Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:36 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

It would never end up being anything that is not cosmetic and fake.

I mean, let's get real.

Getting French beyond the cutesy Chef Pierre and Ma Chérie stuff has been like pulling teeth and it is major, totally codified international and UN language spoken everyday by a quarter of the country, and by the second most populated province and city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 11:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It would never end up being anything that is not cosmetic and fake.

I mean, let's get real.

Getting French beyond the cutesy Chef Pierre and Ma Chérie stuff has been like pulling teeth and it is major, totally codified international and UN language spoken everyday by a quarter of the country, and by the second most populated province and city.
I think you are missing the point. This isn't about getting everyone in Canada to learn to speak an indigenous language. It is trying to grow and foster indigenous languages among the indigenous population themselves.
This already exists in NWT which has 9 official indigenous languages alongside English and French. Nobody forces a non indigenous person in the NWT to learn an indigenous language.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:01 PM

English-French bilingualism was never about forcing everyone to learn the other language either.

Now I would be strongly in favour of indigenous language rejuvenation but not sure official language status is the way to go.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:27 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
English-French bilingualism was never about forcing everyone to learn the other language either.

Now I would be strongly in favour of indigenous language rejuvenation but not sure official language status is the way to go.
I'm not sure how this post fits in with your other post. If the purpose of an official language isn't about forcing the other guy to learn your language, then what does it matter if French hasn't progressed past the cutesy stage? I don't happen to think that's true btw.

There are countries with more than two official languages as I'm sure you know. Sweden has five. (Does Sweden America know all of them as his comment seems to imply he should by virtue of their status?)

I believe Sweden calls them official minority languages.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm not sure how this post fits in with your other post. If the purpose of an official language isn't about forcing the other guy to learn your language, then what does it matter if French hasn't progressed past the cutesy stage? I don't happen to think that's true btw.
Oh I totally agree French is way above cutesy status in Canada. We build skyscrapers, huge bridges, subways, most of the personal watercraft used in tropical waters, the huge steel skeletons for many new NFL or MLB stadiums here, etc., in French, these days.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
I

There are countries with more than two official languages as I'm sure you know. Sweden has five. (Does Sweden America know all of them as his comment seems to imply he should by virtue of their status?)

I believe Sweden calls them official minority languages.
They are national minority languages so not official like Swedish.

But this might be a good approach for indigenous languages.

A good start would be to have full fledged education in these languages for kids in these communities. We still do not have that in most places. Not even in Nunavut BTW.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:53 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
........ there over 60 distinct dialects and at least 35 separate recognized indigenous languages in just BC alone and so many more across the rest of Canada..........

That's a lot of languages to have all government contracts translated into. Driver's tests translated into, added to street signs and signs on government buildings.

Maybe just settle for some government money to support language preservation?

I tell you what, if a few top usage languages were all translated and my tribe's language was not translated, I'd be ticked off and pointing out discrimination. I think that if you do one, you must do them all.

Oh, man, think of all the translators the court system would have to hire.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:35 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
They are national minority languages so not official like Swedish.

But this might be a good approach for indigenous languages.

A good start would be to have full fledged education in these languages for kids in these communities. We still do not have that in most places. Not even in Nunavut BTW.
They are official minority languages not just minority languages. https://www.thelocal.se/20140820/the...rity-languages

Old 07-27-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
They are official minority languages not just minority languages. https://www.thelocal.se/20140820/the...rity-languages
I would argue they are still less "official" than Swedish.

Whereas in Canada under the law and even in practice to a large degree, English and French are equally official.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:27 AM

128 posts, read 143,356 times
Many years ago, I was given the 1198-page A Passamaquoddy-Maliseet Dictionary published by the University of Maine, Orono and Goose Lane Editions in Fredericton, New Brunswick. It weighs about 10 lbs.

Passamaquoddy is spoken in Maine. Maliseet is spoken in New Brunswick. There is also a band in Cacouna, Quebec (near Rivière-du-Loup), known as Malécites in French, but they don't speak the language, only French. Passamaquoddy and Maliseet are essentially the same language, with some dialectal differences (maybe like Acadian and Quebec French). I think now the number of native, fluent speakers is down below 100.

You all know a bit of P-M, I can bet you. For example, the P-M word for 'moose' is mus. The P-M word for 'house', 'dwelling', or 'building' is wikuwam (pronounced wigwam).

Mexico has given official recognition to 364 native languages/dialects. Bolivia officially recognizes 36 native languages. Big deal, though. It is largely symbolic. Quebec nationalists were on it with Bill 101, but even after 40+ years French still has low status vis-a-vis English (depending on context). Making a language official, as others posts have said, changes very little "on the ground", unless official status is accompanied by something a whole lot more substantial. Ireland made Irish Gaelic its "first official language" in 1922(?), but where is it today? Yes, a lot of people know a word or two, but it really isn't a spoken language, except in the shrinking Gaeltachts. Its role remains primarily symbolic. But, hey, you can use it at the EU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada