Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2022, 06:42 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times

Advertisements

and I thought counterfeit banknotes were already hard to detect.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/thousands...-one-1.5895256

Crooks are getting bolder these days. I wonder how in the world did anyone mint these. How could they have been so accurate in diameter? How does anyone have private coin minting equipment anyways?

(Once at Tim Hortons, I did receive a 10 Baht piece for change but that was still real currency albeit another country's. The 10 Baht coin admittedly does look a lot like the Toonie from afar.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 07:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
and I thought counterfeit banknotes were already hard to detect.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/thousands...-one-1.5895256

Crooks are getting bolder these days. I wonder how in the world did anyone mint these. How could they have been so accurate in diameter? How does anyone have private coin minting equipment anyways?

(Once at Tim Hortons, I did receive a 10 Baht piece for change but that was still real currency albeit another country's. The 10 Baht coin admittedly does look a lot like the Toonie from afar.)
A lot of work for so little return.

The phrase "uttering counterfeit money " was new to me. Apparently a legal term for putting forged money into circulation.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:23 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A lot of work for so little return.

The phrase "uttering counterfeit money " was new to me. Apparently a legal term for putting forged money into circulation.
Not just forged money. You can use the word for offering anything fake or fraudulent as payment--a cheque drawn on a nonexistent bank, perhaps. But you're correct; it is rarely used outside of a legal context; most often, in charges under the Criminal Code.

I agree; a lot of effort for very little return.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
And a split toe is what gave it away. LOL.

I saw pictures of the fake, the right front foot with the split toe looks really weird.

Old 05-11-2022, 12:05 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
A good question that the CTV item did not answer: where did he get the technology to counterfeit coins?

I've never been to the Royal Canadian Mint, but I have been to the US Mint in Denver. It's a nice tour, and the tour takes its own path, for reasons of security (think, you're in a glassed-in catwalk above the working floor, while the guide points out what this machine down there does and what that machine down there does, and what that guy is doing, and so on). But there are the stamping machines and the trimming machines and whatnot else that makes sure that the coins (apparently pennies, mostly, from the Denver mint) are the same size and weight and composition.

How did--how could--this guy get that kind of technology, in order to make toonies so perfect with one tiny exception? Now I'm going to have to put on my extra-strong glasses and check the toonies in my pocket change.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:41 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
A good question that the CTV item did not answer: where did he get the technology to counterfeit coins?

I've never been to the Royal Canadian Mint, but I have been to the US Mint in Denver. It's a nice tour, and the tour takes its own path, for reasons of security (think, you're in a glassed-in catwalk above the working floor, while the guide points out what this machine down there does and what that machine down there does, and what that guy is doing, and so on). But there are the stamping machines and the trimming machines and whatnot else that makes sure that the coins (apparently pennies, mostly, from the Denver mint) are the same size and weight and composition.

How did--how could--this guy get that kind of technology, in order to make toonies so perfect with one tiny exception? Now I'm going to have to put on my extra-strong glasses and check the toonies in my pocket change.
It would be sweet irony if the machine, materials and processes cost more than the $20,000

Old 11-29-2023, 06:34 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
More to report on:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10108612/...ow-to-spot-it/

Some of the fake toonies unfortunately are already in circulation . The above article tells ways to spot one. The guy arrested last year in the York Region, north of Toronto, was either an accomplice in the operation or an entirely separate thief making his ordering his own fake coins. The head of this operation just got caught this year and is from Greater Montreal. Some 26,000 fake toonies total were found this time around.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:58 PM

5,010 posts, read 592,987 times
From the article :
Quote:
Marshall said the new $2 fake coins do look real at first glance, but the counterfeits have several distinguishing features that ordinary consumers can spot,
Yes...with my untrained eye, even I could tell there was something seriously wrong with the Queen's nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada