don't know if we have a Sea cadets program here, if we do I've not seen them, but I'm pretty sure they are in Richmond and Vancouver. But the cadets here are often in parades and they're especially busy around the community prior to and during Remembrance Day. Great kids, they look so sharp and they're so polite.

You know, It's strange that I often see Cadets from all three branches represented in each issue of the Legion magazine yet never once thought the programs were still thriving. This thread has been an educational one for me.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:09 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Chevy; had no idea some areas in Canada still had that program going.

High school in my home town of Aurora, Ont. involved us being issued with WWII khaki itchy wool serge kit complete with boots, beret and gators that had to be spit shined for parade. We square bash drilled with the old Lee Enfield MK IV training issue .22's under the history teacher drill instructor, an ex 48th Highlander veteran (a very loud man) and had to range qualify as part of that program.

The various high schools in Ontario of the day used to have parade ground drill and range shooting competitions....
Yes, that's where my Dad learned to shoot--at high school. Dad was a good shot with a rifle, but not as good as me. They had abolished shooting at high school by the time I got there, but I had Dad's lessons and rifle to guide me, to practice with (post and notch sights), and I ended up trying out for Canada's Olympic team in the 1980s. No, I did not use Dad's rifle; by that time, I had my own Anschutz 1813 (proper iron sights) with which to compete.

I didn't get to the Olympics, but I came close. At any rate, without those early lessons from Dad as to how to shoot a rifle (as well as gun safety), I'd never have had the experiences I've had on the range and in competition. My friends' grandkids in Army Cadets are enjoying shooting air rifles at the armory; I have offered to coach them when they move up to a real firearm (that is, one that shoots real bullets). I'd like to see them do well in shooting, as I did. Heck, I'd like to see them do better than me--I'm sure that they can.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 09-21-2018 at 02:00 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 AM

The high school in Aurora built to replace the old one in about 1952, if memory serves, had it's range built right under the high school gymnasium and it extended almost the full length of the school. All concrete walls with no sound coming up from below at all. The wood working shop and drafting classroom were right over the firing line and we never heard a thing.

Competition shooting Chevy? The last time any of that happened for me was basic for the Navy at Cornwallis and it was only rivalry between us inductees. I have fired more handguns since wintering in Fla. with the guys don there making sure to include me in one of their many range days. I buy ammo and targets as repayment for the privilege.

The pity is, urbanization drives ranges and gun clubs further afield every year and they're all but non-existent in my old neck of the woods now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada