Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 05:47 PM

5,116 posts, read 2,060,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That guys accent and voice is so annoying. I could only watch like 30 second of it.
If that could cheer you up, I once saw much worse.

Btw, I saw that tweet posted in French and the guy mentionned after seeing this video then that'll have a bad ending and I have to agree with him. I have a bad feeling about this.
https://twitter.com/liebogregor/stat...29691606425603
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 06:24 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,360,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
OP, I’m baffled by your opening post. What side effects were unexpected? If rails are blocked, freight and people don’t reach their destination, creating consequences. That’s obvious - not unexpected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
And sort of the point of the blockade in the first place.
The point I sought to emphasize is: that societal mega-trends have considerably altered the role of rail transportation in our daily lives, and most of the consuming, as opposed to the traveling public (outside of the commuter services in Toronto and, only relatively recently, Montreal, rail passenger service in Canada is a sideshow) pays little attention to the issue.

Along with the United States, mainland China, and the former Soviet Union, Canada is one of only four national markets in which rail transport plays the dominant role in freight transportation and distribution. Most of the population of Europe lies within 100 miles of a seaport or navigable river, and the canal network is well-developed, leaving only short hauls which can often be served by trucking; a lot of what's left lies in the underdeveloped (Third) World.

Furthermore, the perishable, manufactured and/or high-value goods demanded by a mature, "consumerist" society are naturally better-suited to highway transit; intermodal (container-on-flat-car) services can compete, but only where a large volume of traffic offsets the cost of interchange and trans-loading. The strongest competition faced by the rail carriers of today are barges, pipelines, and coastal ships.

Finally, the increasing diversity of the public, the emancipation of women, and the slow erosion of a culture in which most men were somewhat more familiar with the basics of rail operation has created a shortfall of the public's understanding of how not only the railroads, but the entire freight distribution system operates; I'm not predicting a meltdown, or even a severe crisis, but a system as complicated and inter-dependent as most of those in the industrialized world is likely to encounter a few bumps in the road -- or a few broken rails.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-19-2020 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 08:08 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,919,405 times
So now the protests have mushroomed all across the country (after the arrests were made).
This is NOT going to end well.
Justin is in way over his head.

The bands are very serious about winning this 400 year old war (it never ended). Their opponents? Not so much....

Old 02-25-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
So now the protests have mushroomed all across the country (after the arrests were made).
This is NOT going to end well.
Justin is in way over his head.

The bands are very serious about winning this 400 year old war (it never ended). Their opponents? Not so much....
They're very serious about winning but the next question is to what price if and it's a big if, their victory will be a phyrric victory. One false step and the public opinion could move asap.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:54 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Public opinion is already moving, as for example there was chaos at Union Station in TO Tuesday with thousands of commuters stranded due to GO train lines being blocked.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:54 PM

Could there be more than meet the eyes? I founded by luck this very interesting and informative letter in the Victoria Times-Columnist.
https://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...tax-1.24084400

Quote:
Five people. That is all that it took to shut down Canada’s railroads and cripple our economy.

Five people who claim their traditions are being violated by having a natural gas pipeline cross their land. And many others are buying into it, taking part in protests they really know nothing about.

Our country is being held hostage, but it is not about traditions. It is really about an internal power struggle within the Wet’suwet’un community. It is a dispute over who speaks for the Wet’suwet’un.

Several of your readers have assumed that the hereditary chiefs get their title by birthright. That is not how it works.
They are chosen to be a hereditary chief and to carry a chief’s name. These five people stripped three women of their names and took them for themselves. This is not Wet’suwet’un tradition.
I begin to wonder if these five heridatary chiefs are some sort of Nathan Philips wannabes?

Old 02-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Could there be more than meet the eyes? I founded by luck this very interesting and informative letter in the Victoria Times-Columnist.
https://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...tax-1.24084400

I begin to wonder if these five heridatary chiefs are some sort of Nathan Philips wannabes?
The former mayor of Toronto, for whom the square in front of city hall with the skating rink is named?

Old 02-26-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The former mayor of Toronto, for whom the square in front of city hall with the skating rink is named?
Not that Nathan Phillips, but another one who gained fame last year and became a internet meme when he confronted the Covington High school kids. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ulture-grifter

Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Not that Nathan Phillips, but another one who gained fame last year and became a internet meme when he confronted the Covington High school kids. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ulture-grifter
Oh. Him.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,592,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh. Him.
LOL

My laugh for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada