Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2021, 09:01 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
70% won't be enough based on our experience.
Considering the fact there is no herd immunity with covid even 100% in a single country might not be enough. Might have to wait for the virus to weaken when everyone in the world has been exposed through natural infection, vaccination or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 10:01 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Considering the fact there is no herd immunity with covid even 100% in a single country might not be enough. Might have to wait for the virus to weaken when everyone in the world has been exposed through natural infection, vaccination or both.
You might be right about that, and if that's the situation that would be okay too, but I don't think we know yet though that it's a fact that there is no herd immunity with covid. It seems to me that it's far too soon in the game for that to have been established as a fact already. Your claim is the first I've heard about it so I'm curious about what is the source that you got that information from.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You might be right about that, and if that's the situation that would be okay too, but I don't think we know yet though that it's a fact that there is no herd immunity with covid. It seems to me that it's far too soon in the game for that to have been established as a fact already. Your claim is the first I've heard about it so I'm curious about what is the source that you got that information from.

Don't they talk about this in Canada? We don't have herd immunity with flu or cold but they don't affect our lives.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ainst-covid-19

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

Also, Singapore, where 80% of the whole population has had 2 doses of the vaccine, has seen record covid cases in the last month. Their deaths through early September since the start of the pandemic were 55. Now a month later, they have nearly doubled to 107. The country once again imposed restrictions on social gatherings because their health system has been overwhelmed but they understand that covid is not going away so we have to learn to live with it.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...es-2021-10-01/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/01/risi...s-endemic.html

https://fortune.com/2021/09/28/singa...ases-vaccines/

Old 10-03-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Don't they talk about this in Canada? We don't have herd immunity with flu or cold but they don't affect our lives.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ainst-covid-19

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

Also, Singapore, where 80% of the whole population has had 2 doses of the vaccine, has seen record covid cases in the last month. Their deaths through early September since the start of the pandemic were 55. Now a month later, they have nearly doubled to 107. The country once again imposed restrictions on social gatherings because their health system has been overwhelmed but they understand that covid is not going away so we have to learn to live with it.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...es-2021-10-01/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/01/risi...s-endemic.html

https://fortune.com/2021/09/28/singa...ases-vaccines/
Botev, thanks for going to effort of finding those articles. I skimmed through them and found the perspectives interesting, will go back and read through them more thoroughly later on and do some more research about the findings reported in the articles.

They seem to indicate that herd immunity is possible only if everyone stays put in their own countries/communities and don't do any more travelling the way excessive travelling had become the norm prior to covid-19 raising its head. That makes sense to me and confirms all the more for me that all people everywhere need to stop doing such excessive non-essential travelling around the world.

As I have already been saying here quite vociferously for the past 21 months, it is the excessive numbers of travellers who have taken the luxury of easy travelling for granted that must take full responsibility for spreading the disease around the world and turned it into a pandemic.

Singapore is the 3rd most densely populated nation/state in the world and has been now gradually opening its borders to travellers again after reaching 80% vaccinations so it's no surprise to me what's happening there. They should have kept closed until they have reached 100% full vaccinations and absolutely no new covid cases/variants arising and keep it that way for at least one full year, preferably 18 months, before starting to open up again. Just like every other country should be doing if they want to reach herd immunity within their respective countries.

As it is now, everyone is just stuck in a vicious circle, wash, rinse, repeat of the same old same old and it will stay that way until every country gets serious about the disease. Nobody has taken it seriously enough yet in spite of the number of world wide deaths that have occurred. America is one of the most influential countries around the world but America has proven itself to be one of the very worst culprits for not setting a good example to follow, for too many citizens not taking the pandemic seriously enough and for not keeping travellers out and for not encouraging American citizens to stay home within their own borders. I hope that America will change it's tune soon and stop continuing the vicious circle and set a good example for the rest of the world.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-03-2021 at 01:30 PM..

Old 10-03-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Botev, thanks for going to effort of finding those articles. I skimmed through them and found the perspectives interesting, will go back and read through them more thoroughly later on and do some more research about the findings reported in the articles.

They seem to indicate that herd immunity is possible only if everyone stays put in their own countries/communities and don't do any more travelling the way excessive travelling had become the norm prior to covid-19 raising its head. That makes sense to me and confirms all the more for me that all people everywhere need to stop doing such excessive non-essential travelling around the world.

As I have already been saying here quite vociferously for the past 21 months, it is the excessive numbers of travellers who have taken the luxury of easy travelling for granted that must take full responsibility for spreading the disease around the world and turned it into a pandemic.

Singapore is the 3rd most densely populated nation/state in the world and is now gradually opening its borders to travellers again so it's no surprise to me what's happening there. They should have kept closed until they have reached 100% no new covid cases/variants arising and keep it that way for at least one full year, preferable 18 months. Just like every other country should be doing if they want to reach herd immunity within their respective countries. As it is now, everyone is just stuck in a vicious circle, wash, rinse, repeat of the same old same old until every country gets serious about the disease. Nobody has taken it seriously enough yet in spite of the number of world wide deaths that have occurred.

Singapore is opening to the world because they know the way they have been living in the last 20 months is not sustainable and the economic impact could be devastating. I think Australia and New Zealand will be next to acknowledge this.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Singapore is opening to the world because they know the way they have been living in the last 20 months is not sustainable and the economic impact could be devastating. I think Australia and New Zealand will be next to acknowledge this.
I know why Singapore is opening up, just like many others are opening up for the same reason. Economic impact is a lame excuse if any country allows itself to remain sick and getting sicker and stuck in a vicious circle for the sake of "economy".

Old 10-03-2021, 01:41 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
We have already acknowledged it. Our restrictions will be eased gradually. So next Monday, in NSW at 7O% dv rate, retail, hospitality etc restrictions ease. A couple of weeks later we will get to 80% and that will be a major milestone as overseas travel will start again, albeit with restrictions.

Actually our economy is doing very well. Australians normally spend more money travelling overseas than tourists bring in. The real estate market is booming, as it is in much of the world.

However it is certainly a problem here in that we in Sydney and Melbourne, which has had by far the most virus cases, are more used to the idea of living with it. Places like Tasmania and WA have not had cases in the community for a long time, eg since May 2020 in Tassie. So hard for them to accept that to open up the virus will be introduced.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:05 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:

Singapore is the 3rd most densely populated nation/state in the world and has been now gradually opening its borders to travellers again after reaching 80% vaccinations so it's no surprise to me what's happening there. They should have kept closed until they have reached 100% full vaccinations and absolutely no new covid cases/variants arising and keep it that way for at least one full year, preferably 18 months, before starting to open up again. Just like every other country should be doing if they want to reach herd immunity within their respective countries.

As it is now, everyone is just stuck in a vicious circle, wash, rinse, repeat of the same old same old and it will stay that way until every country gets serious about the disease. Nobody has taken it seriously enough yet in spite of the number of world wide deaths that have occurred. America is one of the most influential countries around the world but America has proven itself to be one of the very worst culprits for not setting a good example to follow, for too many citizens not taking the pandemic seriously enough and for not keeping travellers out and for not encouraging American citizens to stay home within their own borders. I hope that America will change it's tune soon and stop continuing the vicious circle and set a good example for the rest of the world.

I knew about it not being likely to achieve herd immunity, and I believe that to be true. There are too many people in this country and worldwide who are not vaccinated for that to be possible so I'm not sure where all this is going but I don't believe it to be good.

It's why my family is not having a Christmas gathering this year. I have a large family and the grandchildren have started their own families, bringing spouses into the group. And somewhere down the line there's always someone who isn't vaccinated or who is friends or relations with someone who isn't vaccinated.

I also think some people put a little too much faith in the vaccines. You can get it and be asymptomatic but still pass on a full viral load to someone else. And we don't know how the virus will mutate next.

We just had someone who travelled widely through Europe and who lives in BC visit us. It isn't really a comfortable feeling even though they were fully vaccinated. He said they were not asked for their vaccinated status when they entered Italy.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ayor-1.6198628

Nothing could be more detached from reality than expecting [the] unvaxxed in this region to adhere to the new public restrictions on their own," he wrote.

Says the mayor of Morden, and I couldn't agree with him more. There will be some that restrictions cause to be vaccinated, but there are too many who will dig in their heels for the new restrictions to be of much use. Businesses aren't enforcing the rules because they are afraid of their customers, and violators have not been gone after heavily enough by the government itself.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Yet another avoidable tragedy:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/med...tqw?li=AAggNb9

Why are these terrible events still happening with all of the necessary information as to how to mitigate them out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada