Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2021, 10:12 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes it is the way it's going.

Reminds me of years ago GM had a car named Nova. It wasn't offensive, but they soon found out that in Spanish, Nova means " not going " and perhaps a name change in Spanish speaking countries was in order.
I remember Chi Chi’s restaurant chain in Canada. I bet most people didn’t know the meaning of the name in Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 11:15 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, I didn't know that one. My mother had a Nova.

Re the vaccines and magnets, they talked about that on the Current Events Coronavirus thread. Stupid Internet tricks.

Re stores in Canada and mask compliance, I went to a chain hardware store the other day, and when trying to pay accidentally touched the cashier when she was handing me the credit card thinger. I said, "Oops, I'm sorry, but I am fully vaccinated, so don't worry." She snapped, "I'm not worried, I was never worried about any of this."

So I said--in a mild, friendly, Canadian-like manner--"Well, my sister had COVID and was on a ventilator and nearly died, so I'm sensitive to the danger it possesses."

She looked kind of shocked and said, "Really? She was that sick? From COVID?"

I said, "Yes, and she's recovering now, although she still has a lot of residual health issues."

The cashier didn't actually say, but I suspect she might have been one of those who don't think it's "real". There haven't been many cases in this part of Ontario, and I learned from the CE events thread that in areas where people don't actually know anyone who had COVID, there's more of a tendency to not take it as seriously.

And...graffiti on horses????
They're out there. This pandemic has certainly shown how many " odd " people there are out there.

I never heard an anti-masker for instance, complete the train of thought of how " government control " of making us wear masks accomplishes anything. Not everyone is in the mask making business

Old 07-07-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I remember Chi Chi’s restaurant chain in Canada. I bet most people didn’t know the meaning of the name in Spanish.
I looked it up.

Ha, ha. The Spanish Hooters!

Old 07-07-2021, 11:55 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
They're out there. This pandemic has certainly shown how many " odd " people there are out there.

I never heard an anti-masker for instance, complete the train of thought of how " government control " of making us wear masks accomplishes anything. Not everyone is in the mask making business
UN Agenda 23 - or maybe 24. This pandemic was planned back in the 70s and "they" were going to do it in the 80s, but something or the other happened.

While walking with my dogs a couple of weeks ago I had a neighbour's son pull in behind me. Unfortunately he launched right into conspiracy theories. At first I said very little as I didn't want to prolong the conversation but he kept going on and on.

Finally I put my hands over my ears and said, "But you are wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You are totally and completely wrong. If you care about the economy then you will wear your mask. What I care about is very simple - it's keeping my husband and parents safe. Everyone has someone they care about and if everyone just behaved in accordance with that, we wouldn't be in a lockdown."

Some years ago his father sheepishly said this son hadn't been "quite right" after he moved to Alberta, lol. (His relationship broke up and he's back.)

I heard more half-baked conspiracy theories in the 40 minutes or so I was stuck there than I ever dreamed possible. He wanted to come over for a glass of wine and I said, sorry, but we're sticking to the health orders.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Seems they bought it in 2015. It was not thought to be inappropriate here, as it is the Dutch name of the founders of the cheese. But I suppose in this interconnected world we must ban words that are inappropriate in every Anglo country. The new branding was only rolled out this month.
I didn't know until very recently that that word was a slur. I'm not sure it's fair to ban words where the slur aspect of it has its history in another country, anglo or not.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
UN Agenda 23 - or maybe 24. This pandemic was planned back in the 70s and "they" were going to do it in the 80s, but something or the other happened.

While walking with my dogs a couple of weeks ago I had a neighbour's son pull in behind me. Unfortunately he launched right into conspiracy theories. At first I said very little as I didn't want to prolong the conversation but he kept going on and on.

Finally I put my hands over my ears and said, "But you are wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You are totally and completely wrong. If you care about the economy then you will wear your mask. What I care about is very simple - it's keeping my husband and parents safe. Everyone has someone they care about and if everyone just behaved in accordance with that, we wouldn't be in a lockdown."

Some years ago his father sheepishly said this son hadn't been "quite right" after he moved to Alberta, lol. (His relationship broke up and he's back.)

I heard more half-baked conspiracy theories in the 40 minutes or so I was stuck there than I ever dreamed possible. He wanted to come over for a glass of wine and I said, sorry, but we're sticking to the health orders.
I haven't really encountered any hardcore conspiracy theorists. The one guy in my circle of friends, that we all thought would be, still obeyed quarantine when he came back from Mexico, still wore a mask, and has been vaccinated. Although, he does believe that Trudeau was making up the numbers for Covid, which of course is ridiculous and pointless.

Not sure how I would handle someone like your neighbour's son.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:33 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I couldn't care less what that Trump person and US patriots say so your analogy is pointless. Nobody in Canada cares about them or what they say or what other people think of what they say. They aren't important. The rest of your reasoning above is of no concern either. Although you might think that kind of stuff is important, it really isn't important and none of it is Canada's problem at this time.

Here is another analogy for you. Imagine Canada is a cookie jar. When mommy tells her kids and their little friends from the neighbourhood to keep their hands out of the cookie jar before dinner time and she puts the cookie jar away out of their reach because she knows what's best for them and the kids whine about it and ask "why?" mommy replies "Because I said so."

And that's all there is to it and no amount of whining or questioning will make any difference to mommy. Mommy will bring the cookie jar back out and open it up to offer some cookies to the kiddies only when SHE is good and ready to do so and not before. The little kids must comply whether they resent it or not because the kitchen and the cookie jar is mommy's domain and whatever she says about it are the rules. Mommy knows what's best for her brood of kids and their little friends.

Canada's cookie jar is closed to the little kiddies for the time being because Canada says so. Them's the rules, just like mommy's kitchen rules, and that's all there is to it.

Sorry you don't speak for this Canadian. We all want to see our tourism back to where it was in 2019. Maybe you have an axe to grind here - I don't know, and I don't care.

By closing the entire country down the Trudeau govt has played into the hands of the Greens - and their desire to return the planet to 700AD population levels. The death toll in Canada matches two US States - Georgia and Florida only one of which locked down for six months, while the other didn't.

This has gone on long enough - it's time to repoen the country and get back to work.= IMHO

Old 07-07-2021, 12:50 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Damn, Zo! It's not often we get to see you let go with both barrels, but when you do--holy hannah! Reps to you, or I would if I could. I cannot, apparently, so this will have to do.
I couldn't even read her rants. If someone is that patronizing and unpleasant, their message isn't going to get through, because people will just skip past it in disgust.

Not to mention that equating the government's relationship with its citizens and foreign nationals to a mommy guarding her cookie jar from ignorant and greedy little kiddies is a an offensive and dangerous analogy.

Last edited by saibot; 07-07-2021 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-07-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I haven't really encountered any hardcore conspiracy theorists. The one guy in my circle of friends, that we all thought would be, still obeyed quarantine when he came back from Mexico, still wore a mask, and has been vaccinated. Although, he does believe that Trudeau was making up the numbers for Covid, which of course is ridiculous and pointless.

Not sure how I would handle someone like your neighbour's son.
A local business had a sign on their door stating masks were optional and then something lengthy involving a conspiracy theory which I didn't bother to read. This was a very small local business who was an essential service and therefore not really impacted by the lockdown.

The owner had been rambling on about his theories for a year before he put his sign up and then, since he was asking for it, he was reported.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:15 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Sorry you don't speak for this Canadian. We all want to see our tourism back to where it was in 2019. Maybe you have an axe to grind here - I don't know, and I don't care.

By closing the entire country down the Trudeau govt has played into the hands of the Greens - and their desire to return the planet to 700AD population levels. The death toll in Canada matches two US States - Georgia and Florida only one of which locked down for six months, while the other didn't.

This has gone on long enough - it's time to repoen the country and get back to work.= IMHO
Honestly you sound like you are the one with an axe to grind.

Most of the country is open and it wasn't Trudeau calling all the shots. Safety guidelines and closures were decided by the provinces for the most part, many who are lead by conservative governments. I am not a fan of trudeau but you can't blame him. The border will open when the time is right.

We wall want to see everything get back to normal. comparing the entire country to two different states is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada