Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 11:36 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,791,738 times

Advertisements

No, I’m not talking about Canada’s majority demographic, but a series of comic books produced during World War Two when American comic books were banned from importation into Canada. They got their name from the fact they were printed in black and white, although the covers were in colo(u)r. “Nelvana of the North” may be the most famous title, since the superheroine’s name was later used for an animation company.
Canadian Golden Age
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 08:48 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
There is also a Canadian white apricot. I'm familiar with that one.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:37 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Thanks for that. I've never heard the term, "Canadian Whites," but I knew that Canadian artists, writers, and so on, produced comic books for Canadian kids during WWII in black-and-white (and also that the importation of full-colour American comics was somehow prohibited), but I never knew why. Your link explained a lot; thanks again.

My father must have read them during WWII, because he'd often speak to me when I was a child about "What would Nelvana of the North do about this? Or Johnny Canuck?" Me, being totally unfamiliar with these characters, would be left saying, "Uh ... I dunno."

The last time we had a real Canadian comic book hero was Captain Canuck, in 1975.

Canadians have a lot of talent in comic books, but as so often happens, they're lured by the big publishers in the US, and go there. At least, those publishers/producers allow Canadian characters into their universes occasionally; Wolverine (originally from Cold Lake, Alberta) is probably the best known in the Marvel universe. Cerberus, by Canadian Dave Sim, is lesser-known, and published independently, but is still known to comics fans.

A friend is a very talented comic artist, who does not want to go to the US, though he's been invited. No, rather like Alan Moore, he prefers to let his stories and the art done under his approval, stand on their own. If an American publisher chooses to pick them up, great; but if not, well, meh. Their loss.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:46 AM

Of course, a Canadian immigrant co-created “Superman”.

Old 04-13-2022, 01:48 PM

225 posts, read 152,783 times
I'm not white, I'm Québecois.

Old 04-13-2022, 01:54 PM

225 posts, read 152,783 times
Are any of these characters francophones, or not white Anglo people?

Old 04-13-2022, 06:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
Not too familiar with these, but the most famous character, Nelvana of the North, mentioned in the original post, is an Inuit woman.

Old 04-13-2022, 06:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
I'm not white, I'm Québecois.
Quote:
The main characters are Canadians of various different cultures, races and shadings of black and white colours since the pictures in the comics were not in colours, they were drawn in only black and white.

Yes there are even some Quebecois featured. Here is a Wiki article about the Nelvana of the Northern Lights series, Nelvana was Canada's first female superhero and she had many super powers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelvan...orthern_Lights

Old 04-13-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Are you looking for a Québécois superhero to fight the evil Anglos?

Old 04-14-2022, 10:04 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Would this guy fit the bill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktRGXSAUVrQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada