Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 07:33 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Hasn't that always been true? Wasn't that the reason for Cancon when it was instituted, I think, in 1972 or 1973?
One of the reasons, anyway.

In all honesty, CanCon arguably only worked in the field of popular (especially rock) music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 07:51 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One of the reasons, anyway.

In all honesty, CanCon arguably only worked in the field of popular (especially rock) music.
I actually learned about CanCon at a bookstore on Yonge Street in Torontoin April 1973. The owner explained to me its raison d'etre.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 2,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Indeed.

Which explains why the Canadian private TV networks especially will lead with a short announcer-read news item that a snowstorm dumped 70 cm on somewhere in the Maritimes, often with no visuals or reports from the scene, and then quickly segue to "and before hitting the Maritimes, that same system dumped 20 cm on the northeastern U.S., as Irving R. Levine reports from New York..." and broadcast a full 2-minute segment with visuals about what went on in New York, Philadelphia and Boston.

Yes. On CTV this morning I learned that you have to be careful when handling fireworks this July 4th when you're using hand sanitizer.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
That's it.
I go to Canadian New sites and it's all about the US.
Why?
too bad the music they sometimes play wasn't from the usa. They always make sure their listeners only get that canadian sheet!
Canadian news sites (especially cbc) want your mind off the appalling economy in canada...the complete failure of the government...thus you get USA news instead....that, and a bunch of Canadian fluff!

Old 09-25-2020, 07:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
too bad the music they sometimes play wasn't from the usa. They always make sure their listeners only get that canadian sheet!
Canadian news sites (especially cbc) want your mind off the appalling economy in canada...the complete failure of the government...thus you get USA news instead....that, and a bunch of Canadian fluff!
As opposed to the "sheet" from guys like this, some Americans take as gospel.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainm...41y?li=AAggFp5

You just cannot make this stuff up. The talking head from Faux News a LOT of Americans rely upon for their news gets defended in a defamation case by his own network/agents convincing the court that no one with an ounce of brains would ever take him seriously!

Now that's 'Irony Gold' right there folks.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:38 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
I wish that were true. I wish no one took Tucker Carlson or anyone on that network seriously. Sadly too many people do including too many Canadians. The amount of right wing craziness I read online from some Canadians is sickening. Many of the talking points and terms they like to use are clearly coming from sources elsewhere, like fox .

Old 09-25-2020, 05:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I wish that were true. I wish no one took Tucker Carlson or anyone on that network seriously. Sadly too many people do including too many Canadians. The amount of right wing craziness I read online from some Canadians is sickening. Many of the talking points and terms they like to use are clearly coming from sources elsewhere, like fox .
Sadly, I'm forced to agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada