Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 07:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Here's more trivia for you - in searching out the meanings of canadien and canadiennes in reference to cattle guards in Europe I discovered that they are derivatives of the Old Latin word canadensis. The word "canadensis" as it's used today is now a New Latin word that pertains to anything "of Canada". It's used in the latin names to describe hundreds of species of flora and fauna indigenous or especially common or naturalized to Canada and coming from Canada. Like Canada goose or Canada thistle just for example.

But in Old Latin the word "canadensis" meant "many trees", usually hemlock trees specifically, but it also meant other types of trees in general and could mean forests or tree orchards or any place where there were many, many trees.

So Canada which is a derivative of canadiennes (New Latin) which is a derivative of the original canadensis (Old Latin) which means "trees" or "place of the forests or wood groves" (which is very true of Canada) means that Canada means forest - and yes, we are all chips off much older blocks of wood. I think that explains why so many Canadians are stubborn blockheads who don't back down and have their feet very firmly rooted to the ground

Guilty as described!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 03:33 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Here's more trivia for you - in searching out the meanings of canadien and canadiennes in reference to cattle guards in Europe I discovered that they are derivatives of the Old Latin word canadensis. The word "canadensis" as it's used today is now a New Latin word that pertains to anything "of Canada". It's used in the latin names to describe hundreds of species of flora and fauna indigenous or especially common or naturalized to Canada and coming from Canada. Like Canada goose or Canada thistle just for example.

But in Old Latin the word "canadensis" meant "many trees", usually hemlock trees specifically, but it also meant other types of trees in general and could mean forests or tree orchards or any place where there were many, many trees.

So Canada which is a derivative of canadiennes (New Latin) which is a derivative of the original canadensis (Old Latin) which means "trees" or "place of the forests or wood groves" (which is very true of Canada) means that Canada means forest - and yes, we are all chips off much older blocks of wood. I think that explains why so many Canadians are stubborn blockheads who don't back down and have their feet very firmly rooted to the ground

The mighty Castor canadensis...

Old 03-31-2021, 06:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The mighty Castor canadensis...
Most Mighty Castor, mighty engineer indeed! If it wasn't for the ever so humble and cute Castor going to work at reconstructing the land after the glaciers receded then Canada wouldn't have the 3 million+ lakes and the 8,500 rivers and the estimated 338 billion trees that we have today.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:19 PM

444 posts, read 283,099 times
i am 50% that the border will be open around july 1st and 100% certain that it will be open by september 1st.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 03-31-2021 at 09:29 PM..

Old 04-01-2021, 05:15 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,567,184 times
Quote:
Most Mighty Castor, mighty engineer indeed! If it wasn't for the ever so humble and cute Castor going to work at reconstructing the land after the glaciers receded then Canada wouldn't have the 3 million+ lakes and the 8,500 rivers and the estimated 338 billion trees that we have today.

that is just phenomenal when you think about it

Old 04-01-2021, 04:19 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
i am 50% that the border will be open around july 1st and 100% certain that it will be open by september 1st.

You do realize July 1 is Canada Day followed three days after by US' Independence Day. Then September 6 is Labo(u)r Day for both sides. I doubt Canada, who takes great sincerity in the words of their public health experts, would want to reopen right around a time when people on both sides of the border have a lot of free time. The result will be a major influx of visitors from both directions and there will be a lot of stupid people doing stupid things to ruin it all for everyone else. No, either the respective governments will reopen during low season like the dead of winter and/or open in phases with folks with relatives or businesses in Canada being prioritized. I mean I hope I am wrong and restrictions are further eased (a leisure to Canada is always fun and exciting) but right now the stance that most folks are taking against reopening the border quickly to everyone is harder than the gneiss found in the Canadian Shield. Much of the rest of the US outside the border states are apathetic to the border reopening too. Read my second to last post in this thread. It's not just about vaccinations and virus levels, it's about trust in safety.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:06 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
You do realize July 1 is Canada Day followed three days after by US' Independence Day. Then September 6 is Labo(u)r Day for both sides. I doubt Canada, who takes great sincerity in the words of their public health experts, would want to reopen right around a time when people on both sides of the border have a lot of free time. The result will be a major influx of visitors from both directions and there will be a lot of stupid people doing stupid things to ruin it all for everyone else. No, either the respective governments will reopen during low season like the dead of winter and/or open in phases with folks with relatives or businesses in Canada being prioritized. I mean I hope I am wrong and restrictions are further eased (a leisure to Canada is always fun and exciting) but right now the stance that most folks are taking against reopening the border quickly to everyone is harder than the gneiss found in the Canadian Shield. Much of the rest of the US outside the border states are apathetic to the border reopening too. Read my second to last post in this thread. It's not just about vaccinations and virus levels, it's about trust in safety.
Right. Things should stay closed for 2-3 more years just in case.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:12 PM

402 posts, read 192,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I seriously hope you're kidding!

Old 04-01-2021, 06:39 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post

Hey, I don't desire the dreaded outcome anymore than you. I'm just saying where the wind is blowing right now.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:41 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGweather View Post
I seriously hope you're kidding!
I was being sarcastic, but the Canadian government is not kidding and this is pretty much what has been happening for one year. Do you think they would suddenly change their actions? It was from a few weeks to flatten the curve to close to zero infections to vaccines development to everyone vaccinated (vaccination passport) to what else? - eradicate the virus? That's not going to happen. It's a never ending cycle. I really think the Canadian border will not open any time soon and mandatory quarantine in Canada will be a thing even in summer 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada