Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel?
POSITIVE - Thats so fascinating; I wonder what they could be doing here! 13 25.00%
NEUTRAL - Doesn't really think anything of it. 30 57.69%
NEGATIVE - America's govt causes too much problems in the world 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 12:08 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,129,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We will always disagree on this.

As I've said in the past. Yes, certain accents from California may take a minute for an English Canadian to detect, but we will detect it in the first few sentences, and not only by accent, but by cadence, and certain words.
Do you actually think most people are attuned and care enough about these things to notice these differences in casual conversation? I mean, I am very attuned (not because I care, just because I am curious) and I sometimes have trouble telling people apart. My dad, who lives in Ontario BTW, also likes to play this game and like me from time to time when he mistakes Americans for Canadians.

For the record, I'd agree that it's easier to pick out Americans in Canada than it is to pick out Canadians in the U.S. I have no reason why that is but many Canadians really blend in seamlessly when they're down there.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:49 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do you actually think most people are attuned and care enough about these things to notice these differences in casual conversation? I mean, I am very attuned (not because I care, just because I am curious) and I sometimes have trouble telling people apart. My dad, who lives in Ontario BTW, also likes to play this game and like me from time to time when he mistakes Americans for Canadians.

For the record, I'd agree that it's easier to pick out Americans in Canada than it is to pick out Canadians in the U.S. I have no reason why that is but many Canadians really blend in seamlessly when they're down there.
Like i said, we will never agree on this.

Perhaps I'm just more attuned than most

Old 05-24-2019, 05:16 PM

7,310 posts, read 9,356,910 times
Quote:
I didn't vote in the poll and just looked at it after my posts.

The negative is telling. It assumes we will treat people differently because of their government.
I didn't vote either.

Quote:
Like i said, we will never agree on this.

Perhaps I'm just more attuned than most
You and me both then.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I didn't vote either.

You and me both then.
Thanks

Poor Acajack, I've been a bit of a thorn in his side the last couple of threads.

All in good fun.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,405,685 times
On initial contact Americans are usually ok but any prolonged contact and the politics will arise and you will then be judged on your political preferance and will probably be drawn into arguements defending your POV.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:46 AM

3,632 posts, read 3,429,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
On initial contact Americans are usually ok but any prolonged contact and the politics will arise and you will then be judged on your political preferance and will probably be drawn into arguements defending your POV.
Naw. You suddenly need to go to the bathroom, or you want to accompany your friend while he goes out for a smoke, or you simply pay the tab and leave.

If you come back because you haven't paid your tab yet, just ask what the score is on the game on the TV. Politics will be forgotten. Bonus points if your team is also the American's. If they want to continue with political talk, just ignore them.

Locally, we're pretty good at getting Americans passing through to avoid political discussions at the local sports bar.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I them around hotels downtown...you can usually tell an American by noticing a lot of them are walking around with a cane or walker or with a limp of some kind and they're not what I would call "old"...50-60 years on average.
Wow, that's really interesting because as an American, I have wracked my brain and honestly cannot think of a single American that I know who is in their 50s or 60s and limps or uses a cane or a walker.

Maybe you're seeing people who are really in their 70s or older and who just look great other than their limp!

Old 05-25-2019, 08:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Naw. You suddenly need to go to the bathroom, or you want to accompany your friend while he goes out for a smoke, or you simply pay the tab and leave.

If you come back because you haven't paid your tab yet, just ask what the score is on the game on the TV. Politics will be forgotten. Bonus points if your team is also the American's. If they want to continue with political talk, just ignore them.

Locally, we're pretty good at getting Americans passing through to avoid political discussions at the local sports bar.
Haaar Chevy! Right on the button. When, after using all of your methods, it is unavoidable, I resort to the inane by suggesting my favourite politicians are all dead and my less favourite ones are, at some point, about to be. If that doesn't elicit a laugh, I'll segue to telling all in attendance I place more import on having a preference for Chocolate Labs over Golden retrievers. After a couple of those, they eventually get the idea I'm not easy prey and move on to another topic.

On the whole; those Americans I count as friends or even just as casual associates I've found to be of the type who are loath to confront, and if they are inadvertently, or even unwillingly drawn into a political discussion they keep it brief, amongst themselves and avoid involving me. At least one of them will invariably mention it being impolite to discuss their politics while in my company.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:57 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
This is an odd question, because it assumes that Americans visiting Canada whether in their cars or not, are rare.

It's part of the normal landscape, at least in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

In Vancouver you expect to see license plates from Washington, Oregon and California. Very, very common. In eastern BC more from Idaho and Montana.

The only time I think about an American plate is if it's from the east coast of of the US, like Florida, much rarer here in Vancouver.

I have met some Americans who don't live near the Canadian border, visiting Canada ( Vancouver ) for the first time and expect a reaction when they say they are from " AMERICA ". They gave me the impression that they think they are a rare breed and didn't stop to think of the millions of Americans who visit daily.
I sat in my car in line at the border yesterday with a whole lot of other Americans, many with boats on trailers, going to Ontario for the US Memorial Day weekend.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:02 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Really? I completely avoid what's going on in my government because I hate politics and just can't stand listening to it. I tell the Canadian, who is a news junkie, to let me know if anything is going on in my country that I need to know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada