Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 09:19 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times

Advertisements

https://racketmn.com/whats-the-deal-with-winnipeg/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 01:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Interesting read.

Paralyzer's! I haven't thought about those in years.

The writer should really come back in summer.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:41 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Interesting read.

Paralyzer's! I haven't thought about those in years.

The writer should really come back in summer.
We've had the worst winter and spring ever. Since February we've had an Alberta Clipper or something like it come through every week, except for the week we had three! Along with that we had bone-chilling temperatures.

Spring has been very delayed and in keeping with the trend, we are about to be wallop by a Colorado Low this week https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...snow-1.6414835

No one would enjoy Manitoba this year. Someone suggested to me we get rid of Colorado and Alberta to solve our weather issues.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:57 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
We've had the worst winter and spring ever. Since February we've had an Alberta Clipper or something like it come through every week, except for the week we had three! Along with that we had bone-chilling temperatures.

Spring has been very delayed and in keeping with the trend, we are about to be wallop by a Colorado Low this week https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...snow-1.6414835

No one would enjoy Manitoba this year. Someone suggested to me we get rid of Colorado and Alberta to solve our weather issues.
*sigh* I switched to summer tires on Friday.

Manitoba storm could be 'worst blizzard in decades,' says Environment Canada

Old 04-12-2022, 12:33 PM

We are having a typical Spring, although it feels a bit wetter than normal, but we Vancouverites have short memories when it comes to rain.

Yesterday was a glorious sunny, albeit, windy day where the blossoms and magnolia petals were being blown around. The Cherry Blossom Festival is over, but most trees are in full bloom. Daffodils have been out for weeks.

Then today. Dark, wet, thunder storm, and frozen rain. Feels like winter again.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:36 AM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We are having a typical Spring, although it feels a bit wetter than normal, but we Vancouverites have short memories when it comes to rain.

Yesterday was a glorious sunny, albeit, windy day where the blossoms and magnolia petals were being blown around. The Cherry Blossom Festival is over, but most trees are in full bloom. Daffodils have been out for weeks.

Then today. Dark, wet, thunder storm, and frozen rain. Feels like winter again.
As a Magnolia Stater, I’m surprised to learn magnolias grow in Canada.

Old 04-15-2022, 12:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
As a Magnolia Stater, I’m surprised to learn magnolias grow in Canada.
Canada is a very big country, the climate zones across Canada are all different from province to province because of the many differences in geography across the continent. The post you're responding to comes from Vancouver, British Columbia on the west coast, a rainforest region which has the mildest and most magnolia-hospitable climate in all of Canada.

There are over 350 known species of magnolias in the world, of which at least 45 species grow well in the greater Vancouver regional district and Fraser Valley - a total area consisting of more than 1,400 square miles in the extreme southwest corner of British Columbia mainland. And that area is NOT including Vancouver Island and all the other SW coastal islands which basically have the same or even milder climate. The same thing goes for the rainforest regions of Washington state and parts of Oregon and northern California - magnolias grow very well west of the mountains to the Pacific Ocean.

Old 04-15-2022, 02:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Further to above, I just ran outside and took a couple of pictures of the Royal Star magnolia trees in my neighbours' yard across the street. They started blooming about 3 weeks ago and are in full bloom now.

Attached Thumbnails
Interesting article on Winnipeg-royal-star-magnolia.jpg   Interesting article on Winnipeg-royal-star-magnolia-close-up.jpg  

Old 04-15-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Canada is a very big country, the climate zones across Canada are all different from province to province because of the many differences in geography across the continent. The post you're responding to comes from Vancouver, British Columbia on the west coast, a rainforest region which has the mildest and most magnolia-hospitable climate in all of Canada.

There are over 350 known species of magnolias in the world, of which at least 45 species grow well in the greater Vancouver regional district and Fraser Valley - a total area consisting of more than 1,400 square miles in the extreme southwest corner of British Columbia mainland. And that area is NOT including Vancouver Island and all the other SW coastal islands which basically have the same or even milder climate. The same thing goes for the rainforest regions of Washington state and parts of Oregon and northern California - magnolias grow very well west of the mountains to the Pacific Ocean.

I know last year at this time you were concerned about the state of your garden and were unsure how much could be saved. How did it do? Hopefully well, and you're not starting from scratch.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:52 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Further to above, I just ran outside and took a couple of pictures of the Royal Star magnolia trees in my neighbours' yard across the street. They started blooming about 3 weeks ago and are in full bloom now.

OK. We have Star magnolias down here. They typically bloom in February.
The magnolia that is associated with the Deep South is this one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_grandiflora
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada