Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 06:10 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

I’ve been to Montreal and Quebec City. I like both, and Sherbrooke piques my interest as the third largest (free-standing) québécoise city. But is it worth visiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 07:36 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
I briefly visited Sherbrooke back in 2017. It's quite a small city, perhaps not much bigger than Portland, Maine if even that. I didn't find the city itself that exciting though it does have its share of museums. The surrounding region known as the Eastern Townships is very fun however, especially for outdoor activities. If you're going to visit Sherbrooke you might as well do the whole Townships experience and visit Magog, North Hatley, Coaticook, Bromont, and Eastman to name a few nearby places. There are plenty of places to go hiking, biking, boating, skiing, and sightseeing in that whole region. Are you driving up from the U.S.? If so be sure to stop by the Haskell Free Library in Derby Line, VT/Stanstead, Quebec right at the end of Interstate 91 just before the international border. It is one of the very few places in the world where you can enter a building in the US and actually step into Canada without a passport .

Old 03-30-2020, 08:03 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
I wouldn’t make a detour but if you’re thinking about visiting the Eastern Townships, it’s worth the stop.

Portland ME is a good comparison. Old city with good bones, nice downtown (Wellington St), very hilly, has beautiful neighborhoods NW of downtown (Quebec St, Ontario St, Domaine Howard), good parks along the rivers and lakes. Always struck me as a city that’s better to live in than to visit but it’s scenic. Nearby Lennoxville and Bishop’s University are quaint.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
If you're going to visit Sherbrooke you might as well do the whole Townships experience and visit Magog, North Hatley, Coaticook, Bromont, and Eastman to name a few nearby places. There are plenty of places to go hiking, biking, boating, skiing, and sightseeing in that whole region. Are you driving up from the U.S.? If so be sure to stop by the Haskell Free Library in Derby Line, VT/Stanstead, Quebec right at the end of Interstate 91 just before the international border. It is one of the very few places in the world where you can enter a building in the US and actually step into Canada without a passport .
Thanks for the recommendations! I’d be driving up from Massachusetts, and I was hoping to stop at St Johnsbury. I’ve never been to the Northeast Kingdom area, either. Is there much to do in those smaller towns? Perhaps I should try to time my visit with the foliage?

Old 03-30-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I wouldn’t make a detour but if you’re thinking about visiting the Eastern Townships, it’s worth the stop.

Portland ME is a good comparison. Old city with good bones, nice downtown (Wellington St), very hilly, has beautiful neighborhoods NW of downtown (Quebec St, Ontario St, Domaine Howard), good parks along the rivers and lakes. Always struck me as a city that’s better to live in than to visit but it’s scenic. Nearby Lennoxville and Bishop’s University are quaint.
How much time do you think I should allocate for a quality trip to the Eastern Townships? Taking into account that I’d be driving up from Massachusetts..

Old 03-31-2020, 10:53 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
How much time do you think I should allocate for a quality trip to the Eastern Townships? Taking into account that I’d be driving up from Massachusetts..
What do you like most? Scenic drives, hiking, antiques, quaint villages, museums?

The area is similar in diversity to the Berkshires, Western NH or Southern Vermont, so it really depends on how slow you like to travel. Personally I would plan for 3 full days: one day for places west of Magog (Sutton, Bromont, Knowlton, St-Benoit Abbey), one day for the southeastern part (Magog, Coaticook, North Hatley, Ayer’s Cliff), and one day Sherbrooke and points north or east (Asbestos mine, Lac-Mégantic).

Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Sherbrooke is nice enough but I would kind of put it in the "It's just a city" category. I will echo other's recommendations to visit the surrounding Eastern Townships in Quebec. The town of Magog and Lake Mephremagog are particularly nice. There is a boat cruise on the lake out of Magog I did last summer that I really enjoyed. It's beautiful Lake.

St J in VT is really small, though interestingly enough I had Filipino food there which was pretty unexpected. There's some scenic mountain lakes in the NEK you might enjoy. It's the most rural part of the state and it has some towns that I would say are pretty..umm. well.....OUT THERE!

Walrus, if you're looking for a city other than Montreal or Quebec City to visit, you might consider Ottawa. It's just a couple hours beyond Montreal. In the summer nearby Gatineau Park has some nice lakes also. I found Ottawa to be really charming, worthy of a full day and couple nights.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:25 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations! I’d be driving up from Massachusetts, and I was hoping to stop at St Johnsbury. I’ve never been to the Northeast Kingdom area, either. Is there much to do in those smaller towns? Perhaps I should try to time my visit with the foliage?
St. Johnsbury has a museum or two and that's about it. I pretty much drove through it. No, the whole objective of visiting or at least cutting through the Northeast Kingdom is to "get away from it all". It is one of the most pristine regions in New England where you can literally keep a distance from everyone. You mentioned foliage and yes Autumn is a wonderful time to head to the Northeast Kingdom where you can enjoy views of the countryside without the crowds as you would at a place like the Mohawk Trail or Kancamagus Highway. There are of course farms and orchards you can visit too. Be sure to stop by both ends of Lake Willoughby, this deep narrow glacially carved lake in the middle of the region that more resembles a river running through a gorge. This lake looks as if it belongs more in the Rocky Mountains and its views are spectacular for New England standards. As I mentioned before, be sure to visit the Haskell Free Library in Derby Line, right before the border with Canada. If you do, you can tell all of your friends how you legally walked into a building, crossed the border into Canada, and then walked back out into the U.S. without having to go through customs!

Old 03-31-2020, 02:43 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
This is actually really cool in Coaticook:
Foresta Lumina - Parcours nocturne illuminé au Parc de la Gorge de Coaticook - Foresta Lumina

Buy your tickets in advance though.

The part towards the end down in the gorge by the water is downright magical. And I've seen lots of stuff in my time that is supposed to be magical.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:45 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
I’ve been to Montreal and Quebec City. I like both, and Sherbrooke piques my interest as the third largest (free-standing) québécoise city. But is it worth visiting?

Yeah, both Laval and Gatineau are larger than Sherbrooke. Of course Laval is part of the Montreal area and Gatineau is part of Ottawa-Gatineau, though technically Gatineau has it's own metro area: Ottawa-Gatineau (Quebec part) is what it is called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada