Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 10:14 PM

305 posts, read 294,442 times

Advertisements

Especially among non-Quebeckers, considering roots from Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 11:09 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
What????

Old 08-22-2020, 01:38 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
For humans black hair is the most common colour in the whole world. Brown hair is the next most common after black. Hair colour has nothing to do with ethnicity or culture and everything to do with genetics.

With regard to "ethnic" Canadians there are really only one kind of true, original ethnic Canadians. They all have black hair, brown or black eyes and coppery skin and their ethnic cultures vary from tribe to tribe. They are indigenous people descended from indigenous people that were here several thousands of years before Europeans discovered the American continents. They all have their genetic roots in Asia but their ethnic roots are in Canada.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:57 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
For humans black hair is the most common colour in the whole world. Brown hair is the next most common after black. Hair colour has nothing to do with ethnicity or culture and everything to do with genetics.

With regard to "ethnic" Canadians there are really only one kind of true, original ethnic Canadians. They all have black hair, brown or black eyes and coppery skin and their ethnic cultures vary from tribe to tribe. They are indigenous people descended from indigenous people that were here several thousands of years before Europeans discovered the American continents. They all have their genetic roots in Asia but their ethnic roots are in Canada.

You are referring to the first nations people. They come in different colours and different natural hair colours, depending on how mixed they are.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:17 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
You are referring to the first nations people. They come in different colours and different natural hair colours, depending on how mixed they are.
Mixed with what? Are you referring to hybrids, people of mixed race whose original blood has been watered down with that of other races and mixed races?

I am not talking about only the First Nations people, I am talking about all indigenous people of Canada. They are those descended from the original inhabitants of Canada. They are the First Nations, the Inuit and the Métis peoples.

They do not have different colours. They are as I already described, they are different shades of black, brown and copper.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-22-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-23-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They are indigenous people descended from indigenous people that were here several thousands of years before Europeans discovered the American continents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazz12 View Post
Especially among non-Quebeckers, considering roots from Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland.
I am not referring to the indigenous peoples of the territory that is now Canada, but to the European roots of people who made up modern geo-political entity known as Canada.

Having 25% or less Mesoamerican indigenous and 75% Mediterranean roots, with brown hair, I'm curious about that.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
I am not referring to the indigenous peoples of the territory that is now Canada, but to the European roots of people who made up modern geo-political entity known as Canada.

Having 25% or less Mesoamerican indigenous and 75% Mediterranean roots, with brown hair, I'm curious about that.
It's the term "ethnic Canadian" being defined as non-Francophone, non-indigenous, exclusively European descended people that is rubbing people the wrong way here. That is not how most Canadians conceive of Canadians. It smacks of very difficult and painful ideologies that were once more prominent in Canada and that did alot of harm (see history of Manitoba to start with). People mostly aren't willing to engage when the terms of the discussion are separating people out in that way. Canadians aren't just pure bred European Anglophones of British Isles descent so questions like this are kind of pointless.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's the term "ethnic Canadian" being defined as non-Francophone
I have not defined that, as it can be read in the original post:

"Especially among non-Quebeckers, considering roots from Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland."

Old 08-23-2020, 12:35 PM

For me, there are 3 large root groups:

1. Indigenous people (original inhabitants).
2. Ethnic Canadians: French-Canadians, British-Canadians, Metis, Euro-Canadians,
Old mixed root Canadians.
3. Non-ethnic Canadians: Asian Canadians, New mixed Canadians, other Canadians.

All are 100% Canadian citizens.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:11 PM

303 posts, read 128,061 times
Quote:
For me, there are 3 large root groups:

1. Indigenous people (original inhabitants).
2. Ethnic Canadians: French-Canadians, British-Canadians, Metis, Euro-Canadians,
Old mixed root Canadians.
3. Non-ethnic Canadians: Asian Canadians, New mixed Canadians, other Canadians.

All are 100% Canadian citizens.
That might be how you define it, but it is not how most people would. In fact, you have explicitly racialized it by including all white Canadians (i.e. Euro-Canadians) in your 'ethnic Canadian' group and all Asian Canadians in your 'non-ethnic' Canadian regardless of how many generations any of those people have been in Canada. Therefore, despite your attempt to use different terminology, many people would see this as basically dividing citizens into "real Canadian" (white / indigenous) and those who are not really Canadian.

Even though it is still a slightly weird question, you probably should have just asked "How common is black hair among white Canadians" or "How common is black hair among Canadians of European ancestry"? That is, unless throwing in the phrase 'ethnic Canadian' to see how people react was the whole point of the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada