Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2021, 07:26 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing Netwit and I want to apologize for my outburst a few months back regarding the people protesting. I need to learn to be more patient and listen more. Sorry again. I know I have been critical of them in the past but despite the amount of antivaxxers in the stanley area I actually really like driving down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I did see that. I'm not sure what to comment on because

1)Mennonite history influences Mennonite choices, something that it seems to me is hard for outsiders to grasp. These particular Mennonites are the ancestors of the 1874 migration. They left Russia because of the Russian Empire's russification policies. They left Canada 50 years later because of the Canadian government's attempt to do the same.

2) these conspiracy theories weren't invented by Mennonites

3) Mennonites are transnational. We never moved to places where we weren't invited and the Mexican, and central American Mennonites mostly hold dual citizenship and go back and forth enough times to make your head spin. In Belize one Mennonite farmer I met was preparing for an auction in advance of his move to Canada because "Belize is too liberal." So I don't over think a few families leaving as families are always leaving and returning. So I'm not sure these families leaving wasn't an attempt by the reporter to make a story where there was none.

4)we Mennonites never take well to the idea of governments in our business and it doesn't seem likely to be bred out of us after 500 years.

5) the government so mishandled everything about this pandemic that it is no wonder a lot of people, Mennonite and otherwise, believe in conspiracy theories.

I could make a lot of points on both sides of the question but I doubt anyone here is that interested in Mennonites. There were a couple of minor things that bothered me about the story. The writer is Mennonite and she writes that they call themselves "Dietsche" as though this is some special name. "Dietsche" means "German." When speaking in our mother tongue and referring to ourselves as an ethnic group, we might call ourselves "Dietsche," we might also call ourselves "Mennoniten," or "Mennists." But it's a low German word, not an identity specific to that group.

And how can Suderman not know that unless, she somehow thought it added an angle to the story, but one that doesn't exist?

I've posted enough on this forum so that every regular knows my position on the matter of vaccines and the pandemic. I don't know if I've shared the conversation I had with my husband's doctor - I asked him why so many nurses were anti vaccine. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish a couple of times and then sighed and said, "I know. "

The part I find troublesome is that if the health care system can't convince its nurses that these vaccines are safe, how do you begin to convince under educated people that they are?

And for those who might be interested in the backstory of Mennonite migration, here is a link to a Maclean's 1922 article of the migration from Canada to Mexico, which is interesting as an historical article of western Canada settlement

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/...ennonites-trek

And here is one about the background against which Mennonites left the Russian Empire to begin with

https://pier21.ca/research/immigrati...-accommodation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 11:28 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Thanks for sharing Netwit and I want to apologize for my outburst a few months back regarding the people protesting. I need to learn to be more patient and listen more. Sorry again. I know I have been critical of them in the past but despite the amount of antivaxxers in the stanley area I actually really like driving down there.
Thanks.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:47 PM

444 posts, read 283,219 times
Rt values of the G7,
Canada is really standing out now being the only G7 member with falling cases. And deaths are down to an average of 7 day

Old 07-21-2021, 12:17 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Rt values of the G7,
Canada is really standing out now being the only G7 member with falling cases. And deaths are down to an average of 7 day

Canada still has the most restrictions, also it is the least densely populated of that list.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Rt values of the G7,

Give it a moment because if Canada has a claim to anything positive regarding this pandemic, it has also shown how we can hit a homer then trip and break an ankle going round second base.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:01 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Canada still has the most restrictions, also it is the least densely populated of that list.
Here in BC restrictions are pretty light, and a lot has been removed. There are no restrictions on personal gatherings for instance. Organized gatherings are set at 50 percent.

Gyms, pools etc can operate at normal capacity.

Masks for the fully vaccinated are not required, for those that aren't it's recommended but it's on a honour system.

Watching how the variants will affect this is prudent. In a month, I believe all restrictions will be gone here in BC.

As for density. Canada, like the US, has over 80 percent of people living in dense cities. This article touches on that. It's a year old, but it still applies.

However, what I'd like to see is an in depth study, on the virus and density. My guess is that density plays a part, but it's how different regions reacted to the pandemic, that is more important. Hence, why you see very little true complaining about the restrictions put in place in Canada. We can see the results.

https://cityobservatory.org/density-...d-in-cascadia/

Old 07-21-2021, 11:42 AM

This is concerning.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cape-cod-c..._live_hero_hed

Old 07-21-2021, 12:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
It should be concerning, but shouldn't be unexpected. I think covid clusters should be expected in the weeks following the July 4th holiday weekend when crowds of people weren't keeping their distance from each other. I'm sure this won't be the last covid cluster we hear about within the year ahead. Some people just can't learn lessons no matter how hard the lessons are pounded into their heads.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It should be concerning, but shouldn't be unexpected. I think covid clusters should be expected in the weeks following the July 4th holiday weekend when crowds of people weren't keeping their distance from each other. I'm sure this won't be the last covid cluster we hear about within the year ahead. Some people just can't learn lessons no matter how hard the lessons are pounded into their heads.

Probably you missed the part that most people were vaccinated and some even had bad symptoms after getting sick.

Quote:
Town Manager Alex Morse told ABC News on Monday that the "vast majority" of the COVID-19 cases associated with the town's outbreak are among vaccinated individuals.
Quote:
However, on Monday, right after leaving Provincetown, he began to feel sick, coming down with a fever, and experiencing shortness of breath, a sore throat and cold-like symptoms. “Today, my fever is even worse,” Chagnon said on Tuesday. Although his symptoms have been manageable, “it's definitely not what I expected being fully vaccinated.”
If the vaccine is not the answer for getting back to normal, then there is no hope for the near future until the virus becomes naturally weaker.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Probably you missed the part that most people were vaccinated and some even had bad symptoms after getting sick.

If the vaccine is not the answer for getting back to normal, then there is no hope for the near future until the virus becomes naturally weaker.
It was said from the beginning that vaccinated people can get Covid. The takeaway I get from the article, is that being vaccinated is better than not being vaccinated. The vast majority vaccinated people that got Covid had mild symptoms. One guy says it was worse that he expected, but still manageable. Take his opinion for what it's worth. Some people get a cold and soldier on, some get a cold and think they're dying. Someone getting the same symptoms as him, may have just shrugged them off.

NOW if vaccinated people in any significant numbers get Covid and need hospitalization, then that to me, would a cause for concern.

There is talk that the J&J vaccine isn't as effective against variants. I wonder what vaccines the ill people had?

To me, the vaccines ARE the answer and that's what we have to go with, until evidence suggests otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada