Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 04:50 AM

3 posts, read 1,668 times

Advertisements

I am heading to Churchill in January, and will fly into Winnipeg midday. I will spend one day in the city in case my flight is delayed, then take the train to Churchill. With a whole day to spend, and it being a Monday, do I:

1. Want a hotel near the airport or train station?

2. I don't drive in snow, so what is my best bet getting to/from the train station? Most hotels will offer shuttles to the airport, but I don't see them to the train station.

3. What is there to do in Winnipeg on a Monday?

Thanks for your help.

~a soon-to-be Frozen Floridian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
I'm going to assume that since you are going to Churchill, that you're healthy and fit enough to do some walking.

Definitely stay at a hotel near the train station. The airport is near nothing of interest.

The Inn at the Forks or the Fort Garry are both walking distance from the station and quite nice. That whole area has lots of interesting things to see and do. Behind the station is The Forks - a national historical site, with lots of shops and local restaurants and whatnot. The Canadian Human Rights museum is close by and very cool, if you are interested in history.

If you want to do something active and can skate, the River Trail is on the rivers at the Forks. It has been in some years the longest skating rink in the world (depends on our weather and other factors) You can rent skates.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:30 PM

613 posts, read 815,222 times
It would be helpful if you mentioned what you find interesting. There are several museums, art galleries, interesting shops to see, and many outdoor activities.

One thing you can do, that you can't in most other cities, is tour a working mint. You can contact the Royal Canadian Mint and book a time for a tour.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
It would be helpful if you mentioned what you find interesting. There are several museums, art galleries, interesting shops to see, and many outdoor activities.

One thing you can do, that you can't in most other cities, is tour a working mint. You can contact the Royal Canadian Mint and book a time for a tour.

Thank you for mentioning the Mint, I will definitely look into that. I had hoped to go to the Planetarium, but alas, it is closed on Mondays. I suspect many museums will be. Whatever I do will need to be indoors, since I don't have the footwear required for that kind of cold (I will be borrowing some in Churchill). I enjoy history and art, although modern art would not be my choice. Would there be a good bookstore in the area? I have a long train ride ahead of me.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I'm going to assume that since you are going to Churchill, that you're healthy and fit enough to do some walking.

Definitely stay at a hotel near the train station. The airport is near nothing of interest.

The Inn at the Forks or the Fort Garry are both walking distance from the station and quite nice. That whole area has lots of interesting things to see and do. Behind the station is The Forks - a national historical site, with lots of shops and local restaurants and whatnot. The Canadian Human Rights museum is close by and very cool, if you are interested in history.

If you want to do something active and can skate, the River Trail is on the rivers at the Forks. It has been in some years the longest skating rink in the world (depends on our weather and other factors) You can rent skates.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely look into The Inn at the Forks. While I would enjoy some good walking, it will depend on the weather. As a Floridian, I have begged and borrowed winter gear, but I lack warm boots (I will be borrowing those in Churchill). If I can make short walks from museum to shop in The Forks, I think I'll be fine.

Now that I have an idea of where to look, I'll get right on it. Thanks again!

Old 12-16-2018, 04:15 PM

613 posts, read 815,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMA18 View Post
Thank you for mentioning the Mint, I will definitely look into that. I had hoped to go to the Planetarium, but alas, it is closed on Mondays. I suspect many museums will be. Whatever I do will need to be indoors, since I don't have the footwear required for that kind of cold (I will be borrowing some in Churchill). I enjoy history and art, although modern art would not be my choice. Would there be a good bookstore in the area? I have a long train ride ahead of me.
There is a small, but interesting museum right inside the train station. The Winnipeg Railway Museum. It has some vintage rolling stock and equipment. It includes Manitoba's first steam locomotive, "The Countess of Dufferin".

There is a good book store in the Forks Market. McNally Robinson.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:56 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
It’s usually deep freeze weather in Winnipeg in January. When looking at the weather forecast, considering the temperature by itself is somewhat meaningless unless there is no wind.
The windchill is what you should look at. Daytime windchill temperatures in January can be -30 degrees F or worse.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-...?unit=imperial

The current windchill temperature is listed in the right column. In the forecast section, windchill temperatures are not forecast beyond a day so keep that in mind.

Your ears, nose, fingers and toes are the first to freeze up.

Also keep in mind that a snowstorm could hit while you are in the city which might affect your plans.

All that said, temperatures this month have been a pleasant surprise. That trend may or may not continue.

I hope you have proper footwear. Packed snow can be slippery and it is not always easy to spot icy patches on bare pavement. Also, even a little sprinkling of fresh snow can hide icy patches.

You couldn’t have picked a worse month to visit Winnipeg. It’s wonderful here in summer.

Last edited by cdnirene; 12-16-2018 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada